Music Kid: where should I REA?

I play a highly sought after instrument for colleges (think harp, oboe, tuba) but there are usually only usually 1-2 spots in an orchestra for my instrument. I play it a very high level (probably top 2-5% for my age) and go to a very prestigious Pre-College for music and do various other programs relating to music. My academics are passable but nothing too impressive (top 5-10% of a competitive public HS) and I also have other interests like being captain of a varsity sport. Yale has always been my dream school as they have both good academics and a good music scene. From what I heard, Ivies and Stanford love to admit music people, and those are definitely the schools I’m shooting for. I’ve also considered schools like Northwestern that have both a good music school and academics. I was going to REA to Yale until I found out that they admitted 7 kids for my instrument, from what I heard, 5 will be attending. Should I still REA to Yale even though they technically filled their “quota” with my instrument?

I don’t think anyone here can offer advice based on the limited information you’ve provided.

Here are a few questions(to start):

What majors are you considering?

Is Yale affordable? Have you run the NPC?

What are you academic credentials? Sure the music can be a hook, but you need to stack up academically also.

Why Yale specifically?

Why Yale? And is your goal to be a performance major?

I am assuming you have a private teacher at your pre-college conservatory program. That would be a good place to start to get some insight as to your level in comparison to others potentially auditioning at the programs you are interested in.

2 Likes

I’m pretty much undecided right now but I think I want to go into stem with a music minor, I’ve already provided a little bit about my academic profile. I understand that Yale isn’t the strongest school for STEM as it is stronger in the humanities but it’s still academically rigorous and with a good environment (in terms of the people, not the location). I guess my question is more about admission chances than fit. I don’t want to waste my precious early decision on a school that is already full of my instrument and won’t consider me.

Are you interested in a double degree at Yale or elsewhere? Many Yale students study their instrument with a grad student. You might be an exception. But the School of Music, as you know, is focused on grad students, I would meet with them and see who your teacher might be.

You can submit a music supplement (if the school accepts them) with recording/video, music resume and letter(s) of recommendation related to music. Doing conservatory prep (and a prestigious one at that) can be helpful with admissions as well.

Northwestern has an undergrad conservatory. If you are not a BM student at Bienen, then you might want to check if the BA/BS students have decent training and performance opportunities since sometimes the best ones go to the BM students.

You can consider a BM, a BA in music, a BA in something else with extracurricular music and electives, a double major, a major/minor, or a double degree (BA/BM or BAMM). Check the Double Degree Dilemma essay in the Read Me thread on the music major forum for more info.

If you do STEM, a music minor might be possible but don’t be misled by the presence of the Yale SOM. You can probably find similar music opportunities at many schools that offer lessons and extracurricular performance, or that are in areas where private teachers are accessible.

Yale is a great school so your interest is understandable. Just make sure of the music opportunities that you believe you will have, and also check out the STEM majors- as well as cost of course.

1 Like

Thank you! I will check out the music double degree dilemma essay now. I’m going to take lessons with the Yale professor in their graduate school of music and music professors at other schools (non-conservatories) as well to get a sense of the school more. I know that I will be happy no matter where I end up because I’m only applying to schools that I like (still with a good balance of safeties and targets too of course). But do you think it’s worth throwing my REA at Yale if they already have so many of my instruments? Or should I try somewhere else like Princeton (I have also done research there)? I am a bit hesitant about eding to the ivies because I don’t want to be binded to a school, but I know that eding gives me the best chance at such insanely competitive schools…

I think the benefit of intensive music commitment in admissions, goes beyond your ability to contribute on campus. It also shows discipline and hard work. I have no idea what effect the number of oboists (or whatever instrument) has on admissions but it certainly isn’t the same at Yale as at a conservatory or if you were applying to a studio for a BM at school of music- in those cases the studio can be full, and admissions suffers. You would be applying to a non-audition BA or BS program at Yale.

Take a look at all the schools you might be interested in. Princeton has an undergrad performance certificate and study abroad at the Royal College of Music in London. They seem to have added a double degree with the Royal College as well.

1 Like

If you have been in NYO/NYO2/NYO JAZZ, or Youngarts, you will get more first hand information from their group chats. Not all of them go to Yale, Stanford, or northwestern but there are quite a few every year. If you have participated in all-state orchestra or it’s equivalent, my guess is there are some alumni attending or having applied to these schools.

I have attended NYO! What group chat are you referring to?

Thank you! Princeton is one that I’ve been looking into as well

2 Likes

If you attend precollege and have been in NYO if your academics match your musical talent you should choose the school you prefer.

1 Like

They have several discord channels.

1 Like

Consider Harvard. Their orchestra and its conductor are fantastic. Harvard seems to give a preference to performing arts students. Plenty of options for lessons with NEC dual degree, or just studying with BSO or BPS performers, or faculty at NEC and BU.

1 Like

What does this mean. What is your GPA? Have you taken the SAT or ACT? If so…scores are?

1 Like

My GPA is 4.0 UW, I thought providing the percentile would be more helpful since every school has a different GPA system and oftentimes context is more important. I’ve taken the SAT 3 times and my highest is 1550 (non-superscore), I’m considering taking it once more, but probably not.

Harvard would be a dream come true. I have visited multiple times and fell in love with it. But every person who has gotten in from my school has heavy legacy or is a donor, so I kind of gave up hope on that end because I know my chances will be extremely slim (as I only have a parent who went to Harvard grad school)

1 Like

Apply to Harvard, Yale, and/or Princeton with a supplement with recording, music resume and one or two letters of recommendation related to music. The latter can often help quite a bit if you meet academic benchmarks. Also apply to other schools, including “little Ivies” Colleges that Change Lives (google these) and any other schools where you can feel more assured of acceptance,

From what you have posted, you have a reasonable chance at the top schools you have mentioned but noone has certainty. Apply early if there is one that really stands out for you.

I think I must have missed your college budget. what can your family afford to pay for you to attend college? Do you qualify for need based aid and are you hoping to get some.

Or…is your family full pay at about $80,000 a year.

DS23 just went through a similar application process though he didn’t have your grades (nor target the T-20 schools you are). He’s a tuba player (high score all-state for senior year, many other accolades).

Since he was “only” looking to minor in music into college it really wasn’t much of a hook. If he was looking to be a music major the list of schools applied to would have been a bit different in any case but my observation is that the kids getting into the higher tier schools are going into the VPA programs.