Need a rec for a good laptop

<p>I would like to steer my son toward a Mac. He is undecided on his major. I know engineering students can’t run most of their software on a Mac, but my kid will not be an engineer. </p>

<p>Are there any good reasons why I should NOT put him with a Mac at UA? Obviously, they are more expensive, so that is one good reason. But I really don’t know which way to go on this. He doesn’t really care, but I think he wants to use what most everybody else is using. Help appreciated.</p>

<p>My math son has a MacBook Pro and loves it. Since he did need to run some Windows stuff, we had his hard-drive split to accomodate MatLab and a few other techie things.</p>

<p>Since your son won’t have that issue, a Mac would be fine.</p>

<p>My younger son has a Dell and that’s fine, too.</p>

<p>Although my husband initially was against it because he was a pc guy, we bought our D a mac book pro. She loves it and it has worked well for her. Husband has since come over to “the dark side” as he refers to it. We’ve basically replaced our main family computer with an Apple and have added iPads and iPhones. Should your son’s mac ever need repairs or if he needs technical assistance, the guys at the Apple Store within the Supe Store are very knowledgeable and helpful. We were able to use them for service under our Apple Care.</p>

<p>MemphisGuy posted this advice in another thread:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>In addition to the very good recommendations posted above, I would suggest a back lit keyboard if it all possible. Also, if it’s going to be toted to class you also want to be mindful of the machine weight.</p>

<p>Slippy - Malani is correct I did post that earlier but just to add context, it was in reference to an Engineering machine so probably a bit more power than a non-engineer would need.</p>

<p>For what you are asking PC or Mac would probably work well. Mac gives the integrations mentioned above and some of the “design” software is better on the mac’s (graphics, music, etc.).</p>

<p>If you aren’t really worried about either of those I am not sure why you would be leaning to the mac considering the price difference. Remember with a student there is a greater possibility of the system having a “hard life” in comparison to a home machine or a professional. So maybe you save a few dollars now and invest those in a higher priced machine closer to graduation.</p>

<p>Either way make sure that you have the device insured for damage protection as well as theft. Hopefully you will never have a problem but in a school environment you never know what will happen.</p>

<p>I’m interested in the answer to the OP’s question as well…but have been told as a business major my son should go “non-MAC”</p>

<p>I don’t think there is a “right” answer – everyone has a different opinion. </p>

<p>Personally I like a PC for heavy lifting (can be a laptop or desktop) – </p>

<p>min specs I would want: I5 proc, Windows7/8 w/64 bit, 4 or more M of memory, decent graphics card, CD/DVD reader/burner, 15 or better screen for laptop, 17 or better for desktop, decent hard drive - but not overkill, get a external USB hard drive and back up at least weekly…</p>

<p>In addition, I recommend some kind of tablet – I’m going with the ASUS Transformer Prime (rated better than IPAD 2, but IPAD 3 has better graphics)…</p>

<p>IPAD will be fine with a PC – and can exchange info w/proper apps</p>

<p>If I went Apple I would look at Apple Store and at refurbished units – have always gone IPOD that way.</p>

<p>I usually go Dell, but Lenovo has some ruggedized “student friendly” laptops (we buy them for the soilders in the field)…</p>

<p>RTR!!</p>