My parents send my US Presidential Scholarship nomination to several elite schools without my notice. Will this hurt my chance?

Right now, I’m still communicating with schools about money and housing. After my kid is admitted, we have negotiated scholarships and aid, and we’ve signed what is needed to be sure he has housing, then I’m out! Like you said, my role is going to be paying the bill. I hope to hear from him now and then. :smiley: (More than now and then, just kidding.)

2 Likes

a) not pretentious - listing (genuine) academic achievements/recognition, incl. those that come in after the original application, is precisely what colleges expect “you” to do.

b) if anything (not that I would count on it), it gave “you” a reason to be in touch with that college, which “you” probably wouldn’t have done if you weren’t truly interested… so MAYBE it might count as a sign of continued interest.

Basically - outrageous as far as your parents, but inconsequential at worst.

I think the bigger issue is your parents being overly involved! Other than sending money, I have no contact with my child’s university, nor did I interfere/get involved during the application process. I suggest you start setting boundaries NOW.

Your parents shouldn’t be communicating directly with any of the colleges on your behalf (unless you’re homeschooled and they’re acting as your school counselor, in which case there are times where this would make sense).

That being said, being selected as a candidate for the U.S. Presidential Scholar’s Program is relatively prestigious, as only ~5,000 high school students are selected for this yearly. As a point of comparison, 16,000 students are selected as National Merit Semifinalists, and 15,000 become Finalists (and this is definitely considered on college applications). So, relaying this info to colleges is not unreasonable or pretentious. However, you’re correct that your parents should not be taking this upon themselves.

I think you should go gently with your parents. You may need their help someday. My daughter needed me to be on her account last year to transfer some money to her college when she was on a program abroad and it wasn’t (couldn’t be) paid before she left - and she’s in grad school.

When you select a school help your parents set up the parental portal, then they won’t have to be in yours. That way they can make payments, find out information about the school, get tax documents, etc., and won’t have to use your account Help them to feel involved. They may be paying a fortune for your education. They want to be involved, but you can control this by helping them set up a portal.

2 Likes