Musicians and Parents - Introduce yourself!

<p>The teacher is on the music faculty of two colleges (one, with well known music performance major) and accompanies internationally. She has never sent a student to Tanglewood which is why I discounted that suggestion. Her own kids attended Interlochen. S has stars in his eyes now and is having trouble thinking rationally.</p>

<p>If your son can sight read all the Chopin Ballades and Etudes in one sitting he is a prodigy of enormous proportions. My son is a superb sight reader and would be unable to accomplish such a feat in one sitting. The mere thought is mind boggling.</p>

<p>That said, classical technique is essential. I would suggest that your son begin very serious work in technique and interpretation, because there is lots more to playing difficult pieces, as I am sure you are aware, than simply playing notes.</p>

<p>I hope you will post more about what your son is doing!</p>

<p>catbird
If your S is a sophomore at age 13, it sounds as if he's precocious in more ways than just musically. Depending on your goals beyond just the music for a summer camp experience, you might take a look at Luzerne Music Center in Lake Luzerne NY -- it fits your geographical desires, they have both junior and senior sessions (your son might fit either), it is led by two excellent musicians -- Toby Blumenthal, piano, and Bert Phillips, cello, and the music program is quite good, with lots of emhasis on piano in addition to orchestral instruments. Plus elements of the quintessential rustic summer camp experience. My D did three years there from ages 12-14, in the junior session.</p>

<p>Some helpful feedback here. Thanks for the suggestions of Kinhaven and Luzerne.</p>

<p>o-mom: Yes he is accelerated (taking 4 APs incl. English and Calc). Next fall he'll be in dual enrolled college English and math. Socially he's comfortable around ages 15--18.</p>

<p>allmusic: Can you advise on a summer piano program? Did you post about this in the past re. your S--perhaps you have links to old threads (I tried CC and Google searches w/o results). Can you take a stab as to if/when Interlochen might be suitable? Also, I wasn't 100% sure if you were or were not being facetious. S is not a prodigy except maybe at Youtube. If it's possible to learn virtuoso piano playing by watching Youtube, he's done it. He has some unusual ability in music but we don't know where it will go. Thx, catbird</p>

<p>Just a bump to highlight this thread. Seems to be a few new "faces" and it helps if the newbies can post a bit of background info. It makes it a bit easier to keep track of who's who and often makes feedback alot easier.</p>

<p>Just a brief note to say hello and mention how glad I am that I discovered this forum. After posting just a few messages regarding the search and audition process for my D's pursuit for a music education program several members have provided great advice, links and other help which is greatly appreciated. A great team of people! Have a wonderful holiday season.
about me - IT guy with great relative pitch, built synthesizers many moons ago and looking forward to May 2008.
JADIO - Cleveland Ohio</p>

<p>Thanks to all for being out there---so good to know that there are other anxious parents who are so willing to share information. Your posts and links are getting me through this process. My D isn't half as affected.(Perhaps she has already developed the thick skin she is going to need once she becomes a professional musician.) As for me I am going to have to bow out as her agent my nerves are shot waiting for audition confirmations.
My D wants to study voice performance. She is a mezzo. I played the piano and flute although I always wanted to play the harp. Perhaps once D is at school I will find the time.
Wishing everyone a Merry Xmas and a very healthy happy New Year and yes like JADIO I too am looking foward to May 2008.
Cheers!</p>

<p>Thanks to everyone out there for being so nice and understanding. Like Mariasmom and Just A Dad, I am looking forward to having this audition thing behind me. I am also looking forward to May, 2008 graduation! My D is a soprano and she is trying to get into voice performance (Bachelor of Music). Never in my wildest dreams did I think this would be so difficult. My nails are bitten off and everyday I dread the phone call from D after she heads to the mailbox. Just one rejection so far but that was enough.</p>

<p>We live in Hilliard, OH which is a suburb of Columbus. This D is my oldest and therefore the first one applying to college. Thank goodness her brother will be persuing something different! Once is enough for this experience!</p>

