Musicians and Parents - Introduce yourself!

<p>Thanks tntweaver that’s good to know.</p>

<p>Hi everyone,</p>

<p>D is a high school senior mezzo-soprano looking at excellent LACs with conservatories or very strong music programs. Theatre and Peace Studies/Human Rights are her other main areas of interest.</p>

<p>Hi, My name is Stephanie. I’m a Soprano and I’m applying to these schools</p>

<p>Oberlin
CCM
Belmont U
DePaul
DePauw
Western Michigan
Dayton
Xavier (maybe)</p>

<p>I’m going to major in vocal performance. Is there anything I should really know about these schools? I know Oberlin and CCM are great, and I really hope I can go to one of them :)</p>

<p>Thank you!!</p>

<p>I’m brand new to CC Music Major. My D is an HS senior interested in BM in viola performance. Visits and applications so far to U Maryland College Park, U Wisconsin Madison. She wants to go to school in or close to a major city, east or midwest, but is also interested in major university setting. She has a long list of about 10 schools with December 1 due dates and needs to know more about the viola programs. Hopefully we can connect with recent “veterans” of the viola audition circuit!</p>

<p>Welcome, SopranosGotPower and Violabow! Now that you’ve introduced yourselves, may I suggest that you start a new threads here in the Music Major forum asking for input regarding your specific school/instrument interests? I’m sure help will soon be on the way!</p>

<p>Hello All, I haven’t posted in a while. My son is now a HS Junior, still intent on going to a good music school as a composition major. In case you don’t remember me from earlier posts, he has a low GPA (under 3.0) but it’s improving. I’m pretty certain he’ll not knock the SAT out of the ballpark either, so, no help there. He transferred to our public Performing Arts magnet and his music teachers there are impressed, so, at least I know I’m not delusional about his talent. :)</p>

<p>Need your help: looking for a summer music camp for him. I know he should have attended a Composition Camp last summer but his schedule did not permit. I’m starting early this year and will plan his summer around this, hopefully. Here is my question: should we stick to a music camp at a school he might have a chance of actually attending, even if it doesn’t offer composition per se? </p>

<p>Even if he can get into CCM or Oberlin, with his grades I do not see scholarship offers in his future and we can only afford the equivalent of in-state tuition. We have several excellent public universities w/music programs here (App St, UNC-G, ECU) and App has a very good 3 week music camp, but, I am pretty sure there is not a composition component at their camp. (As a side note, with his grades, even our Publics might be considered a Reach!)</p>

<p>So, Composition Camp at a conservatory or music camp at a more “reachable” college?</p>

<p>Don’t rule out merit money based on his grades - if he applies to a conservatory, or a university where his grades will not be a problem. Music merit money is mainly, but not entirely, based on talent - but financial need is often also taken into account. </p>

<p>For the summer, have you looked into Brevard? I believe they offer composition. And NYSSMA (I might have the acronym wrong) and Eastern?</p>

<p>I don’t feel it’s as important to attend a camp at a particular school, although CCM and Oberlin may be the exceptions as they both offer summer programs - Oberlin offers composition but I don’t think the Accent program at CCM does. More important will be for him to find mentors, and players to perform his work, and to find like-minded friends.</p>

<p>Also look into BUTI, Atlantic and Interlochen. And Walden could be fantastic for him. And then there’s Yellow Barn’s Young Artist Program. It’s great you’re starting now. There’s one summer program, for older students and post-grads for which the deadline is today!</p>

<p>p.s. you should really start a new thread for this…</p>

<p>Thanks Spirit Manager! Actually, I felt like I was posting this in the wrong place but I’m a CC novice. I thought it needed to be here, in the Parents of Musicians area, ha! If you would be so kind as to point me in the right direction, I’ll repost this as a new thread in the right place.</p>

<p>Apologies for posting this question here! I started a new thread in the proper place but don’t know how to delete this one, sorry!</p>

<p>Good morning! </p>

<p>I stumbled onto the music major boards at CC a few weeks ago…What a lifesaver! Older D is a high school junior planning to study horn performance. Younger D is a freshman violist who does not plan–at this point, anyway–to major in music.</p>

