Musicians and Parents - Introduce yourself!

<p>Hi! First post for me, though I’ve been lurking for years. My son is a violist hoping to pursue a double degree in performance and physics. He’s auditioning at Oberlin, Eastman, Peabody, Curtis, and the University of Minnesota. </p>

<p>If he is accepted to Curtis, will he attempt the physics degree at UPenn?</p>

<p>From what I’ve heard of the workload at Curtis, getting a second degree in Physics would be a super-human feat. I know a Curtis student who regularly took classes at Penn, but one, possibly two, a semester only.</p>

<p>Yes, that’s what I’ve heard. Even one a semester is difficult to schedule. It’s not even the workload (not to downplay the workload) but the difference between how conservatory schedules work vs. regular college schedules. Juilliard students are theoretically able to take Columbia classes, but it’s very hard to fit them in. The joint degree program is different-- one is de facto a Columbia student who takes lessons at Juilliard and has the option to apply for an early master’s degree for the last two years. I’m wondering if dec51995’s son considered Bard College. </p>

<p>Glassharmonica and SpiritManager: I don’t know what he would do if he were accepted at Curtis. It seems such a long shot that we don’t have much of a plan. Maybe take a course or two at UPenn to stay current with the math/science and then apply there for a dual degree the next year. We should be so lucky to have that problem! We did consider Bard but ruled it out because his teacher didn’t know much about the music program–great viola teachers, no doubt, but what kind of orchestra? And Juliiard/Columbia or Harvard/MIT/NEC seemed difficult to do–particularly with a science major Lots of careful reading about dual degrees in CC over the years helped us rather carefully narrow colleges down to ones that had top-notch music and seemed the most dual-degree friendly. Now we need to get the right combination of acceptances!</p>

<p>That’s a pity you didn’t look into Bard. The conservatory orchestra is fantastic, as are all the students and teachers. They’re some of the top players in the world, both students and teachers- and the program demands a double degree so is completely supportive. However, it’s not as strong a physics program as one will find in a big research university although most students in the sciences are really happy with the professors and the education they’re receiving - even if the choice of courses is more limited…Did your son also apply to Rochester, and Johns Hopkins?</p>

<p>I just want to say off-topically that I love your avatar, SM.</p>

<p>Thanks GH! I thought it fit!</p>

<p>SM: Yes, he did apply to JHU and Rochester. We’ll keep Bard on the list to investigate for Plan B if he doesn’t get the acceptances he wants this year. I know Michael Tree is at Bard. My son is a bit undecided on the STEM aspect of his interests. He loves computer programming, math and science and thinks he wants to do something in theoretical computing. We also considered Carnegie Mellon, but weren’t sure about music there, either. </p>

<p>I’m a senior hoping to major in clarinet performance with auditions at UMD, Towson, NYU, BU, and Temple! </p>

<p>Welcome jwaldman96! Good luck with your auditions!</p>

<p>Mom of vocal performance major & communications major freshman. Reading mezzomom’s earlier post DD appears similar in that she is not leaning towards VP but was also the only freshman cast in the Fall opera. She wants to perform but also have another career. She loves being a music major & they are really pressuring her to perform more but she is unsure about her career choice. </p>

<p>“they are really pressuring her to perform” Who are “they”? I ask, because pressuring a young singer to perform is inappropriate and can result in cord damage.</p>

<p>Brava, musicamusica! Someone needs to speak up about this because a young singer shouldn’t be pushed into “overperforming” or singing too much in any capacity. Once damage to a throat occurs, it’s not easy to fix and may be impossible. Unfortunately, I’ve also seen young singers arrive at conservatory, watch their instrumentalist friends spending hours in the practice room and try to keep up- yes, they make amazing progress for a few months and then the overwork catches up and they end up on vocal rest or having to leave school. It’s flattering to be asked to perform, but there’s a very good reason why good programs hold the roles for seniors and/or grad students.
musicvet, your D should feel free to say that she is, “Flattered, but just isn’t comfortable singing so much at the present time”, and should be able to express those feelings to her studio teacher. If he/she is the one “pressuring” her, then a change of teacher may be in order.</p>

<p>Don’t worry she is careful & they are strict about vocal health. Wrong choice of words on my part. I meant that her professors are encouraging her to be a vocal performance major but she is still on the fence. Thanks everyone!!</p>

<p>Yes…“pressuring her to perform” and “encouraging her to be a vp major” are two different things. Especially since you are referring to a freshman.</p>

<p>VP still is not for everyone and it’s an expensive long haul with education extending well past grad school. I hope she has a realistic view of what a career in VP looks like in today’s market. (not for the faint hearted or those sitting on the fence ) Nothing wrong with continuing private voice lessons while studying communications. It would not preclude grad school in VP . </p>

<p>Hi to everyone,
I’m a parent of a S applying for DMA in composition at Peabody. S was previously on a full M Mus scholarship at Baylor in performance, and changed to concentrate on composition during the course. He had a series of scholarships previously in the UK, and is an international student. He was told that it might be difficult to go straight from performance to composition - so we won’t know until next week how he’s got on. He’s prepared to wait and reapply if he’s not successful this time. Everyone seems so helpful on this site - it’s nice to know there are people willing to give their time to advise students - and parents. </p>

<p>Welcome, composer parent! Did your son only apply to the one DMA program? If he doesn’t get in this year, there are a number of strong PhD/DMA programs in composition that he might not have considered, not having been part of the composition world earlier. Although, when it comes down to it, there are usually only a few that are right for the particular student.</p>

<p>Hi, Janypem and welcome.This is a great group of people and for the most part, we’re usually pretty sane (except for notification season, from March until the beginning of May!</p>

<p>Hi, Janypem and welcome.This is a great group of people and for the most part, we’re usually pretty sane (except for notification season, from March until the beginning of May!</p>