<p>Again, thanks to everyone for your help and advice! Happy Holidays!</p>

<p>Our D is a senior in the midst of applying to 4 conservatories and 2 colleges, wants to major in classical composition. Plays classical guitar, as well as clarinet. Found this site by accident, very informative!</p>

<p>Hello, I am currently a high school freshman with an interest in a competitive conservatory for college. However, I am not quite sure on where I lie in the spectrum of things. I am studing composition with a teacher and self-teaching myself theory through some college level books.</p>

<p>hello! i'm new too, international - i play the piano and chinese violin - and i'm halfway through my apps. i intend to do a double major in a science and music, but i'm afraid i'll be at a disadvantage if i go to places like columbia but don't do the columbia/juilliard programme. so... no conservatories for me.</p>

<p>also it's really difficult to justify my studying in the US if i don't get into a really great school (and trust me so many internationals don't even recognise anything past HYPS so i don't even have to think about LACs; even though my parents will probably pay and i think the education might be good it's just not worth the money, studying local will be cheaper) that pretty much narrows the list down ): ): </p>

<p>oh well so hopefully i'll get in somewhere! :D and happy new year!</p>

<p>My s is a High School junior thinking about majoring in music (trumpet) performance and Biology. He is looking at schools that have a strong accademic and music programs. I am so grateful to the very generous parents and students who have shared very valuable information in this site. We are now trying to figure out the summer music festival options and deadlines.</p>

<p>Borntoplay- While geared towards the string player, two helpful resources for festival/summer program are the online directories from Strings Strings</a> Magazine: Summer Study Guide and Strad The</a> Strad. While you may miss some program specific brass opportunities, these directories will have the basic info and websites for the major programs like Aspen, MAW, Roundtop, etc as well as smaller programs (many equally intensive but without the name recognition).</p>

<p>Personally, I've found the actual paper supplement a better resource than the online directories, but they'll do in a pinch.</p>

<p>Thanks. I'll look into it. Please excuse my earlier typos.</p>

<p>My daughter is a HS junior violinist who plans to go the conservatory route. I have found a number of postings on this site to be very helpful! It does seem to be an overwhelming process, so I think my role is to help her be organized and keep track of what she needs to do and when it needs to be done. She is currently looking at various summer programs and recording auditions for them.</p>

<p>I've been a lurker here for about 2 years. My dd is a senior who wants to major in oboe performance. She applied to 8 colleges/conservatories. I agree with bluepearl. This process is very overwhelming. I did have to help keep my dd organized through it. Her first audition is on Monday. Its going to be a busy couple of months. Nancy</p>

<p>I have a D who will be auditioning this winter at several schools for Voice Performance. So far, she has auditioned at CCM, and will be auditioning at Carnegie Mellon, Baldwin-Wallace, hopefully Oberlin, IUP, and a few safety nets. I have a son at Point Park in Pittsburgh ( acting major) and I have a daughter who just graduated, also an acting major. She is now doing an internship at a theater in Cincinnati, and did summer stock in Cape Cod which was a great experience.</p>

<p>I'm the Dad (no musical background beyond HS and church choir - DW plays the piano). Son is looking for schools with strong academics and strong vocal performance departments, really wants to pursue a dual degree program. He has been singing with good school teachers/choir directors since third grade, but has only been taking private lessons for about 3 years. Went to Tanglewood last year and loved it! BTW, he was the first person from his voice teacher's studio to apply to Tanglewood. He applied to Tanglewood and Interlochen and was accepted at both - maybe it was a "relatively" inexpensive way to determine if he has what it takes to make it on a national level.</p>

<p>I'm a father of a 1st year community-college student who wants to transfer to pursue a vocal performance major. I sing and I embarrass my shower: she sings and shakes the entire neighborhood - and weighs in at around 98 pounds. I'm new to the subject and to this discussion, and I'm trying to (gently) steer my daughter through this process.</p>

<p>My name says it, my son the guitarist but music-as-a-career hopeful. I just posted for the first time in Suggestions of Colleges with Music Majors. This forum is terrific.</p>