Musicians and Parents - Introduce yourself!

<p>Hi - I’m new here and saw this sticky post asking for introductions. So here goes:</p>

<p>Mom of HS Junior flutist daughter and 4th grade clarinetist/pianist (who plays at NYSSMA Level 5 already). My older daughter is starting to look at colleges with BM Ed. degree programs. (Boy, do they seem few and far between!) We’re in NYS, so the whole Northeast is pretty much do-able. I think at this point that she’ll most likely wind up at one of the good state schools for Music Ed (Fredonia or Potsdam), but she’s very interested in Ithaca College as well. </p>

<p>I found this board while researching summer music programs, but the post I put up hasn’t generated any replies. This is my daughter’s last summer doing one of these HS level programs (she’s done CYM at Crane for the last three years and has somewhat outgrown it), so we’d like to make it really count.</p>

<p>Beth</p>

<p>re: summer music programs - The BUTI (Boston University Tanglewood Institute) applications are due soon! It was an amazing summer experience.</p>

<p>YueYang96: If she has been looking at Ithaca, she ought to consider going to the Ithaca SMA program this summer.</p>

<p>I am the mother to a hs sophomore son who is studying as a countertenor…shock to me, who drove him to voice lessons all through middle school thinking Sondheim! But classical music seems to be his passion, and we’ve both been reading alot trying to learn about programs and colleges. He’s lucky to be training with a professor at a local university who had a career as a countertenor before teaching.<br>
Starting to think about visiting schools for practice lessons, in search of a good fit. Open to ideas! Thankfully, cost and distance aren’t major issues for us, so we are looking for quality and opportunity.</p>

<p>If I should start a new thread let me know. I never remember if I should do that or ask my ?'s here, sorry!</p>

<p>My son is a HS Jr, planning to major in Music Composition. You guys have given me great advice so far. One thing (of many) that was set in motion as a result of this site: I pushed him to enter one of his compositions in a competition. He learned last week that he won first place, yahoo! A call went out to high school composers from Winthrop University (Rock Hill, SC) and the pieces were adjudicated by Dr. Daniel Weymouth of SUNY Stony Brook (who was in town for a weekend program for Winthrop students). I’m thinking this is a pretty huge deal and we’re excited but of course, I’m just the Mom and barely remember anything from my 7 years of piano lessons back in the 60’s so I’m easily impressed.</p>

<p>OK, so, that’s my brag and shout out to my CC advisors. Real purpose of this post: when did your kids start visiting programs? My son’s top choices right now are UNT and Belmont but we’ve not visited ANY school yet and I feel behind. He will also of course apply to our very good in-state music programs (App St, UNC-G, ECU) and now Winthrop down across the border wants him to come for a visit. Guess we should also add SUNY Stony Brook, yes? Also, due to advice from you guys, I’m thinking we should give Hartt, Temple and Bowling Green in OH a look but I don’t now how we are going to pull all of those off. Did you guys visit all of your schools prior to applying?</p>

<p>Also, if you are noticing a theme here in the schools noted: he does not have a stellar GPA so I’m trying to be realistic about the schools he can actually get into. </p>

<p>Thoughts anyone??</p>

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>My son is beginning to search for music programs of interest, and possibly performance only programs. He has taken cello lessons since age 5, is solid in his philharmonic orchestra. </p>

<p>I have read quite a few past posts on school offers/acceptances, but would like to have some advice on how to distill out the search (the database of acceptances is very good) for programs and scholarships. My son plays baseball too (he’s training quite often right now between music and baseball) so any help would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>Also, I noticed a dual major some parents mentioned for acoustic engineering/music dual major. Since my son really enjoys math/science, and other similar programs would be helpful.</p>

<p>Lastly, any tips on finding programs that offer performance only scholarships? My son will be looking for programs with good music programs where he might be able to play baseball. He has drawn interest in baseball, but his mom and I want music and a science to be his main focus, as does he (after a slew of discussions :).</p>

<p>Thanks in advance - signed, YoYo’s dad</p>

<p>My son tried to play baseball and study music. He had to give it up - because his ensemble rehearsals and performances conflicted with the baseball games and practices. However, if your son is interested in giving it a go, for baseball and music and math - look at Oberlin and Bard. Bard’s baseball program is new, Oberlin is in a tough division. Northwestern is Div I and he’d need to be recruited - and their Club team is very serious, as well - players have gotten recruited straight from the Club team! The problem for a musician is that he’s going to need a baseball team that is relaxed about him missing practices, and even some games. Which means he should look for a club team, or at the most Div III.</p>

<p>Tarheelian - We tried to eliminate double trips, so we waited for our visits until they were audition visits. As far as grades go, one admissions counselor from a very prestigious university told me their admissions office “rubber stamps” the applications to send over to the music school. They said 90% rested on the audition. However, another school said they decision is shared with university and music admissions. My daughter applied to several schools above my academic admission comfort zone, and she passed all 13 of her prescreenings, so she is being considered at all of those places. Good luck to you as you start this adventure!</p>

