More Honors Suites Questions

<p>I think Ridgecrest South is desired because of the 900 friends that live there! It’s the dorm that everyone sees on the tour.</p>

<p>linnylu–I will ask DS to clean his room and then take some pics, lol!!</p>

<p>Room selection is exciting and can be confusing. I’ll be happy to share what we know. As a parent, I remember how daunting the task of selecting a dorm and roommate was for our daughter. She has been very happy with her choice of Ridgecrest South. The north tower is honors and the south tower is not (currently anyway) but there are honors students who do live in the south tower also. The bedroom has a bed that adjusts in height, a large dresser with three drawers, a small desk attached to the dresser, a chair, and a cabinet which allows a student to attach a lock to keep a laptop and valuables safer. There is also a closet with two doors. Th bathroom has four wire shelves for storage and two towel rods. The vanity has cabinets beneath the sink and three drawers on each side to be shared. There is also a small medicine cabinet. The living room has a small table and chairs, an end table, and an entertainment center with shelves below. If you haven’t already done so, you may want to check out the pictures on the housing website. There are pictures of dorms from the other communities also. I’ve been told the new dorm will not be honors but will be along the same lines as Ridgecrest. Ridgecrest South also has the parking decks below. As far as being “crazier” than the others, I would say that depends on whom you ask and who is living there. Occasionally someone does pull the fire alarm, but it isn’t a concern that would make her want to move. She has friends in Riverside and Lakeside also. I don’t think they offer tours to these communities normally. Best of luck with room selection. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>team howard,</p>

<p>The parking deck is below Ridgecrest South and there are three different levels which also include a non-covered portion of the deck. There are three different entrances because the levels are not connected. As for availability, I have seen the “full sign” only a couple of times in the past two years. Parking permits are assigned based on the community in which the student lives and spaces are not assigned. My daughter has never had a problem finding a space in the Ridgecrest community. I actually haven’t heard of any of her friends at Lakeside or Riverside having a problem either. The parking for the Ridgecrest community also includes the lot in front of the community. Anyone with “yellow” may park in any “yellow” designated area. Parking is only a problem if you are expecting to drive around campus and park rather than walk. There is an excellent bus system on campus. It runs regularly and can be tracked via smart phone or within the building on smart boards. I also recommend rain boots, a light raincoat, and a sturdy backpack, and gloves and ear bands for winter. I believe the new dorm may also have a parking deck. I don’t think it will be honors if that matters. Congrats on choosing a great school!</p>

<p>Back with another honors dorm question- D is still interested in Riverside West, does the room come with blinds and then curtains are optional and provided by the student? Does the room come with carpet and then a rug is optional and provided by the student?<br>
Another thread mentioned that students might not be allowed to use the 3M sticky stuff for hanging hooks and posters anymore. Does anyone have any more information on this? D wants to start looking for art posters to hang in her college room.<br>
Also, another thread mentioned about needing a dehumidifier and a fan in the dorm room.
Does your student have either/both of these items?</p>

<p>Linnylu,</p>

<p>Sorry if I confused you. Blinds and carpet are in the rooms. Curtains and a rug are OPTIONAL. </p>

<p>I’m not sure if Riverside West allows command strips or not, but I know Ridgecrest doesn’t. There are other adhesives for posters that will not damage the drywall or leave residue. Again, just a suggestion…read the package carefully, or call housing to see if command strips are allowed at Riverside. I tossed the paper with the communities listed that don’t allow them.</p>

<p>As for the dehumidifier, I mentioned that we bought one because our daughter’s room in north tower of Ridgecrest South and several of her friends rooms in the south tower also had humidity problems. Comforters, bean bags, etc., were feeling damp. I cannot say whether this is isolated or what. We first tried damp rid. It didn’t work. A dehumidifier was pulling 3 gallons of water out of the air in a day. There have been no issues since. After we bought it, her friends found out that the UA will gladly put one in if your room needs it so I wouldn’t worry about that. They placed one is her friends’ rooms very promptly when asked. </p>

<p>The reason I listed a fan is if your daughter wants to dry her clothes with it. Due to the humidity in Ttown, you may find it difficult for them to air dry without it and the dryers run very hot so it works better for her not to dry things she doesn’t want to shrink. Rest assured there is AC in Riverside and Ridgecrest and all of the newer dorms. I’m not familiar with others. I’m sorry if my post misled anyone. We are not experts by any means…just parents. I was trying to respond to a question about what we found helpful to bring for OOS student but none of these items is essential since the dorms are nice. Hope this provides clarification. Good luck!</p>

<p>oopsie…if command strips are not allowed! we used them last year with no damage to walls, and we put stuff up with them this year, as well. i did ask about nails and was told each person is allowed some small number (2 or 4) nails. um … ok. : /</p>

<p>i think the command strips work fine if you follow the directions.</p>

<p>My son has used command strip products all four years in Riverside and Ridgecrest without any problems.
My senior at Bama uses a desk top fan. He always had a ceiling fan on over his bed growing up, so the hum of the desk fan is more for noise cancelation while he sleeps.
He has never had problems with high humidity in the dorms.</p>

<p>On year two in Riverside West with command strips, no problem. Great to have hook for towel by sink since there is no towel rack there. </p>

<p>I have found that the clear square strips, found with command strip stuff, works great for posters and easy clean removal.</p>

<p>Bamagirls, your list of things to bring is great. I really appreciate seeing the packing lists. I am a planner and your list is very helpful, so no need to to worry that you confused me. Thanks for clarifying that there are blinds. I am going to look for curtains and a rug just to make the room look nice and I loved that you even gave dimensions for the rug. I’m just stressing now because I’ll have 2 moving in to 2 different colleges next August and my H will be out of town on business at least for the UA move-in.</p>

<p>Linnylu,</p>

<p>Don’t worry. You’ll do just fine!</p>

<p>If you forget something, know that Target in Tuscaloosa always stocks the store VERY well for items your student may need. It is really super!</p>