New England/NY LAC for middle-class, non-athlete son? [3.9 GPA]

Susquehanna University in Selinsgrove, PA.

In the financial aid section of a college’s description on College Navigator (feds’ website based on IPEDS data), it will indicate what percentage of students receive a Pell grant (or other federal grants) which might give you an idea of the kind of socioeconomic diversity a campus might have.

Of the schools already on your list to explore:

• Clark: 19%
  • Muhlenberg: 21%
  • Ursinus: 18%
  • Wheaton: 20%

For some of the schools that have been mentioned, these are the Pell percentages. I bolded the ones that were at least 18% (the lowest from your list of Ursinus). I also added Brandeis & College of the Holy Cross to the list:

• American: 10%
  • Bates: 9%
  • Brandeis: 14%
  • Brown: 14%
  • College of the Atlantic: 29%
  • College of the Holy Cross: 16%
  • Connecticut College: 15%
  • Dickinson: 12%
  • Fordham: 23%
  • Goucher: 27%
  • Hamilton: 22%
  • Skidmore: 12%
  • Sarah Lawrence: 10%
  • Susquehanna: 23%
  • Tufts: 12%
  • Vassar: 19%
  • Wesleyan: 13%
  • William & Mary: 12%
  • Williams: 14%

Looking at the percentages for any other schools you choose to explore might help give you a sense of how your son might feel about the financial dynamics with the student body.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone—these are great suggestions & I appreciate your help.

5 Likes

We threw a few of those in because we thought they were less reachy due to geographic diversity. I knew in the end my D would have preferred to compromise on location vs other factors. She did not have to but it was an option hard to pass up since she received significant merit awards at the Midwest schools.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.