My parents send my US Presidential Scholarship nomination to several elite schools without my notice. Will this hurt my chance?

First of all, this is not meant to be a click bait. I think being a candidate for US Presidential Scholarship could definitely be an honor. However, in the context of elite college admissions, I don’t think this is very substantial. When I received this nomination I did not think about sending it to colleges. But my parents sent it without telling me about their decision. I’m truly scared that colleges will think I’m too pretentious… I just want to know if this will hurt my chance?

1 Like

How did they send it? Did they use your email or portal? I think this is fine but I hope you can talk to your parents about what happened!

The scholarship would need to be reported to the financial aid office though, since outside scholarships are often deducted from financial aid.

It will neither hurt nor enhance your chances.

US Presidential Scholars program is about recognition and has no financial component.

5 Likes

Scholars is a different term from “scholarship” ! :grinning:

They sent it through emails, and I believe they sent it directly to the admission officers.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer. I just hope they will not think my emails being too annoying.

“Elite” colleges won’t care.

Have you actually received the scholarship? Or were you just nominated but didn’t receive it? You have to do things to get it: submit candidacy materials, including essays, self-assessments, secondary school reports, and transcripts.

Regardless, it seems to be legitimate and a pretty big deal, so I not sure why you wouldn’t want this information on your application. It wasn’t right for your parents to submit it pretending to be you, but I don’t think it’s going to hurt your app.

1 Like

Don’t worry about it. Other people prob notified them as well. It won’t hurt or help since it’s just a nomination at this point.

@nneg39 i am a parent of a current college student. I am truly SPEECHLESS that your parents sent something straight to college admissions. Most colleges won’t accept any communication except thru student and portals. Did they send it, pretending to be you, or sent it as your parent? Either way…not cool.
Do NOT share your portal or student id with your parents. Helicopter :helicopter: parenting isn’t attractive…

5 Likes

It’s good to hear! As long as they don’t care about these emails I’m good with it.

I mentioned in my title that it is only a “nomination.” This is also why I think it not necessary to send it to colleges, as a lot of people also receive this. Anyways, it’s good to hear it won’t hurt my application.

1 Like

It’s good to hear! Thank you!

1 Like

I think the actual nomination is a bigger deal than just being considered. All high test scorers are considered unless they exclude themselves. Only a certain number get nominated. Regardless, there isn’t anything yiu can do now but I don’t think it will harm your app.

Change all your passwords and maybe even make a new email address. Your parents shouldn’t have done what they did.

6 Likes

Yes… I gave them my email because they required it. They sent it using my own email address, and that’s why I think colleges accept the communication as they think it is me.

2 Likes

My son was nominated while he was applying and updated his colleges with the information (including elite schools). He heard back from several with “congratulations” and some said they would add it to his admissions file (a couple said it was too late to add to his admissions file, but still said “congrats”.) He got acceptances from some of these colleges, so I don’t think it had any negative impact!

4 Likes

Did they use YOUR email? Then change your passwords so they can’t do so again.

5 Likes

@nneg39 so many :triangular_flag_on_post::triangular_flag_on_post: Once you have made your college decision, get your college .edu e-mail & portal…and NEVER share that with your parents.
:triangular_flag_on_post::helicopter::triangular_flag_on_post::helicopter:

5 Likes

I don’t know that you can be “considered.” I’ve received a long email by the federal gov as well as a nomination ID. Is this a “nomination?”
Thank you. I will change it ASAP

2 Likes

Agreed.

College likely won’t care either way.

The much bigger issue is that your parents are WAY too up in your business. You are going to college next year - it is time for them to start cutting the apron strings and let you handle your life and education. You are becoming an adult and they need to allow that to happen. Provide support and encouragement and guidance, sure. Take control of your college applications and communications, no way. I would very much encourage a heart to heart talk with them - you do not want this sort of interference to continue once you go to college.

1 Like