Musicians and Parents - Introduce yourself!

<p>Spirit mom, you raise a good question? I can picture him being happy in either a conservatory or a university. My initial thought is to include at least one or two of each on our “list” to give him the opportunity to discover what he feels will be the best fit for him.</p>

<p>MWstringmom, that is a very hard question to answer in a general sense because these decisions are made one by one on the basis of very specific information and needs, both yours and the school’s. Certainly there are more sources of merit-based aid from which to draw for the double degree students, but the very same office coordinates aid for both College and Conservatory students. They try to spread the available resources around with a number of goals in mind. What tends to happen is that someone in the dual degree program receiving both academic and talent based merit awards would receive somewhat less in each of those categories than they might have had they only gotten one or the other. The sum might or might not be more than what they would have received from either the Conservatory or the College alone. You might want to fool around with their Net Price Calculator to run various scenarios and see what, if any, need-based aid you might be offered. It is at [Net</a> Price Calculator - Oberlin College](<a href=“http://new.oberlin.edu/arts-and-sciences/admissions/finances/npc.dot]Net”>http://new.oberlin.edu/arts-and-sciences/admissions/finances/npc.dot) </p>

<p>A lot of people assume that they either earn too much or have too much in current assets to receive any need-based aid, but at least some of those people turn out to be quite wrong.</p>

<p>I don’t know how much money is available this year in Conservatory Dean’s talent awards, but the year my daughter auditioned I heard that they offered about the top third of accepted auditioners amounts that ranged from $10K to $15K per year for four years (five if in the dual degree program). Of course, the total cost of attendance was a good bit lower back then.</p>

<p>Hi I’m new here. I am in the class of 2014. I play violin and piano and I want to major in music composition at Juilliard, Eastman, Curtis, or Peabody.</p>

<p>Welcome Compomser1996. Any idea why you want to major in composition at those particular conservatories? What I mean is - do you like the professors there and their aesthetics? Curtis and Peabody are quite different, for instance. Since you’re a junior this is a perfect time to start researching. Start reading about the different composition departments across the country, and explore the music of both the professors, and, if possible (which it often is) the students there.</p>

<p>@SpiritManager. Yes I have researched on their sites. I choose those schools because they are the best and curtis well because it’s free. What I want to find out is what kind of music are they looking for? I would hate to apply and not be accepted because of "what’s</p>

<p>*because of “what” I sent; if that makes sense. I almost interested in writing film music</p>

<p>I have never been to New York or any if these colleges/conservatories. I have neither met the professors.</p>

<p>Compomser1996 - they’re not ‘the best’ - they’re just choices.And there are others out there that might serve a budding film composer better. There are many many threads on the Music Major Forum about composition - and lots of questions about where to study for a career in scoring for film. Do a search in this forum and you’ll find lots of info.</p>

<p>For flim scoring - look at USC. They have a great program, among many others. But I agree that the schools you listed are not necessarily “the best” - you have to look specifically at the composition departments, the professors, the courses, etc. It all depends on “who” you will be studying with - not “where”.</p>

<p>Well I did read the composition sections. It did state that their stuffs compositions appear in films. @SpiritManager.</p>

<p>Compomser1996 - What is your music composition and theory background?</p>

<p>Thanks megpmom. I looked up the school. Thanks to you USC has become my top school. After completing their BM program your guaranteed acceptance into the certificate program to score for tv shows and movies.</p>

<p>Sup guys! Im a musician, but majoring in science haha</p>

<p>Compdad. I am currently in AP theory in my school. I plan on taking IB theory next year. And as far as composition, I can write music. Not to brag at all; not having any class in comp, I am highly capable.</p>

<p>Ok. I just looked over the site. USC is officially my top school now.</p>

<p>Introducing myself. Mom of 3, oldest in middle school (6th) who has fallen in love with her cello. She has started asking what options exist for her (college/career-wise) for her with the cello - her school asks students to think of college and career goals.
She currently only plays with her school orchestra but is starting private lessons. She also loves singing, performing in musical theatre, painting/drawing, music theory (a favorite!), computer programming, math, and science.
I’ll post a question to ask for career options to pass along to her (she’s supposed to track these in her agenda each year).
She may change her mind a 100 times in the next 6 years, but the cello has been such a wonderful experience for her so far. She says she can’t imagine not playing!</p>

<p>My D is applying for double bass performance, classical. Narrowed down to Eastman, Peabody, CMU, Ithaca and Oberlin. Any thoughts about these schools?</p>

<p>debtaps, welcome. I think you might get more response by starting a new thread to ask your question rather than adding off-topic traffic to this thread, which is already quite large. It is easy to do by going up one level to the Music Major area and clicking on New Thread up near the top. If you start that thread, I will be happy to tell you about my daughter’s experience as a double bass performance major at Oberlin. (She also applied to Peabody and CMU among others not on your list.)</p>

<p>debtaps, Sent you a private message.</p>

<p>thanks, I just started a new post, I’m new to all of this</p>