Miscellaneous Life Ramblings

Well, here I am with a cup of coffee thinking about the million things I have to do before we leave for graduation next week while ChoatieLT sleeps a few yards away. He surprised us by getting a five-day pass home. He leaves on the red-eye tonight. His barracks room is packed up and he’s ready to out-process next week, nothing left to do before grad, so he was granted leave. It was the best Mother’s Day present ever. It’s hard to fathom that I’ve been here since the month after his M10 sharing the BS and college laughs and tears and highs and lows with all of you, eight years later all coming to an end. Our film kid will be a Cyber officer. How did we get here?

I am thankful for so much fun, support, and friendship on this board and truly grateful for everything our son got from Choate–increased independence, athleticism, self-awareness, confidence, ease in his skin, deep, lasting friendships and, of course, an incredible education that provided a solid foundation for his evolving view of the world and his ability to navigate in it. He was so well-prepared for everything that came next.

And even though I constantly post my displeasure with the military, I’m coming to terms with the Army. He’s gotten much of value from his time at the academy, too. The education he received there transcends his degree. He’s lived a regimented, inspected, drilled, sober, uniformed life 24 x 7 for four years, never able to rest, never able to juggle every academic, physical, and military obligation perfectly, never quite able to measure up to the models of leadership in bronze and stone on those plains and in those halls. He chose a very tough way to get through college. But he has gotten through it with even deeper friendships and a richer education for its broadness and emphasis on character, integrity, duty, honor, and country. He has consumed all of it with determination and humility and will walk that stage with honors next week. We are so proud of him and so looking forward to seeing him joyfully throw his cap in the air with the words “Class of 2019, Dismissed!”

Can’t love your post enough, @ChoatieMom!

We know and love the traveler but not the path…

@ChoatieMom hats off to Choatiekid but also hats off to you and ChoatieDad! You’ve obviously raised an amazing human being who will positively contribute to his society!

I only hope that I can do a fraction of what you have done with my own DS. Thank you for being such a great mentor to me on CC!

And being an Army brat, I can say the Army life isn’t so bad. I can’t wait to hear where his orders take him!

Enjoy this next week or so and savor it all. Also, be sure to note all comical and blackmail moments…lol! Seriously though, I can’t express my pride and admiration for one of my favorite CC peeps.

Salut!

He’ll be nine years at Ft. Gordon, GA. Cyber does’t move around, or so he’s been told. Semper Gumby.

Congratulations to ChoatieLT and parents! And thank you for providing the occasional glimpses into Army life; I find them fascinating.

BIG hugs and congrats to you and ChoatieLT - truly an amazing thing he has accomplished. Thanks to ALL of you - but esp ChoatieLT - for your service to our country.

Congratulations to ChoatieLT and to his family upon his graduation next week! Thanks, @ChoatieMom for sharing.

Congratulations @ChoatieMom and ChoatieLT! I love his story, thanks so much for sharing it and your wisdom here on CC.

Complete change of subject…not to take away from the current one, but the summer tour is about to begin for Buuznkid2! We will be in the mid-Atlantic area and even doing a brief stop (literally hours) in Manhattan. I’d love to catch up with any local CC parents over a cup of tea, if possible, while we are in the area. Also, looking for recommendations for food near Mercersberg, Stamford, CT, Malvern, PA and NMH. DD is very exited!!!

@buuzn03 Are you visiting any NJ school?

@buuzn03, let me know what your CT travel plans are.

@ChoatieMom, congratulations to you and your son. I have enjoyed following his path over the past couple of years and am awed by his accomplishment, and I always value your sage advice. Best wishes to ChoatieLT.

@ChoatieMom Congrats to your family and thanks so much for your dedication to everyone here.

@buuzn03 We went to an old-looking diner near NMH called “Notch.” My dad loved his burger. It was small but only maybe 10 minutes from the school. There really isn’t a lot in that area. If I remember there is a really nice restaurant in Mercersburg. The Mercersburg Inn, might be a hotel, too and a bar that serves food that is popular with people there. Not many choices there, either.

Oh, and if you are looking at those schools, you should give Peddie one more look.

If @buuzn03 and others are visiting NMH this summer, there is a beautiful place for lunch or dinner in Bernardston, MA called The Farm Table. It is across the road from Kringle Candle company - close to Hwy 91. Great drinks menu for the grown ups, too!

@carpoolingma no NJ schools this trip, but there are a few on the prospective list for future trips (which will actually be interviewing time ?)

There were a few schools we had hoped to visit but could not accommodate us, so we had to make alternate plans.

Congrats to @ChoatieMom (and ChoatieDad) and the former Choatekid, Choatecadet, and now ChoateLT! What an amazing journey!

@buuzn03 For a casual meal in Mercersburg, the just-off-campus pizza place, Romeo’s, is a good choice. Foot of the Mountain makes a great country breakfast and was fine for the one non-breakfast meal we ate there. We never made it to the Mercersburg Inn, but the reality is that if I’m going to spend that much for dinner, I’m going to do it in Philadelphia. :smile: If you want a treat in Mercersburg or a place to take a break, check out the Mercersburg Academy faculty-owned One North Café and Bake Shop. Comfy space with reading material, games, and yummy treats.

If looking at Cate, there are gobs of casual restaurants in Carpinteria catering to the beach crowd. Hard to go wrong. We are partial to an old school Mexican restaurant called Delgados – north of the downtown. Not a beach restaurant, and they have a bar. It is the type of not-fancy place the locals go. For an adult farm-to-table type of experience, Zookers downtown is good. The Lucky Llama is the preferred local coffee house, very granola-y. They have acai bowls. Cate students end up there quite a lot.

We went to Delgado’s last year when we visited Cate!!! It was awesome!

Changing the subject to the next 10-14 days, any suggestions or advice about the end of school year? What should we prepare for? What should we prepare for?

@Golfgr8 --Should I be embarrassed to say that we’ve never flown back for the end of the year pack-up? We use the storage company that the school recommends. DD packs it up herself and hauls her tired self onto the school van en route to JFK.

Most schools have some sort of prize day, and then there are all the end-of-the-year festivities for the graduating class. Some under form parents come in for these events and/or pack-up.

But now that I’ve typed this, I’ve realized that I haven’t received an email from that illustrious storage company. Thanks for posting and reminding me to sort all of that out! :wink: