Musicians and Parents - Introduce yourself!

<p>Hello - my daughter is planning on majoring in vocal performance. She attends a school of the arts and is a senior. We have been looking at schools in Texas and California. Already been accepted to 2 of the conservatories.</p>

<p>Iā€™m an incoming Voice Performance major (BM), a soprano auditioning at a few schools this year. Iā€™m considerably older than most of the incoming auditioning Freshmen (Iā€™m 24), so I feel a bit out of place auditioning. Oh well.</p>

<p>Welcome and good luck herranrukos!</p>

<p>Thank you. Iā€™m nervous but excited. The schools Iā€™m applying to this year are quite large and competitive.</p>

<p>Hopefully you hear good news from one of your top choices fairly early which takes the pressure off somewhat.</p>

<p>Hi everyone. Our family went through this process last year, and I wish all of this yearā€™s applicants and their parents the best of luck. S was looking for a double degree, and we have some insight in the Oberlin/Oberlin, Eastman/URoch, and Peabody/Hopkins processes. He ended up going into the Columbia/Juilliard program, which is not a double degree program, but has a fairly unique set of benefits and challenges all its own. When faced with these choices last year, it was difficult to find information on the C/J program, so I wanted to write and offer myself as a resource for anyone looking at this option. I think weā€™ve got it figured out! Despite the sometimes overwhelming demands, he is enjoying himself very much, and feels he made the right choice. Happy to chat with anyone who might have an interest. Good luck to all of you.</p>

<p>Hi everyone,
I have been reading for a while now. The threads are SO helpful! My S is a sophomore and plays bassoon and sax. We go back and forth all the time about whether he will go the conservatory route or a more traditional route with music as a double major or an extracurricular. He still has time, but it is hard to guide him and even to know where to begin in the college search with this big unanswered question about which direction he will even choose. The double degree seems great in theory, but I donā€™t know how manageable that is - his other interest is science and engineering.</p>

<p>I guess I ought to post something here now, after visiting this forum so frequently.</p>

<p>Iā€™m a high school senior pursuing a piano performance major. I also play the violin but piano is my main instrument. Iā€™ve applied to a couple pure conservatories as well as double-degree programs, so Iā€™m hoping for the best and currently crossing my fingers waiting for prescreen notifications. One received so far, six more to goā€¦eek!</p>

<p>I am a Chinese Indonesian girl and a sophomore in high school, main instrument piano. Iā€™ve applied to two conservatories. One received, waiting for one more. Really anxious waiting for the notificationā€¦<em>sigh</em></p>

<p>Lizzhou, can you explain ā€¦ You are a sophomore in HS and are applying to conservatories? Are you going to finish high school while at a conservatory or are you receiving notification for a summer program? Or something else? Thanks!</p>

<p>SnowflakeVT,
I applied for Bachelor degree, so I am not going to finish HS if I am accepted to a conservatory. If not then I am going to continue HS and finish it.</p>

<p>I am not quite familiar with these things yet so if my answer is unsatisfying I am sorryā€¦</p>

<p>Thank you for clarifying ā€¦ I didnā€™t realize you could jump to a conservatory without finishing HS. You must be very talented. Best of luck to you!</p>

<p>Thank you, SnowflakeVT :)</p>

<p>Hey, all. I know Iā€™m not new around here, but Iā€™m in the middle of applications for my Masterā€™s is viola performance, so I figured Iā€™d start getting more active again. As always, Iā€™m around for viola or Eastman related questions. Best of luck to all!</p>

<p>Good luck with your auditions, lukeg3891!</p>

<p>As screen name implies my D is violin player. She is currently a junior in public HS. She is most likely heading down path for Bach in Music Ed and looking towards state universities.</p>

<p>Hi, This is my first post. I am a Mom of 7 whose oldest son loves all things musical, but cello and composition is his passion. I am looking for input from everyone as we have lived in Europe for 20 years, but are trying to figure out possible colleges from overseas. We are doing a cross-country trip next summer and have the chance to visit possible colleges before my son starts his junior year of high school. This will be his only chance before he flies back to start college. He is hoping to get into a composition camp and is preparing some compositions for the application. We canā€™t fly back for any auditions and are hoping to connect with professors during the summer if we can. . .</p>

<p>Welcome. There are many composition camps in Europe he might consider., as well as ones in the US. Some are for older students but not all. One is run by Joel Hoffman of CCM (Univ. of Cincinnati) on an island in Croatia. It would be a good chance to get to know him. If your son wants to major in both composition and cello - CelloCompMom will be your best resource as she explored all the possibilities for such a double major (it excludes a number of programs.) On the other hand, if cello will just be his primary instrument as a composition major - all programs will be open to him. There are many of us here who know quite a bit about both composition and cello programs - so feel free to ask your questions!</p>

<p>Swedemom, If you son is looking for a double major in cello performance and composition I am glad to share with you what we have learned. My son is a freshman double major in those things at Ithaca College and very happy. We looked at 19 schools mostly in east and midwest. We did a lot of research before we visisted these schools. There are many schools where you cannot do this double, There are some that are welcoming of it and some that have tracks. Be sure if they have tracks you know who you will study cello with. At some schools it might be a grad student. The double is a lot of work but my son had very clear reason for wanting to do it. My son hopes to do this in 4 years. It helped that he went in with many years of piano, lots of theory and lots of AP classes. Of the top of my head you can double at Univ. of Michigan, Indiana-Jacobs, St. Olaf, Oberlin, Eastman, The Hartt School, SUNY Fredonia, Lawrence, Baldwin Wallace Carnegie Mellon and CIM I think. We did not look at NYC Schools. I think you can at Peabody but we did not look there. I also know you cannot at SUNY Purchase, Vanderbilt and Bard. We looked at NEC and Boston Con. but I do not think you can double major in these things there. I think you might be able to at BU but we did not look at BU. My son did not really want a city enviroment for undergrad. Please let me know if I can tell you anything else about the schools. And please check that the schools allow it. It is often not on the website and we have to ask and my advice is that when you go to audition make sure you have a clear audition time for both cello and composition. We had confusion regarding this at more than one school and at some schools you have to actually apply twice and pay two fees. Good luck. Feel free to contact me.</p>

<p>Hi,
I have been following CC for about two years now, and decided to join in the discussion today. My Daughter is a high school senior, applying to Vocal Performance BM programs-sheā€™s a soprano, 14 college applications to be exactā€¦ugg. I will be writing the parent guide book on this process once I retire. She attends a Saturday pre-college program (MSM), and has been fortunate enough to attend summer programs (Interlochen, Bel Canto-Italy, WNO Institute, and NYU Classical Intensive). We have met amazing young vocalists, teachers, coaches, and parents, along the way, as well as visited about 20 college/conservatory programs. I would be happy to share any thoughts and experiences throughout this journey-which is not over yet.</p>