Minorities at UA? Please give input!

@jrcsmom That was a great helpful post thank you! Are all of your sons friends white? What does he think of UA?

Beaudreau: “By arguing some pretty trivial points about the Civil War (even if your facts are correct) I don’t think you are bolstering the message that Alabama welcomes minorities and embraces diversity. Like it or not, many people in the rest of the country do not know about Alabama’s racial progress. After all, George Wallace did not stand in the schoolhouse door at the University of Michigan (currently 4.1% African-American); it was the University of Alabama (currently 11.2% African-American).”

First of all, why would the facts I provided be seen as unwelcoming? Wouldn’t facts that undermine the demonization of the South make minorities more open to the South? Nothing that I posted justified slavery or any other abuse toward non Whites in the South. Someone brought up a quote from an Alabama parent who said that Colonel Reb was inappropriate. Well, I disagree with the parent and argue that people have such a negative view of the South partly because of the demonization of the South that was necessary to justify what was done to the South. I think it always bear repeating that the North almost completely destroyed our beloved university.

I want out of state students more than most. I love what is happening at UA. Yet I don’t want out of state students who are coming with closed minds and who are only willing to listen to anti Southern narratives.

Every society has had slavery, including White Northerners, Native Americans, and Africans, yet for some reason, the South is always the focus of scorn for that dreaded institution.

Also, 12.2 % of UA students are Black, a bit higher than what you cited.

Lucie the Lake: “Please, let’s NOT debate the U.S. Civil War here! That was ONE foreign professor’s experience while visiting UA. If you have an issue with him, shoot him an email. Or, better yet, hunt down the dad who made the actual comment!”

It was not my intention to debate the Civil War. I don’t see why you are so bothered by me providing facts that undermine the demonization of the South. You posted the quote. I didn’t attack you. I just shared my perspective. Has it ever crossed your mind that maybe the South continues to have such a bad rep partly because of the relatively unchallenged, and dominant, but false Good and Evil narrative of the war between the states, which was delivered with gusto by the victor? I would like people to be aware of facts that challenge that Black and White or Manichean narrative. Southerners have the right to share their narrative too, even as we increasingly embrace diversity.

@Atlanta68, to be clear, my intention wasn’t to single you out. My concern was a tangential discussion derailing the OP’s thread. I apologize if you felt attacked. Please start a new thread if you feel strongly about the larger issue.

@healthandmusic - FWIW all of my son’s roommates (10 in 4 years) have been white, my son has friends from several different racial/ethnic groups

What does he think of UA? Like anything else in life, there are things he likes and things he doesn’t. He loves the football and school spirit - sometimes I think he only wears Bama t-shirts now ;). There are some classes/instructors he likes and others he doesn’t. He likes the area and has talked about staying in that area after he graduates.

I think he has had some great opportunities in his time there from travelling to Ecuador twice with the Alabama Action Abroad program to completing both an internship and co-op in his major so he’ll graduate with more than a year of professional experience.

@healthandmusic It is worth pointing out that only two Indian-Americans have ever been elected as US governors and both are from the South: Bobby Jindal in Louisiana and Nikki Haley in South Carolina. That should tell you something.