Missed the NMSF Cut-off

<p>

</p>

<p>My son took Moral Forum last year and found it to be one of the most intellectually challenging experiences he’s had. Can’t say enough good things about it.</p>

<p>The debate format rewards those who make their points effectively, and penalizes those who try to make their points by critiquing the opposition. It was both humbling and uplifting for my son, and, in the end, financially rewarding. Everyone who made it to the semi-final round received a cash award, and the four students who made it to the finals each received $2,000. My son and his fellow-freshman teammate were fortunate enough to make the finals, where they were served a big dose of humble pie by two juniors.</p>

<p>They were better for the defeat (i.e. peer education) and fortunate to have been graced by the teaching of Stephen Black, one of UA’s shining beacons.</p>

<p>Thanks Malanai, I knew you would come to the rescue. What an enlightening post.</p>

<p>So Idaho cutoff last year was 208… I had 210… but this year it’s 211… Please… I need words of hope cuz I’m feeling REALLY depressed right now…</p>

<p>graceofjesus1: If you missed the cutoff, you receive full tuition with a 1400+ (CR and M) on the SAT or a 32+ on the ACT. There are also other scholarships out there that you may qualify for. So do not despair.</p>

<p>Grace…what are your stats?</p>

<p>What is your major?</p>

<p>{{{ hugs…I know how frustrating it is to miss by one point…younger son did. }}}</p>

<p>*Male, Asian (darn it)
IDAHO, WOOT
4.0 unweighted GPA, 4.6 weighted
2150 SAT 1 (800 Math, 690 Reading, 660 Writing) (retaking it - hoping for above 2250)
720 Us Hist, 780 Bio, 800 Math II
mostly 4s and some 5s for my ap tests (total of 10))
Killer essay writer (lets just say)
Good recommendation
*</p>

<p>Congrats on making first chair for Youth Symphony for violin!</p>

<p>You do get free tuition from Bama. :)</p>

<p>Since you’re from Idaho, your chances for your top schools may be a little better than you think, but you need to raise your CR and W for your dream list.</p>

<p>What is your major? Did I miss that? If its engineering or Comp Sci then you get an additional 2500 per year on top of the free tuition.</p>

<p>Apply to Bama as your safety and apply to Computer Based Honors program…that can sometimes lead to more scholarship money.</p>

<p>sniff… How much is the presidential scholarship worth? My family cannot afford anything and the most they can pay me is 15k… (so no privates unless HYP… which is unlikely). </p>

<p>My Major: biomedical engineering</p>

<p>And thanks you guys… I see a sign of hope… :slight_smile: Imma stop crying now. :)</p>

<p>The Presidential Scholarship is worth, with your stats, full tuition for four years.</p>

<p>your family can afford 15K total or 15k per year?</p>

<p>alabama doesn’t actually have biomedical engineering.</p>

<p>Chemical Engineering is probably close enough. Possibly Mechanical depending on what his goals are.</p>

<p>You’ll get the Presidential Scholarship - OOS Tuition for 8 semesters
Engineering Scholarship - $2500/yr for 4 years</p>

<p>Those scholarships are automatic with your stats.</p>

<p>If you apply to CBHP and/or UFE and are accepted you <em>may</em> be eligible for additional scholarship money.</p>

<p>Wow, Grace, I think you should go for it for sure! With the Presidential and Engineering scholarships, you’re getting almost what you would have gotten as an NMF. You can even do Honors housing (which is awesome) without coming anywhere close to the $15K your parents are willing to spend.</p>

<p>If your parents can provide $15k total…that’s about $3500 per year.</p>

<p>If you get the Presidential, you’ll get free tuition.</p>

<p>With an engineering degree, you’ll get an additional 2500 per year.</p>

<p>You can borrow 5500 as a frosh thru fed student loans.</p>

<p>The $11,500 would cover room, board, etc…and if you need more…then …</p>

<p>Bama doesn’t have Bio-med engineering, but that undergrad major isn’t really necessary for grad school or med school. A good alternative is the Bio & Chemical Engineering degree or MechE or EE with more bio choices. Bama does offer some bio-med classes, just not the major. </p>

<p>If I were you, I’d get a summer job to pay for school books, course fees, and some other costs…like Dining Dollars. I’d also have a small part-time job during the school year to have some “pocket money” for the school year.</p>

<p>What’s an engineering scholarship? Also my parents can pay me 15k per year. The reason why that number is so iffy for other private colleges is because my family’s EFC is 25k and they can’t afford that.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone! I was really feeling bad but then my prayers were heard as the Bama forum people informed me such wonderful stuff about Bama!</p>

<p>If your parents can pay $15k per year, then the Presidential scholarship of full tuition will make Bama affordable. Your remaining costs will be less than $15.</p>

<p>The engineering scholarship is a 2500 per year scholarship for those with stats like yours…it’s assured.</p>

<p>[Scholarships</a> - Undergraduate Students - The College of Engineering - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://eng.ua.edu/undergraduate/scholarships/]Scholarships”>Scholarships – College of Engineering | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>So with both scholarships, your cost would be $10k or less for tuition, room, board, books, fees…not counting personal expenses.</p>

<p>What is your intended career?</p>

<p>I want to become a doctor (but I’m pursuing everything with an open mind). Getting into UA med school would be a dream come true for me… One of the best med schools… sigh.</p>

<p>Ok…then…as a pre-med student, you can major in anything you want. :)</p>

<p>My son is a ChemE major who is pre-med. He also has 3 minors…chemistry, biology, and mathematics. </p>

<p>The official name for the major is Chemical and Biological Engineering, but we have a tendency to say ChemE for short.</p>

<p>[Department</a> of Chemical and Biological Engineering - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://che.eng.ua.edu/]Department”>http://che.eng.ua.edu/)</p>