Musicians and Parents - Introduce yourself!

<p>yellowsub,</p>

<p>Welcome. I have taken a whack at a guide over at </p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/258796-so-you-want-music-major-one-familys-experience.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/258796-so-you-want-music-major-one-familys-experience.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>which you may wish to check out for tips on the remainder of the process with your daughter and for ideas for your own forthcoming version.</p>

<p>Thanks for the link BassDad, I remember reading posts on your very informative thread. This whole world of a music performance career is very new to our family, and posts on this site have been extreamly helpful in trying to make sense of the process, as well as provide opinions (good and bad) on programs.</p>

<p>Just joining after reading threads for the last 6 months. D is a senior soprano and wants to study vocal performance and music education. She put together a large list of schools with her voice teacher and after visits choose 9. Loved Ithaca the best so applied early decision to vocal performance and music Ed and was accepted. She went with her gut feeling and did not worry about rankings or lists, but her connection with the school and teachers and picked the place she feels she will be most successful. I hope she will be happy and will report her experience in a year after her fall semester. Best to all who have shared info and advice.</p>

<p>Hi, I’m a high school junior, and my main instrument is piano. (I also play the cello). Hoping to use this to get some more information on double majoring and just the processes/applications in general…</p>

<p>Hello all. I’m a Mom of a senior soprano DD. She wants to puruse VP and will be auditioning at Boston Conservatory and Oberlin, as well as PSU, U of O (both Oregon) and WWU in Washington. Waiting for a few more “invites” we hope! </p>

<p>Thanks for all the very helpful advice and information – I’ve been lurking on and off for the past year or so. Not having the VP or MT background, this is definitely a new learning experience!</p>

<p>Update from a previous active parent - my son is at University of South Carolina, music scholarship, Bass Trombone. He switched this past semester from Music Ed to Music Performance, and in his case this made total sense. His trombone professor is outstanding, and insisted he minor in either Sound engineering or Music Entrepreneurship (a new program at SC). Been through it all, from college auditions to multiple offers, to going OOS, to more auditions once he got there. Happy to share insights for those seeking the next level of information and advice, as the adventure continues!</p>

<p>Hello all. My S is a hs senior percussion (with Jazz Piano). He is currently scheduled to audition at Indiana, Lawrence, Illinois, Kentucky, DePaul and Florida State looking at a classical percussion with Jazz Studies minor. D is hs sophmore who wants NOTHING to do with organized music (but sings showtunes all day). I played sax through hs (and am very amateur guitar) and my wife played clarinet through hs. Currently enjoying all of the extra time money and effort it takes to support a music applicant!!!</p>

<p>Goodluck in the process drumdad334. That is a good and varied selection of schools.</p>

<p>Hi! I am a European classical singer who currently lives in the US. I’m fiddling my way through the application process, hoping that I can continue with music as I head for college. As my nick says, my voice teacher believes that I am a dramatic soprano, so I am looking around to find more info related to this as well.</p>

<p>Long time watcher, occasional contributor and (obviously) mom to a sax player. Have 10 (yes 10) live auditions booked. Had Hartt in December (with reassuring acceptance in the bag), just had Duquesne this past Friday and S was very happy with it. Now embarking on (in chronological order) Fredonia (local audition), Temple, Miami, Hofsta, FSU, George Mason, Crane/Potsdam (locally), and finishing up with UNT. Hope I’m still able to speak at the end of it. We’re pretty good at road trips by now having done several visits with lessons last year. That was very useful. Based on those he dropped Eastman and Ithaca. See you all in the acceptance thread :blush:</p>

<p>Hi. I am Mom to a hs senior son who will be majoring in double bass performance this fall. Auditions start the first weekend in February and end in mid-March. I’ve been lurking for some time now and thought it time I join in. I really appreciate all the information I’ve picked up on here and hope to share a bit of our journey too.</p>

<p>Hi MomTheRoadie, double bassist mom here too. What schools are your sons auditions at ? We end in February, thankfully!</p>

<p>Hi Alexmariejp,</p>

<p>S is auditioning at Curtis, University of Michigan, Michigan State University and Bowling Green. He’s been accepted academically to BGSU and to the Honors College at MSU, but still needs to audition for the music school at both. What a process this is - especially with a double bass in tow. Our only stipulation in the search was that we had to be able to drive to a potential college in under twelve hours. I’m sure at some point we’ll have to transport his instrument on a plane, and I’m not looking forward to that! We don’t even own a hard case. Oberlin and Indiana University were also on the list and visited but removed for different reasons as his search progressed.</p>

<p>MomTheRoadie, we have some schools in common. My D is auditioning at U of Mich and Michigan State too - in fact, she had her MSU audition last weekend. She wants to do voice performance - the best part about that? No instrument to lug around! The worst part about that - losing her voice during the heart of flu/colds season - could ruin her audition. Good luck to your S, and maybe we’ll see you around!</p>

<p>Successfully have acceptance to Duquesne and Hartt for piano performance. Off to Temple next. It’s been a long journey nearing its end. Scheduled for BU but may decide to cancel. Happy with Hartt but fairly confident about Temple. Ready for a break. Good luck to everyone and congrats to those who have heard their acceptances.</p>

<p>I’m a sophomore flute performance major at Michigan State University. I’m mainly here to offer my input about what music school and the audition process is like, so if you have any questions (especially about MSU) feel free to message me.</p>

<p>Momtheroadie,
I am a parent of a double bass player as well (Freshman Jazz Double Bass at NEC) so I understand the travel issue all too well. Most colleges have a double bass that your son or daughter can borrow. My son borrowed a Bass at Eastman for his audition and borrowed a bass at Oberlin when he visited in the spring to check Oberlin out. In cities like New York or Boston it is often possible to rent a double bass for a weekend. </p>

<p>My son’s private teacher has written a blog about travel with a double bass. We were told that flying with a double bass is not a good idea. Even with the most expensive hard case your bass is likely to get damaged as it must go into the hold of the plane. If you ship a double bass be prepared to have a luthier at the place you are shipping it to who can help you with any bridge adjustments that will need to be done post-shipping.</p>

<p>If you borrow the Bass, I recommend bringing your own bow. At one school son visited, the studio teacher let him borrow his bass but we didn’t think about the bow. Son is predominantly a French bow player but the teacher only had German bows available. Plus it’s always nice being comfortable with the bow weight etc when auditioning. Good luck and safe travels.</p>

<p>Hi, I just joined. My D is a Freshman in high school, so it’s probably too early. But, this is a great site, we’re learning a lot.</p>

<p>Pianolovers we are covering the same ground. Acceptances at Hartt and Duquesne. We were supposed to go to Temple this weekend but cancelled. Had Fredonia yesterday and off to Miami this week. Five more after that, then done…phew</p>