Music Ed search

Hello! My D25 has pretty much figured out she wants to go for music Ed. She’s truly a teacher through and through and has wanted to be an elementary school teacher since preschool. Her hs band director and the assistant director both think she’s a great candidate to be an instrumental music teacher instead. I asked if they had any suggestions for schools and their focus is more on colleges with a marching band program. My D loves mb but has no intention of trying to be a hs teacher. My question is, how important is a mb program for future job prospects vs a music Ed program without one?

Stats:
NJ resident, EFC $30kish with budget up to $35k but would rather pay less and EFC could increase when I work more after she graduates.
GPA 3.2 W probably 3.0 uw will have a couple AP/DE by graduation
Will likely study enough to get the praxis exemption of Math 570 and Reading/writing 610 this is a reasonable goal for her. I hope she’ll score closer to 1300.

She’s very much a B student in her academic classes and I want her to go to a school that is supportive and has a good music program. These are the schools I’m looking into so far: Rowan, Rutgers Mason Gross, West Chester, Montclair, Salisbury, Millersville, Elizabethtown, Kutztown, Susquehanna and maybe a SUNY and Syracuse. She didn’t like TCNJ and likes Rowan because she’s there a lot for ensembles etc. Her band teacher went to UDel and highly recommends it but I don’t think it’d come within budget. Right now she doesn’t want to go too far but that could change in the next couple years.

U hartford, if they give her merit and fin aid. Ithaca college. Both very strong in music ed.

3 Likes

Thank you! I forgot to add Ithaca above. Do you know much about Hartford?

Yeah. Good music school, good music ed, warm atmosphere, good local school districts for internships.

3 Likes

I was also going to say Hartt and Ithaca. Or a state u/college in the state where she might want to teach.

1 Like

Cross-posting this here, as more expert eyes might get their eyes on it to voice their thoughts.

ETA: Two other schools you might want to consider are:

Lebanon Valley (PA ): About 1700 undergrads
College of St. Rose (NY): About 1800 undergrads

Both of them seem to have good numbers of music ed and music majors.

2 Likes

So my understanding about music ed is that the state is important because you get certification in the state that you will work. Does she feel strongly about where she wants to work? If you look it up New Jersey has reciprocity for teaching certificates with Connecticut, Maryland and Virginia but not New York or Pennsylvania (odd, right?)

1 Like

Oh wow you’d think there’d be reciprocity between PA and NJ! 3 of the 4 music Ed teachers I know went to school in PA and work in NJ. It must not be terribly difficult but certainly a pain. Thank you for sharing this, definitely something I’ll research more.

2 Likes

Thank you for cross posting! I added most of these
to the list. I think Rider only has voice if I was reading the website correctly. Kutztown seems like a good program and I plan to visit this summer and thank you for whittling down the SUNYs. You’re always so thorough and helpful!

2 Likes

How do you all feel about a school not having a marching band? Does it really matter during the college years?

The world needs great music teachers! Totally agree that it is important to look at credential requirements in the state or states where she is likely to want to live and teach. My husband is a musician and retired teacher and we have known several music teachers relocating from other states (one even with a masters in Music Ed) who needed almost a year of additional coursework here before being approved for a CA credential.
Most of the music teachers we know here go to our state schools (UC or CSU System). Many of these programs do not have football/marching band. At least in CA, it is not important to have marching band experience to teach, even at the high school level. Certainly not for elementary schools. The east coast may be different…
Good luck on your/her journey.

2 Likes

The instrumental music Ed students are usually coming out of marching band or orchestra, but I don’t think it’s going to matter for someone who is sure they want to teach at the elementary level. All the schools are going to have a concert band or wind ensemble and maybe a pep band as well.
Yes , check the credential requirements for the states in which she would consider teaching since it can vary so much. Many states have reciprocity though.

@anotheroboemom California seems to require something (And often a lot) additional for every kind of professional license. :person_shrugging:

I agree!

1 Like

What instrument does she play? Lots of schools dont have marching bands even in high schools and there are orchestra conductors who are not string players.

No worries! I am not a music expert, so in case people had critiques (positive or negative) about any of the schools, it might be helpful to you and instructive to me. I love that there ARE so many experts here, and I appreciate anything I can glean from them!

Her main instrument is clarinet but mostly auditions on bass clarinet. She plays tenor sax in jazz band and joined a percussion club but can’t remember which bell sounding instrument she chose. I’m not a musician lol

1 Like

Teacher here! How does she feel about doing music vs elementary ed? I only ask this as we are facing some serious budget cuts in our town/state and the Arts/Music is always first to be cut…As a music mom it is so frustrating and saddens/angers me but it seems to be a harsh truth. Having said that if music is her passion (it is my son’s!) go for it! I strongly suggest looking at good teacher prep programs at your state colleges.You can also find state colleges with crazy strong music programs (ie Univ of North Texas). I am in CT and our state programs are great. We have one in particular that is known for music and education (Western CT State University). Good for you for starting now…we just wrapped up our college audition season!

2 Likes

Just want to make sure you know that U. of Hartford’s school of music is Hartt- which you probably know. Some people are suggesting U. of Hartford and some are suggesting Hartt and they are the same school :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We had seriously considered for her to go for early childhood Ed. It’s been her main choice forever. I even emailed an advisor at Rowan about the dual major requirements for early ed with a music performance focus instead of either psychology or American studies like they offer. Then my D got our friends 3 young kids set up in her room on various instruments, used glass paint to color code the keys to notes she wrote on her window and conducted an original piece to play for the parents. That pretty much solidified my opinion on her need for music and her band director really thinks she should as well. My biggest fear is the job insecurity. I’m a respiratory therapist and in my program was a Juilliard grad about 20 years out who got tired of stringing together gigs and supplementing with odd jobs. Thank you for being a teacher and your suggestions! I’ve been following along with this years group and am so impressed by all your dedication.

Having said ALL I said, I would NEVER encourage my son to NOT follow his dream so I get it! Just wanted to make sure she didn’t feel pressured by any instructors to go the Music Ed route! Good luck this upcoming year! It was a very wild but fun ride that I wouldn’t trade out for anything…Spent alot of 1:1 time with an amazing kid and I enjoyed every second of it. Hope you do too!