New Housing Letter send today

<p>Whew!
You guys were busy over the holidays!</p>

<p>This is going to be another LONG post, but hopefully I will answer the questions that we missed over the break.</p>

<p>Beth’s mom: Yes, upperclassmen can pull in roommates, as long as they too have received on-campus housing for the next academic year.</p>

<p>Returner Room Selection will take place in late Feb.- early March. We’ll post this schedule closer to that time. But first, students have the opportunity to “stay put” and pick the same place they currently live in. Then, they will have the opportunity to pull roommates into the space as well. Then, the students will have the opportunity to select a space within the same community, but in a different room. </p>

<p>Kjcphmom: If your student would like to participate in the Honors community again next year, then yes, he will move to Ridgecrest. This will happen just a few days after current Ridgecrest residents have chosen to stay put, and more than half the current Ridgecrest residents won’t have that option because they will be non-Honors and selecting space in another building as well. So, essentially students who are continuing to live in the Honors community, but having to move from either Lakeside or Riverside, will still see plenty of space available in Ridgecrest.</p>

<p>Your son can choose to stay in his current space, however it will not be designated as Honors community. And yes, he can pull in other students into Ridgecrest, as long as they are also Honors students.</p>

<p>Chardo: Your student will be designated as a “rising second-year student,” not a junior. We take into account the student’s time on campus, not hours completed.</p>

<p>Slornow: As long as your student applies for Recontracting before or on February 1, and as long as he is still in good standing for his scholarship, then he will be able to live on campus next year. We will be communicating about those options for returning students as quickly as we can get the information out to students and parents.</p>

<p>Robotbldmom: You were correct in your response to Dad2ILD. When we entered into the contract with East Edge last year, we knew it was a one-year agreement, and we let students know that if they chose to move to EE, they may need to choose a different option the next year. Students who left the Honors community to move to EE will be allowed back into the Honors community if they so choose.</p>

<p>SEA_Tide: The 1831 Foundation is a foundation created to fund only one of the construction projects over the last decade or so. Our other residence halls have been funded by the sale of bonds, and we have to service that debt.</p>

<p>*****I know there are A LOT of questions about East Edge, but we’re still waiting for word, and we will communicate about that option as soon as possible so that students can make plans with all the information.</p>

<p>I hope this helps!
Janine Gascoigne</p>

<p>D just received an email stating the East Edge will NOT be an option for UA housing for the fall 2013.</p>

<p>A question for housing.</p>

<p>Since Riverside will not be Honors next year, if son and his two suitemates want to return to their same rooms, can they bring in a fourth into their suite, whether he’s honors or not?</p>

<p>Also, if the Riverside boys want to stay in Riverside, but move into another room in Riverside, can they do that? Son’s friends were moved to the other side of the floor because the RA took over their suite, and the boys will likely want to be neighbors again, if possible. They also want to stay in Riverside, as they will be fourth year engineering majors and want to stay in the same building for their fourth year as they’ve lived these past three years.</p>

<p>Thanks for any help!</p>

<p>Thank you for that post, Montegut. Son is in a similar situation. He would like to stay in Riverside, even though it will become non-honors, and avail of his NMF housing scholarship. Is it safe to assume that those with housing scholarships can opt to live in non-honors dorms as well? </p>

<p>I suspect that for rising honors seniors who like their current living arrangement in what will become a non-honors building next year, that designation will not be compelling enough to warrant a move to the honors Ridgecrests.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the info Janine. Another question: my D will be off campus in the Spring but will return in the fall (she has a housing scholarship.) She’ll opt in when she gets the email, but if she’s understanding the process correctly, she won’t be able to select a room at all during the process because she’s vacating her room, but Housing will randomly place her in a spot. Is that right?</p>

<p>Montegut and sophocldes, Housing answered this question by answering that my son could stay at Riverside (with his housing scholarship) even if its not honors. For engineering seniors, I would probably tell them to stay if they love their location. My son is a honors freshman and for him, if he stays in Riverside (which he would love) with his current roommates, I think he will have a hard time finding upper classman with housing scholarships to room with in the future who are NOT in honors housing. Once you no longer live in honors housing, you can no longer go back and I don’t know if as a junior/senior he would be thrilled to live in non-honors with freshman. He is lucky he is guaranteed housing if he meets the requirements, but the new designated honor dorms will also have him making choices for now and his future.</p>

<p>RobD, I’m not sure what you mean by your daughter will be off-campus in the spring, but it sounds like a co-op or study abroad. If that is the case, please have your student read this page of our website: [Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/on_campus/study_abroad.cfm]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/on_campus/study_abroad.cfm)</p>

<p>It will detail all the steps. Because Co-ops and Study Abroad are not a typical situation, this information will be critical to helping her navigate the process. If she has any questions, she can always call our main office at 205-348-6676 and ask to speak with one of the Assignments Coordinators.</p>

<p>^^^Exactly! Thanks :)</p>