NESCAC Schools

Congratulations-it’s a beautiful campus and a great school!

1 Like

And I forgot to add-such a relief when all the recruiting/admissions stress is over! Time to sit back, take a breath and celebrate-all of you!

Oh my gosh, yes! The relief is unbelievable. So proud of our D and so happy for her and ourselves! In all seriousness, I cannot believe how much I learned here; we would not have successfully navigated the process without the knowledge we gained here.

3 Likes

Happy for all of you! Congratulations! :partying_face:

2 Likes

Congrats crosbylane! I’ve been lurking for months and your posts and questions have been a huge help to us. We have been on pins and needles as well, especially after some supported athletes supposedly were not admitted last year. Our daughter got accepted to Wesleyan last weekend, where she was recruited for soccer as well. Relief is right!

5 Likes

Wonderful! I’m so happy to hear that! Congrats to your daughter and congrats to us! :smiley:

1 Like

Congratulations!

There is a humorous next stage. The non-athlete non-early admit students and parents will be jealous of how “easy” it was for you and your D, particularly as students scramble to finish (if they have even started) regular decision applications. They have no clue how much earlier your D had to start the process, how difficult the process was and the stress that came along the way.

13 Likes

They are especially not aware of how many implicit rejections most student athletes get along the way during the recruiting process–well before an application is submitted. People just see one official application and one early acceptance and think athletes get 100% acceptance rates. Strictly speaking, its close to true, but comparing acceptance rates with the general population is comparing apples to oranges.

11 Likes

Couldn’t agree more! An incredibly long and arduous journey that involved many ACT re-takes, maintaining a 4.0 with a rigorous load, so much travel, rejections, missed social opportunities, stress, etc., all while playing your sport year-round at a high level. It was a loooooong, hard road with lots of research and learning along the way. These kids aren’t “handed” anything- they earned it!

7 Likes

Yep, I remember something that I was told when I mentioned my son getting into his Ivy through the “backdoor.” It was pointed out that having his intelligence, academic record, and physical skill set was a heck of a lot more rare than the ability to get a 4.0 and 1600 or 36.

Congrats to your daughter. I remember the night we got that acceptance, even though the coach told him it was a “don’t stab anyone and you are in” type of an offer, I still slept a lot better than night than I had for the week leading up to the “official from the school in writing” confirmation that he was in!

Enjoy the rest of her senior year! It’s a lot more fun for everyone now that you both know it’s official!

3 Likes

Recruits beware! S had offers from Colby and Hamilton and chose to commit to Colby for ED2 admission. He was deferred - shocking everyone involved. Top band, positive pre-read and full coach support. Colby over admitted in first ED round so decided to ignore coaches support for 4 football commits. Have a back up plan! We didn’t so are now scrambling.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear this news. I hope your S gets in Colby RD or finds another place to play. Something will work out, good luck.

I’m confused - he committed to Colby for his sport but didn’t apply ED1? Or he was deferred from ED1 to ED2?

Sorry about the outcome.

athletes (at least for football where they recruit many to field a team) often receive offers after ed1 deadline, so apply ed2. some div 3 schools hold out on several offers until they see how things shake out with potential recruits who may or may not end up going ivy or patriot league. Also, some football recruits may have amazing senior seasons that a win over coaches, and that info comes after ED1 deadline.

1 Like

Gotcha. Didn’t realize it was different for football.

1 Like

Not limited to football. Plenty of other recruits apply ED2 and even RD.

1 Like

From my experience as a team recruiting coordinator and dealing with the NESCAC schools over the past few years ED1 was always what our recruits were instructed by the college coaches. Could just be our specific sport though.

I agree if the recruit is identified prior to the ED 1 deadline, then the quid is often an ED 1 app. My point was recruits aren’t always identified in time for ED 1, so they apply ED2 or RD (or EA if that’s an option). Some sports just recruit later too.

1 Like

Agree. And most coaches would probably like to have their Top recruits committed by ED1 though that does not always happen.
Also, in general I think because football has more slots than most other sports, and the positions factor in the recruiting, there are probably a few more moving parts that fall in and out of place on the recruiting board as the HS fall season progresses, or a recruit commits and get accepted, or rejected, to other schools.

2 Likes

Oh my gosh, how incredibly stressful and disappointing for you and your son! What are his thoughts about next steps/back up plan? Has he spoken with the coach?