My parents are illegal can my sister & I still apply for fafsa?

<p>Hi. My sister and I graduated high school on May 25, 2012. Well I have two questions & so sorry for my bad spelling. . Well both my parents are illegals. . and my sister & I are U.S Ciztiens. We live in Nebraska. My sister just turned 18 & I just turned 19. My dad has always made his taxes with his TAX ID. He got laid off work and didn't do taxs 10'-12' . I filled out a FAFSA form on April I was still in high school. I took a tax from from 09' and the lady filled in the SSN# with my dads TAX ID. . I got an email from FASFA saying the SSN# was incorrect (obsouliy) . I really don't know what to do. I just want to know if that FAFSA form will be canceld or not? Thats the first question now. In the summer of 2012 (June-August) , I attended college only took two classes. I only attended school because when I regestir I was still in high school and the tution was half off, so for both classes I only paid $405. Its a community college by the way. Now my sister is attending and I want to go back for Winter classes. We both work at the same job and make really good money. My dad hasn't made his taxes because he doesn't have a steady job but he is working with this guy who has his own personal handy man company. He pays my dad in cash. I'm just wondering can my sister and I still apply for the FAFSA? I don't want to apply again not knowing what can happen to my parents. Im in fear. . </p>

<p>Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using CC</p>

<p>karen,</p>

<p>I’m not knowledgeable on this, hopefully some other members are, and I see you’ve posted on the FA & Scholarships forum, there are some very experienced people there. One other thing you might try to do is go to the FA & Scholarship forum and use the Search function for ‘illegal’ and ‘undocumented’ and see if it brings up any previous threads that are applicable to your situation.</p>

<p>I am so sorry that this happened to you. Sounds like you got some bad advise. Who was the lady that advised you to fill out FAFSA using your dad’s tax id number? My understanding is that you put 000-00-000 in place of the social security number. Here is a possible helpful link
<a href=“http://media.collegeboard.com/digitalServices/pdf/diversity/Repository-Resources-Undocumented-Students_2012.pdf-[/url]”>http://media.collegeboard.com/digitalServices/pdf/diversity/Repository-Resources-Undocumented-Students_2012.pdf-&lt;/a&gt; </p>

<p>I realize that you are not undocumented but it may have answers about the what to do with the former mess up with the tax id # being mistaken for a SSN.</p>

<p>Is there a financial aid office at the community college you can go to ask questions? Or perhaps a Hispanic organization in your city that can help? Is it possible to file now as independent considering you both work?</p>

<p>I cant remeber her name. But she worked with the fafsa offices or something because she had a card saying fafsa with her name and number but I lost it. & Thank you for the link. Yes they do have a financial aid office at our college. My sister went in and asked if she could put down her own taxes because she has filed taxes for 2 years from the same job she has. And the lady said she couldnt until she was i think 21. I havent made taxes because i recently starting working there for almost 3 months but i will file taxes. Can we both be indepent? Or should i do another fafsa form and this time put all 0’s? My dad gets paid in cash/personal checks every friday about $450-500. But his boss puts in my name because my dad doesnt have a bank account at the moment. What do i have to do? I really need help. </p>

<p>Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using CC</p>

<p><a href=“http://media.collegeboard.com/digitalServices/pdf/diversity/Repository-Resources-Undocumented-Students_2012.pdf[/url]”>http://media.collegeboard.com/digitalServices/pdf/diversity/Repository-Resources-Undocumented-Students_2012.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Go to the above link- it has organizations in Nebraska specifically to help students. Call them or e-mail them.</p>

<p>Also, I’m wondering if your father’s boss writes the check in your name, then would you have to claim this as your income? I would advise against this as student income is accounted at a higher rate than parent income. I also wonder if your father can file taxes for last year and then you can complete FAFSA using last year’s lower income and use the 000-00-000 in place of a social security #. Wish you the best.</p>

<p>You file the FAFSA with your parents income using the 000, etc. Your parent will have to sign on paper rather than electronically. Follow the instructions at the FAFSA website to get the signature page printed out. </p>

<p>kelsmom who posts in the financial aid forum is the expert on this kind of stuff. If you send her a PM she will help you out.</p>

<p>I have a similar problem, and was wondering if you solved yours?
And if so, how?</p>