Nationality question?

<p>My child (rising jr) was born while we were living & working in Latin America. He has 2 passports- US and Mexico. For scholarship & admission purposes, can he be considered hispanic (by origin?) Do they consider only ethnicity or does origin / citizenship matter?!</p>

<p>For college admissions, you are required to state: citizenship status, non-US citizenship, years lived in the US & birthplace. It is optional to designate ethnicity (Hispanic, yes or no) and/or race.</p>

<p>Please see the sticky thread at the top of this forum about the definition of Hispanic as used by college admissions, it concurs with what is used by the US Census.</p>

<p>For scholarships, each has it’s own definition of what is considered Hispanic. For instance, NHRP accepts students who are as little as 1/4 Hispanic.</p>

<p>For your situation, from my POV, IF:</p>

<ol>
<li>Neither parent is Hispanic.
and</li>
<li>Your son was born in Mexico, but did not spend a substantial amount of time there, then:</li>
</ol>

<p>He would likely not consider himself Hispanic and therefore would not be considered Hispanic for college admissions and scholarships.</p>

<p>Note: as you will see from the sticky thread I cited, people are recognized as Hispanic if they say that they identify themselves as Hispanic. There is no ‘proof’ of Hispanic identity that is required by either the US Census or college admissions (there may be for scholarships). So this really is a matter of honesty and everyone must consider their own background and how they view their ethnicity.</p>

<p>I understand why you’re asking, as yours is a pretty unique situation.</p>