National student leadership conference worth it?

<p>Today I got a letter in the mail from the national student leadership conference saying:
I am please to inform you that you are invited to attend the national leadership conference being held on the campuses of American university, Fordham university, Georgia tech, Harvard medical school, northwestern university, the universe of California Berkeley, the university of Washington, and Yale university. I was kinda excited, I admit then I realized that it wasn't free (silly me) and it's like two thousand dollars. And I was like wtf my family can't afford that so I want to know if it's worth it to anyone on here that's been invited to it. I'm going to talk to my counselor on Monday about it. I just want to know like is it worth the price? Does it help in the college admission process?</p>

<p>Use the search function and you will find many comments on the program. If your parent’s have the disposable income, or you can get FA to go for free, you will probably enjoy the experience. Please be aware though that it is a paid experience like thousands of others, and that thousands(and thousands) of other students got that letter. The letter is an effective marketing tool that makes many students and their parents feel “special” enough to dole out the money. The program is not “special” nor are students that receive the invite-anyone that can come up with the 2k is welcome to attend. </p>

<p>D gets those letters every year. This is just marketing materials.</p>

<p>I sent my kid to NSLC. Its a good program. I don’t think its a necessary program in order to gain an edge or advantage but it exposes you to some stuff that maybe you haven’t been already. Some of the hardest things about choosing a path when you’re young is that there is so much that young people don’t know.</p>

<p>If you have the money, you’ll benefit from the program. If you don’t, don’t kill yourselves trying to go.</p>

<p>Those summer programs/leadership conferences are meaningless to college admissions officers. You had to pay money to attend those programs, and you could really be using your time more productively. Everybody receives these so-called coveted letters to special programs; they’re just marketing materials as someone mentioned above. They don’t teach you anything too important, and they don’t give you an edge in the admissions process.</p>

<p>Admissions officers really love it when you have minimum-wage jobs, like at McDonald’s or the movie theater (where I am employed). It demonstrates responsibility and hard work. Maybe you could start up a business venture or something. College admissions officers are looking for people who are driven and like to initiate.</p>

<p>If you get the chance, you should go on <a href=“http://www.theivycoach.com”>www.theivycoach.com</a>, where you can find invaluable information on the college admissions process.</p>

<p>I would debate the value of these programs and say that some are worthless shams but that their are a few good ones and a few great ones.</p>

<p>NSLC I think is a good one. </p>

<p>Then again, I know a lot of people whose kids have so little knowledge of what college is like or working hard in teams or how well they can compete in an academically tough and unstructured environment that programs like this are enlightening. Some parents use it for babysitting. So be it, a minimum wage job can only teach so much before it gets repetitive and mundane. An enriching experience is enriching and always beneficial. And a program that is enriching to one may not be to another.</p>

<p>I call it getting your vision stretched.</p>