Need Advice

hey! ivies did not end up working out for me! :))

i’ll be heading to uoft this fall! <3

2 Likes

Assuming it’s U of Toronto, that’s an AWESOME result too!!! Congratulations!

1 Like

yes it is! thanks mate <33

good luck to you for everything!

1 Like

Heyy.
Sorry for the late reply, but yeah I’ve been waitlisted at NYU,UCSD,Emory&Oxford,Virginia Tech, UVA and UNC chapel hill.
Ughh…

1 Like

It’s actually only for two years and not that big an amount, but I can pay the difference so yeah I’m sending them all letters.

But more importantly, I need some info. I took all of your advice and applied to some universities in UK.
I kinda got accepted really fast to University of Leicester and Cardiff University. They are both offering huge scholarships,even though I do not need it and have put me in their honors classes.
IDK much about the UK and not much about these universities either. Can anyone tell me if they are good? like academically rigorous and stuff?
Also, between these two universities and ASU, which one should I choose? Assuming, of course I don’t get in any of my waitlisted colleges?

What “courses” did you apply for at Leicester and Cardiff?
Without that information, I’d say that, among those two, I’d pick Cardiff. Leicester is a struggling city, whereas Cardiff as the capital of Wales is doing okay and has tons of things to do.
Cardiff is Russell group, to boot.
I’d still pick ASU Barrett though. :slight_smile: Better weather, better general experience, more flexibility.

I’d ask:

• how certain are you of what you want to study? You will have less flexibility at a UK uni than a US college
  • I don’t know which of ASU vs Cardiff/Leicester would have better name recognition in India, but that’s something to consider for job prospects once you finish and return home.

Same…Neuroscience as a sandwich student. I was also kinda partial to Cardiff. But is ASU really better than it? Could you please elaborate on the better general experience??
And the flexibility part? I know lesser about UK Universities than the US ones, so I would really love any advice on them.

I’m pretty sure I wanna study Neuroscience so that may not be a problem.
And the returning home part, I’m gonna finish my graduate studies abroad too so I could always transfer to wherever for my masters.
I basically just want to know about Cardiff’s rep and stuff. If it’s prestigious, academically rigorous etc. Right now, all I know is the weather is terrible :sweat_smile: and the internet is super divided

Flexibility:
In the UK, you take courses toward a degree in neuroscience, period.
If you change your mind you have to start over from scratch. You cannot choose courses, your first 2 years are pretty much set for you - typically 6 to 8 courses you can read about on your “course” (major) website.
In the US you have a lot of flexibility. Pre reqs are mandatory (ie., half your first year classes) but you can choose from 50 different classes for your gen eds (classes outside your major to make you a better writer and ensure you’re an educated, well rounded citizen) and 30% classes are entirely chosen by yourself based on your interests.
Cardiff is Russell group (look it up) but not top of the Russell group, probably top 20% in the UK for natural science. You’d live in town and walk/bije to campus for your classes. It’d be very different from ASU where you’d live on campus with fellow Barrett students.

1 Like