My son wants to transfer to R1 school with GPA 3.4 in BME after 1st semester freshman year

Yes, most do. Here’s CWRU’s 2021-22 CDS, they accepted 40% of transfer applicants (240/602), so IMO, he should put it on his list as long as that school is appealing to him. https://case.edu/ir/sites/case.edu.ir/files/2022-05/CDS_2021-2022_CWRU.pdf

3 Likes

Thank you for the info.
I will definitely pass that info to my son! Thats great news
Again, how do you find info on last year % of acceptance

Transfer acceptance rate is in section D of the CDS. First year acceptance rate is in Section C. Note that if the CDS is 2021-22 (the most recent one for most schools right now) that is for students entering in Fall of 2021, so the data are lagging one year.

1 Like

Thank you All
Very useful information.
I will take more advice on colleges or like i mentioned hopefully some statistics (personal or friends, i guess you never know why some students get accepted and some dont).
Again, greatly appreciated for all replies.

There is a public university in NJ that is an LAC?

Ramapo College is in the COPLAC list, but does not have biomedical engineering.

The NJ public universities with biomedical engineering are NJIT, TCNJ, Rowan, and Rutgers.

Yes, I know that…the other ones you listed are not LACs.

But I will say… NJIT, TCNJ, Rowan, and Rutgers are all good places to get a BME…and if cost is a factor…they meet that too…right?

Good morning
Thank you for the reply. Yes, we are considering Rutgers, NJIT not so much as its locates in Newark ( not greatest area of NJ). Both colleges are R1 schools.
Thank you

That’s good. Both are great colleges.

Like others here, I too am curious to know which NJ public LAC your son is currently at. Would you mind sharing please?

TCNJ, great school. If anyone interested in computer science, nursing or teaching…my sons friends in teaching and computer schools of TCNJ…love it
My son is happy as well, professor are very reachable, campus is beautiful. As for me, i would love him to stay. But he is 18 years old, he is going to make his own decisions.
Thank you

Unless it’s not affordable…then I would think you parents would have a say. TCNJ is a great school…and as instate residents, lucky you!

So what is his issue? Prestige of the college name?

Prestige, maybe part( his dream school is Vanderbilt, but he got rejected as incoming freshman). Most is research. He got accepted as freshman at UR, and they have excellent research opportunities for undergraduate. I was fighting alot for him to deny the offer(finance)
He had chance to be part of research group at Vanderbilt University ( selected during senior year at high school, cancer vaccine. ). He absolutely loved it, his PhD Professor was great, trusted seniors enough to let them do do some data science. He was really hoping that being part of this group will help him to get accepted i Vanderbilt, but unfortunately his SAT scores were low for Vanderbilt. Oh, well.

Will that professor write a letter of recommendation for him?

And…have you checked the financial aid for transfer students at the places he is trying to transfer to? The common wisdom is the financial aid packages for transfer students is usually not as generous as the packages for incoming freshmen, but that may vary between colleges.

Oh, i am very well aware of that. But that was our compromise that he will take all general classes at state college (saves us lots of money, even just a year) and then transfer. Lets see maybe he will get accepted in Rutgers, its an R1 school, instate tuition ( not his 1st choice though)
Thank you for all support

1 Like

OP- research doesn’t get “offered”- your son needs to reach out to his professors, explain what he’s interested in doing, find out if they can pick up the phone and call former students, colleagues, etc. And the research doesn’t need to be BME for it to be helpful- Freshman don’t typically work on projects that are as exciting as seniors- mainly because they haven’t taken the relevant courses AND because their core, plain vanilla research skills aren’t as developed.

So the basic skills- programming in the relevant languages, understanding which statistical concepts need to be applied, lab safety (if he’ll be in a lab), reporting protocols (whether funded by the government or a commercial entity, every research grant has requirements around data collection, what materials need to be preserved, what the longitudinal analysis will require), etc. Your son will be a LOT more valuable in two years- but in the meantime, he can work with a chem professor, an applied math professor, a psych professor- anything which will enhance his skills.

Psych is great for a freshman because even at very small colleges, the psych professors are usually very well wired and have ongoing research needs. And NJ- chockablock with pharma companies-- is a great place to be!

If your son spent as much time taking initiative as it’s going to take to transfer- he will undoubtedly find some terrific research opportunities right where he is. But they won’t find him… he needs to go look.

2 Likes

Your son has been in college for 4-5 months and is unhappy he is not getting to do research? Did he expect to do volunteer work? Paid work study? Be an assistant to a professor? That’s just unrealistic at any school. Even if he were chosen to be on a team, he’d probably be doing paperwork (like copying or checking notes), not running experiments.

If he committed to getting his basic requirements done, he should do that. It is more likely a professor he has now would let him help with research if he’s going to be around for another semester or two. If he transfers now, he’s going to once again be the new student, so he’ll have to get to know a professor and work his way up to a job.

He should see if there are lab jobs available, or even a job in the office of the department he’s interested in working in - physics, bio, whatever. Then when one of the profs needs someone to do research, there he’ll be, available. Not all research projects are for a year or semester, or pay a lot. Sometimes help may only be needed for a few weeks and if your son is flexible, maybe he’ll be in the right place at the right time, and the short term job could morph into a summer job or project.

Thank you for your reply. I am 100% agree with you. If he transfers, he will be that new student, he will need to learn the campus around, professors, find new friends…and most importantly fight for research opportunities anyway.
As for volunteering hoyrs, my son puts alot of hours working at local squad.