NESCAC Athletic Offer

Are pre read decisions emailed, mailed or given over the phone? Is bad news sent via mail? DC plays football.

For my son the results were conveyed in coach phone calls.

6 Likes

Same with my son - phone calls to discuss pre-read results and next steps.

4 Likes

All coaches called my daughter with pre read results. Many schools also sent results either by email or a mailed letter.

2 Likes

For our son (football as well) it was phone calls from coaches as well.

2 Likes

Phone call with invite for OV. For NESCAC purposes, an OV does not include travel to the school, but includes transportation to and from the airport, if applicable, lodging with a team member and meals on campus. Also usually involved 1 on 1 time with the coach and meeting the team.

3 Likes

Our pre-read result (dd was only interested in one NESCAC school) came over the phone with a “verbal offer” for a spot on the team. We were given a timeframe in which the coach needed an answer and what the steps afterward entailed. This was during Covid so no OV.

2 Likes

Thank you for the responses! Follow up questions. What about when the athlete does not get approved? Do they make a call then? I know every time is different but the information is still helpful!

[quote=“RabbitH, post:108, topic:3534449”]
Follow up questions. What about when the athlete does not get approved? Do they make a call then?
[/quote].

In our experience with selective D3s including NESCAC and others, for 1) passed pre-reads, 2) not passed, and 3) passed pre-reads with conditions (e.g., admissions wanted specific AP courses taken senior year), calls with the head coach conveyed results in all cases.

3 Likes

Also in our experience, when a coach wanted to hedge his bets (guessing an offer was made to another athlete, but if that athlete turned the offer down the coach wanted my son available) he said the admissions office was taking longer with the preread.

This was during covid and the coach hadn’t seen my son play. We never found out what would happen because before the coach came back my son accepted another offer at a school he preferred.

3 Likes

Thank you for the info! If you don’t mind sharing, if the school your son ultimately choose was a NSCAC, did were you required to apply ED?

1 Like

Hello, yes it is a NESCAC school, and he handled all of the communication but I think it was communicated that he passed the pre read and that the coach would offer him support (full support…?) if he applied ED1. This was a school that he would have been interested in even without football and it has been a great match for him both academically and in terms of football.

Please feel free to PM if you have any specific questions about the NESCAC schools as he was in contact with a good number of the schools and has teammates and knows people who have played at or attended most of the NESCAC schools.

2 Likes

What is included in the pre-read results? Is it as simple as Yes, No, Maybe?
Or do they go into detail?

1 Like

It is typically yes or no, and in the case of the former, often guidance on whether to include or omit test scores.

5 Likes

In our experience, the pre-read is the easy part (unless you child is really stretching academically) and it is when the coach is deciding on who to offer a spot to and who to pass is when the entire process becomes more stressful vs the pre-read decision. Not a NESCAC school - one coach suggested to our daughter to add one more comp sci course her senior year - this came after the pre-read was passed to make her even more competitive for admissions and getting a jump start for their college courses.

4 Likes

Our experience was the vast majority were congratulatory that my daughter was a likely admit and then listed likely merit award amount. One did not have any merit award listed and one coach mentioned that although my daughter submitted test scores for the pre read that she would apply test optional unless she hit a specific score with her summer retake.

In all cases coaches let my daughter know that the results were positive and spoke to her in the phone the day the results were released. Two were mailed letters, the rest were emails

3 Likes

Similar story for us: one admissions pre-read at a very selective Centennial Conference school came back with a strong recommendation to take AP Physics in place of AP Envi Sci.

4 Likes

I should clarify, she passed the preread and it was suggested to make freshman year a little less intense with school
and sport to take another comp sci. She ultimately eliminated the school and quit pursuing letting the coach know too - no clue if she would have been offered an OV (Zoom due to Covid) or even a spot.

2 Likes

It was during this process that we learned little tidbits about what different schools like to see more of. About 1/2 the schools shared a little something.

2 Likes

NESCACS (except for Conn and Trinity) do not offer merit, so that would not apply here.