Musicians and Parents - Introduce yourself!

<p>Where is everyone. Getting anxious sending in applications. Requesting auditions. Practicing practicing. As a parent of d seeking piano performance I was hoping to hear more from others going through the same thing. Is anyone out there?</p>

<p>Welcome pianolovers - sometimes itā€™s best to start a new thread to get the attention of folks. My son knows someone who is at Duquesne in percussion and loves it. Several posters have experience with BU, Temple and Hartt.</p>

<p>Hi everyone! My daughter is a 17-year-old violinist beginning the college application process with the intent of pursuing a performance degree in violin. Itā€™s an incredibly daunting process, even with the help of her teacher and school guidance counselor. The hardest thing so far is narrowing the list down to a reasonable length. The list so far includes Eastman, Oberlin, Indiana, Peabody, Mannes, Boston University, Queens College, UT Austin, Northwestern, USC (her insistence), Vanderbilt, and Florida State. Yup ā€“ thatā€™s a long list. Some have to drop, but itā€™s not clear at this point which ones. At least she has her audition program up and running.</p>

<p>Welcome StringPop! Enjoy the ride! Oberlin awards merit scholarships through its Conservatory Deanā€™s Scholar program. I have heard Vandy (Blair) is strong with merit aid. Thatā€™s a nice list.</p>

<p>Hello everyone, I am a junior in high school interested in pursuing a performance degree in piano as well as a degree in Philosophy and Religious Studies. I am trying to find info on auditioning, strong liberal arts colleges, etcā€¦ Thanks. ~Prestofaust</p>

<p>Welcome Prestofaust. The best source for audition requirements are the schoolā€™s websites. That information combined with the personal experiences of those on this Forum who have gone through piano audition process should be of help. As far as LACā€™s where you can double degree, as opposed to double major, with a 5 year program Bard, Oberlin and Lawrence are some of the possibilities.</p>

<p>Stringpop we toured Boston and found everyone very friendly. Despite size the college of fine arts was easy to find. We liked the more contained campus of temple. D liked Hartt but concerned about being in the burbs. She would like something more urban but eh program looks good. Does anyone know likelihood of financial or scholarship help at these schools. We are only waiting on Hartt for audition date confirmation. We are hoping for early decision option. Praying for good weather this winter</p>

<p>Pianolovers: Hartt does give very nice scholarships but they are dependent on the audition and just note that they do not give financial aid over and above the scholarship other than loans or pell grants. Also, your level of interest will influence the scholarship amount. By visiting and communicating with the piano studio teacher, you can let them know that you are very interested in Hartt. Good Luck.</p>

<p>If you do the December audition at Hartt, you should have notification of a decision by New Yearā€™s. Hartt does give generous merit scholarships, but does not offer academic scholarships on top of the performance one.</p>

<p>In terms of suburban-ness: Itā€™s a short bus ride to downtown Hartford or WestHartford center. Many students have cars and thereā€™s a shuttle bus from campus that many folks use regularly.</p>

<p>Hello everyone. My son is double majoring in Piano Performance and Composition at BU. He is a senior this year and looking to start his application process for graduate programs. For those of you just beginning this adventure, BU has been a great school. He has had many performance opportunities, many opportunities to have his pieces performed and has also had paid ā€˜gigsā€™ throughout his time there which gave him some spending money. This past summer he held a faculty position at BUTI. The CFA is small, feeling more like a conservatory, and the students all seem to know each other. The west campus dorms are close to the CFA and the walk is about 7 minutes at a comfortable pace. As a parent, I have been totally comfortable with the city of Boston and find the transportation to be both easy to figure out and safe. We couldnā€™t be happier with the opportunities he has had and feel he is well prepared for the next phase of his life. Good luck to all just beginning. The time goes by so quickly!</p>

<p>Tntweaver thanks for the description itā€™s nice to hear about the opportunities. We did enjoy visiting it did feel like you could get the smaller school feel there despite the size if the overall school. What did he like about the piano performance major?
Stradmom we knew about the merit only scholarships I wondered if we would do better for aid else where because of that. We just wish it did not all boil down to the ten
Min audition. D is trying now to get as much performance time now to help with nerves</p>

<p>piano - the merit scholarship at Hartt can be as much as full tuition (although, obviously, most donā€™t go that high!).</p>

<p>Harttā€™s scholarships are based on talent (during the audition) and their need for that particular instrument. They accept (and scholarship) aiming to have just the right mix of students to balance their ensembles. So, unfortunately, talent is not the only criteria for scholarships.</p>

<p>What do people know about scholarships at Boyer/Temple? Any advice to help with nerves at auditions or what to except at these schools and their audition process?
Boyer, Hartt, Boston U</p>

<p>Good luck to all the new HS seniors (and parents). Some advice to you: Try to keep your early application lists long for now, and keep careful track of dates for merit aid and scholarship consideration. Each school is looking to fill different holes in their instrumentalists and vocalists and you wonā€™t know that for a while. If financial aid is also important that keep your lists even longer.</p>

<p>In the end your talent and passion will find a good home for a college or conservatory. I wish you all the best!</p>

<p>pianolovers, it might be a good idea to move your question to another thread (or start a new thread), as this is the thread designed for intros.</p>

<p>Iā€™m a parent of a mezzo-soprano at a fine regional public university. Sheā€™s a sophomore and doing well!</p>

<p>Welcome to Music Major cromette. Enoy reading your stuff in other forums and congrats to your D.</p>

<p>Thanks, Bartokrules!</p>

<p>Pianolovers, what he most likes about his Performance major is probably his professor. He studies with Anthony DiBonaventura and has had a great experience.</p>