Miami University - Ohio Class of 2025 EA & RD

Our neighbor got more but said it was from the math department. I think it was another $3 or $4K. It seems like their offers for the top tier (OOS) was $21K or $36K. Not sure I saw any other. My daughter was well above the 3.95 (4.5+) so we hoped for more but got the $21K - which is still very generous. But it’s an arms race today. If it’s aid you want, NO ONE is better than Alabama. My daughter has $28K vs. $31.5K tuition but has no interest. Not sure why she applied…but.

My daughter has a full tuition scholarship (4 year renewable) at Ole Miss (also located in an Oxford) based on test scores and GPA. They will superscore this year, but not in the past. If you have a 33+ ACT or 1450+ SAT/ 3.0 GPA you get $24,990 (OOS). Room and Board is around $12,000/year. They are very transparent about merit. Right now, Ole Miss is one of the most affordable options. It’s similar to Miami in a lot of ways (size of student body/campus, small community/college town, beautiful campus). My daughter did not want to tour it, but I dragged her there since we were in the area anyway. She ended up loving it. She loved Miami, too. Going to be a tough decision, but if it was strictly based on cost, Ole Miss beats every school so far (including our in-state schools).

Just curious, if someone is already at the full merit scholarship level, do they ever give them more money to cover any R&B or as a type of stipend?

Also to anyone else, what does the honors program here get someone? My son has been invited to apply to both the Honors College and the Prodesse Scholars Program. The latter doesn’t look like anything he would be interested in as he was admitted to the Engineering school, but what are the benefits of the Honors College here? He originally didn’t apply when he applied to Miami but they’re still encouraging him now to apply so I thought I would ask if someone knows? He’s already been accepted OOS with a 36K annual award so figure we might as well look to see what the differences are with the Honors College. Thanks.

1 Like

@srparent15 I think looking at their website for Honors College would be the best bet. They are changing it up for this upcoming year from what I can tell - much harder to get into with the usual better housing, priority registration as well as more research opportunities.

@NJWrestlingmom Thanks. I did finally find it on their site. The nicer dorms sound good, although not sure he would want to live with other honors students. I know one of my other kids in an honors program didn’t want to live with the kids in her program since she would be in classes with them. That said, it doesn’t say anything about students being in the Honors College being in different classes than non-Honors students. Do you know if that’s the case? That’s a huge perk my daughter has. It’s a completely separate program. Smaller classes, different professors and your core classes for your major are only with those students. Non major classes and electives are with the general school population and of course then are larger.

When did your daughter hear about her Alabama merit scholarship? My daughter was accepted there in November. She has not heard anything about a scholarship. 3.96UW/4.26W, no scores.

@srparent15 my D decided not to apply to honors at Miami, so I didn’t look that closely. Plan is too visit in February, assuming covid and weather cooperate - which is a big ask the way things have been going!

1 Like

You should hear within a week. But honestly you don’t really need to hear. Theirs is posted by GPA. Not in a range like Miami but in specifics. Go to step 2.

But also fill out the general scholarship app. It’s quick and my daughter went from $24K to $28K.

https://scholarships.ua.edu/freshman/out-of-state/

1 Like

If I can get my covid vaccine then I think I will be more willing to take him on some visits this Spring. Otherwise, not sure what we’re going to do. I’m supposed to be in the next group but things are so slow here who the heck knows what is going on. I just hope he has some acceptances come January so he can start making some decisions and have some choices.

1 Like

Where would i find the general scholarship application?

Thank you!

in the mybama portal you set up after admission.

mybama.ua.edu

i think the deadline is the 15th. if you can’t find it, call admissions Monday.

1 Like

@aupaircj, my youngest will be looking at schools next year and has very similar stats. Where was the merit higher?

My daughter’s merit at Beloit and Wooster came in much higher than Miami. Actually Miami pretty much ends up with the highest end cost of all of the ones she’s looking at, Lewis & Clark might have been slightly more. She got the max merit at Wooster, and I think the highest level merit at Beloit. In state in AZ, she’s got full tuition at one, and pretty much the same at our other two big schools, they just give in X dollars versus “full tuition”. Still waiting on Oberlin, Kenyon and Denison.

2 Likes

@aupaircj, thank you for sharing. We looked at several of those schools last year with our middle child. It can be difficult for Ohio publics (Miami, OSU) to compete, merit-wise, with the private schools that tend to attract OOS kids with similar stats. I can share our experience. Last year, the Kenyon cost ended up being the highest. Merit was in the neighborhood of 10-12K, but that kiddo had a lower GPA (ACT was 34). Denison was more generous-I want to say merit was 27k, but I definitely know it was in the high 20’s. College of Wooster offered the standard 34k. The middle kid did not apply to Oberlin-they were concerned about the handling of a high-profile incident that had occurred the year before. They looked briefly at the AZ schools, but ultimately decided to stay closer to home.

@2suns02. Obviously you understand all of this but private schools may give more merit in total money but the private schools have higher tuition,

My OOS daughter with 35 ACT and 4.0UW got 36K OOS merit money from Miami which is basically OOS tuition at Miami. I expect that Wooster Denison and Oberlin have much higher tuition than 36k.

Also another thing to keep in mind Miami keeps the tuition room and board expenses the same for all four year your student attends. As such your scholarship remains the same. And you have cost certainty. My D18 who goes Clemson had a 15K scholarship that decreases relatively each year as tuition increases 3-5% every year. Just something else to think about.

3 Likes

Wooster is $27K a semester; $54K. So a $34K scholarship brings it to $20K.

Miami is $36.6K so with $21K it’s $15.6K tuition (OOS). Allegedly, they raise it too before school starts.

Not to mention one is a larger school and one is a small LAC.

1 Like

Miami does address tuition in July, but even a large increase of 5% would only be an additional $1,830 per year, keeping tuition less than Wooster. Also, Miami has a four year tuition guarantee, so the tuition you pay your freshman year does not increase.

Wooster’s acceptance letter states that you should expect a 3-5% increase every year. Using 4% as the increase each year, tuition will be $60k per year by the fourth year. Also, while Wooster is a good school, it is not better just because it is small. Because of its size, location, and quirkiness fit is extremely important at Wooster.

Has anyone gotten decisions since the first batch in December? OOS has not received decision yet.

We are OOS and have not heard.

1 Like