Might appear stupid but...

<p>Actually since I got into this forum, I am seeing some prominent term that I unfortunately cannot define. I heard about "first generation student", can someone please give me a view what is looks like?
I am an African from a very underrepresented country, not even Anglophone and I am applying to Us college (including Columbia, Cornell, Penn, Princeton as very selective..). Since my SAT I is very very Very low (1300<x<1500), all my schools HAVE become HYP at the end. :(</p>

<p>I am an Athlete, ranked 1/40 with a quite normal ECs.
I also took the SAT IIs last Saturday in
MATH II expecting above 720)
French( expecting 800)
and English lit (screwer score around 500)
Good recs, Essay interesting to read>>good hook, farming activity.
So please someone to explain me what is first Gen and also give suggestion about my case even if obviously, I know my chances are remote for most of the top schools.
Thank you...</p>

<p>I'm not sure if it has a bearing for internationals, but for most it means neither your mom or dad have a college degree. Some schools give you exra "props" becasue it takes more work to be first.Your SAT's look good ( for most schools you only need 2 but I'm not well versed in Ivys), but are the SAT I's out of 1600 or 2400?</p>

<p>actually they are out of 2400, thats why I said "very very very low".</p>

<p>So according to what you said, I am not a first gen because my father has degree. but what about my expectation if those SAT IIs are effective?</p>

<p>I must admit, that is pretty abominable. Especially since you are from a foreign country. I really dont know any tier 1 schools that you have a decent shot at.</p>

<p>i'm pretty sure i've seen you post before, were you the one asking for chances at Ivies from Togo or so?</p>

<p>i don't understand how you can logically expect to get into any Ivy League school. i mean, you really laid an egg with those SAT scores.</p>

<p>I don't know what to tell you about those schools and those SAT's, unless mabye the math is 800 and the others are 350 each. There are lots of other schools to choose from though. 1500 is actually the average in the US, just not at "top schools" or "CC".</p>

<p>What does this mean "all my schools HAVE become HYP at the end."?</p>

<p>I wish I could be more encouraging, but I know of many students (Asian immingrants, but US citizens) with 800M/350CR all of whom were unsuccessful in their applications to LACs/unis that were less selective than the Ivy schools listed in the orig post. Perhaps OP should focus on schools that are SAT optional; the list of top schools (like Bowdon or Smith, if OP is female) that no longer require the SAT is growing every day.</p>

<p>yes you are right. my situation is very critical at this time. I must enlarge my list of school.</p>