<p>Thank you very much for your feedback. You make great points, and the tips on the colleges are great. My son will need to begin figuring out if he’ll be a music major or performance only. Either way, practices may conflict with a baseball team. It’s definitely one of the first questions to inquire about. Club teams are a great option as well - thanks! I’ll keep updating as I learn more and he does his research with us.</p>

<p>I’m the mom of an 11th grade violist (son). He hopes to major in music performance and is preparing repertoire for auditions next year. </p>

<p>I’ve been reading posts on cc for the past year or so and I am amazed by the wise advice and wonderful support exhibited here. </p>

<p>He is fortunate to have an amazing private teacher with whom he has studied for the past 5 years. His teacher takes very few students but has a strong record of getting students into top conservatories. </p>

<p>DS has done very well in regional competitions, all-state, etc. however, we do recognize that he definitely has that “big fish in a small pond” syndrome because of our location.</p>

<p>He is also very strong academically. He will likely be a National Merit Finalist (won’t know for sure until fall), and is currently #1 in his class of over 500 ( public high school) with lots of AP’s.</p>

<p>We live in the Midwest and are not anywhere near any top music schools. We are trying to make a short list of music schools to which he will apply this fall. Private teacher wants him to apply to top conservatory programs like CIM, Curtis, NEC, etc.</p>

<p>As parents, we are concerned about cost. While we may qualify for some need based aid, it appears our EFC could still be overwhelming.</p>

<p>We are really stumped on trying to find a good financial safety for our son. Are there strong music schools who will combine academic merit with talent based merit aid?</p>

<p>Michigan, Indiana and USC all will provide academic merit aid, in addition to music merit. As an NMF he will automatically qualify for a half tuition+ at USC. I’m sure there are many others, as well. As a very academic student - will he be happy at a music conservatory only?</p>

<p>Also I believe Oberlin gives academic and music merit, though others will know more about whether one can qualify for both. And Rice might give academic scholarships. Bard Conservatory does have a special full tuition award for high achieving music/academic applicants.</p>

<p>MWstringmom
I PMd you with these threads I started as we were in a similar position NMF and music major - see my username. :)</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/national-merit-scholarships/1396865-music-major-nmf-full-tuition-full-ride-scholarship.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/national-merit-scholarships/1396865-music-major-nmf-full-tuition-full-ride-scholarship.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/1396690-national-merit-scholarships-music-major.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/1396690-national-merit-scholarships-music-major.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>A couple of southern schools to look at are University of North Texas and Southern Methodist University. UNT has an excellent music school although the strings program is probably the least strong area. They do have very generous academic aid. I believe they give a full ride for NMF. Additionally, any OOS student who receives a scholarship of at least $1000 qualifies for in-state tuition, making UNT very affordable.</p>

<p>SMU, although not known for music, has an outstanding strings program. The viola teachers are the principal and assistant principal violists with the Dallas Symphany Orchestra. In addition to being excellent violists, they are also top notch teachers. SMU is fairly generous with scholarships stacking artistic, academic and need. </p>

<p>Also, you don’t have to worry too much about snow during your audition weekend!</p>

<p>In looking through those threads musicmerit mentioned I was reminded of Vanderbilt, which I always seem to forget - as a school which gives academic merit and has a strong music program. (And strong academics.) University of Miami may be another.</p>

<p>Unless they have changed recently, Oberlin offers academic merit awards to those in Oberlin College and talent-based awards to those in the Conservatory. It is possible to get some of each if you are accepted for the double degree program, but the amounts would still be coordinated through the same Financial Aid office. Aid there is usually pretty generous, with relatively larger amounts in scholarships and grants and relatively lower amounts in loans. Need-based awards are available to all who qualify and those with a fairly high income and more than one child in college at the same time stand to qualify for more need-based aid than they may realize.</p>

<p>Quick intro here: </p>

<p>I’m a mezzo-soprano in opera finishing my BM in Vocal Performance.<br>
I have a bigger voice so I’m taking two years off after I graduate, but I am still starting my research for graduate programs. Ideally, big name schools with good voice teachers that I can do a dual MM/MA degree in vocal performance and historical musicology in which I can continue my doctorate.</p>

<p>Hi, everyone! I’ve made a couple of posts here, but, by way of a more “proper” introduction, I thought I’d post on this thread.</p>

<p>Currently I’m a high school senior in the middle of the audition process! I’m an oboist (if you couldn’t tell), and I’m looking to either double major or double degree in oboe performance and biology. :)</p>

<p>I’m very excited to become a part of what seems to be a very supportive online network of musicians and parents at all levels of the musical “spectrum,” and I’m happy to share my thoughts, feelings, and insights as I embark on my own musical journey!</p>

<p>Hi mezzoland. DD is also a big voiced low mezzo. She did exactly that - took 2 years off. She is now applying to grad schools. She stayed in the same town and continued lessons and coaching with her universisty teachers. She did a summer program and she also sang in the HGO chrous. She found that to be a very good experieince. Keep singing and good luck on your journey.</p>

<p>Thank you for all of your thoughtful responses! Many of your recommendations seem to be very good options. </p>

<p>BassDad, do you think aid at Oberlin would be similar in amount for a conservatory only student as to that of a double degree program student?</p>