<p>Horn-playing daugher is fairly serious about her music. She studies with the horn professor at our local university, plays first horn in our youth symphony, has been to a few summer horn camps, etc. We are starting to create a game plan for the music school hunt, and the wisdom you have shared on this board is invaluable. Thank you, veterans, for taking the time to help the uninitiated!</p>

<p>Hi all, I am the mom of a HS Senior double bassist (both jazz and classical), future Music Ed major. She has already completed all her applications and is starting to get acceptances already.</p>

<p>She has applied to:</p>

<p>Shenandoah University
University of Louisville
Hartt School of Music/University of Hartford
Duquesne
Ithaca
Vanderbilt
UNC Wilmington
Tulane .</p>

<p>She has already auditioned and been accepted at Duquesne.</p>

<p>She has been accepted to Louisville Arts & Sciences and will find out about the Music school after her audition.</p>

<p>She has been accepted to Tulane as well, but they do not require an audition until the end of Freshman year. We did send audio and video recordings though.</p>

<p>She has her Hartt audition in December, but has already gotten the letter saying she meets the academic requirements, so acceptance will be decided after the audition.</p>

<p>After that, she has a month until her January auditions and will finish up in February with UNCW.</p>

<p>Hi alexmarie. I have a HS senior going for piano performance. Looking at Temple, Boston u, Hartt and Duquesne. Same position as you with some academic acceptances start with auditions next week and the one a month till feb. Temple is number one choice. Excited to get started with auditions. We will be T Hartt in dec as well. Good luck bits quite a journey.</p>

<p>asalmon - </p>

<p>We did the early audition at Duquesne in October and so she already has some scholarship money on the table there, which is nice. She is meeting one of the professors again in two weeks for another lesson (free, which is very nice). We are at Hartt with the bass professors this coming Monday and Tuesday and then the December 8th audition. I guess we will see you there :slight_smile: She loves the school, but her tacher just graduated with his Masters from there and has warned her that she will be competing with grad students for ensemble placements and talent money, so that has dampened her interest in the school a bit. I don’t know if the same holds true for piano performance. Good luck to you too!</p>

<p>Alexmariejp: Welcome to another Bass music ed bassmom! I think you’ll find that Hartt will come up with decent scholarship money. Son was accepted 2 yrs ago and they gave him a nice offer and he loved Robert Black. We decided on our instate school for music ed because they made him a financial offer he couldn’t refuse. I see you also have Ithaca on the list. Nick Walker is an amazing teacher and performer. Son did a summer camp with him. Your daughter’s list looks like she has some great choices for music ed and bass. Good luck.</p>

<p>My daughter has studied with Nick Walker off and on for several years. The only reason she is applying there is because Nick asked her to and her private Teacher, James Mick is also at Ithaca. She actually feels like she has already spent enough time at Ithaca. Did your son do Ithaca SMA? Or the old NYASSTA Camp? If so, what year? My daughter is thinking she may know your son…</p>

<p>Alexmariejp, no he did a bass camp outside Washington with his private teacher three years ago. I’m sure if your daughter has studied with Nick Walker then she will do very well in Scholarship $ and ensemble placement at Hartt!</p>

<p>alexmariejp,
Welcome from another mother of a Bass player and also an ex-Ithaca resident. My oldest was born at TCH. I can understand your daughter’s desire to leave Ithaca. And as a Bass player interested in Jazz, I would say it is important that she go somewhere where she can play with a wide variety of people. My son is a freshman at NEC. He has a good friend at Hartt who is a Bass player who seems to be enjoying his first semester. I have not heard anything from his mom about him having to compete with graduate students for ensemble positions. My son’s friend’s experience at Harrt does not sound that different from my son’s experience at NEC. Enjoy and good luck traveling with Bass and</p>

<p>Late introduction. My user name states the obvious. I started following this site a year ago, and now son is a freshman at CCM. I am more of a lurker than a poster, but I cannot express enough my gratitude for the information and insights generously shared here, and will try to “pay back” in any small ways that I can.</p>

<p>Hi-I’ve posted a few times, but have never introduced myself. I am exactly what my names says! I have performed in a professional orchestra for 30 years…sigh. How did I get this old so quickly? My husband is also a professional musician who teaches at a major university. We have a D who is a senior, and a soprano. She is going to pursue a degree in classical voice, and we’re going through it along with everyone else.</p>

<p>Welcome ProMusician! Congrats to your daughter and her audition at Oberlin.</p>