On campus housing for Sophomores

<p>Seems like their isn’t much housing options for students pass freshman year. What dorms do you recommend and why you recommend it? And I kind of need something on the cheap side. Thank you.</p>

<p>There should be some on-campus housing for a sophomore, but what does help is the number of credits that one has. Selection of housing is based on credits earned, including AP/IB/dual enrollment. The more credits you have, the earlier you select. The earlier you select, the more options you will have. As for selecting, spend some time on the UA housing site to see what the many options are. That way, if you are familiar with each dorm and its price, you can make an informed decision. The newer dorms, such as Lakeside East and West, Ridgecrest East, West and South and Riverside, will cost you some additional coin.</p>

<p>Are you a returning student? Or are you transferring in?</p>

<p>Returning.</p>

<p>FYI,
I had a conversation with housing last week. I was informed that housing costs for campus housing will go up. The final costs have not been set but was told to estimate a 5% increase.</p>

<p>Did you recontract? If not, I think the deadline is today or tomorrow.</p>

<p>What dorm are you in now? </p>

<p>Why do you think you have limited choices?</p>

<p>Well remember there are only around 7,500 beds (with about 5,000 of those needed for freshman required to live on-campus) with a student body of 30,000. The vast majority of upperclassmen live off campus. And, unless you’re living somewhere like the Retreat or the Woodlands, it is cheaper (sometimes much cheaper) to live off-campus.</p>

<p>Did you recontract? Yes, awhile back ago</p>

<p>What dorm are you in now? Somerville</p>

<p>Why do you think you have limited choices? Most of the dorms are freshman-only, LLC or with those Ridgecreast, Riverside, and Lakeside which can’t choose if you didn’t live their you freshman year. And the fact that freshmen gets priority for dorm rooms.</p>

<p>I have been suggested living off-campus before, but my mother is against the idea.</p>

<p>What about Burke?</p>

<p>Hackberry Commons is reserved for upperclassmen. There’s also Bryce Lawn Apartments.</p>

<p>Just asking for clarification.</p>

<p>If your child is a freshman and lives in Riverside, they can only return to Riverside next year, and same with the other dorms, or if you’re in Riverside, you can transfer to Lakeside or Ridgecrest?</p>

<p>We’re staying in Riverside, as well as most of the floor, but I remember last year, many kids did switch from one supersuite to the other.</p>

<p>This is what is posted on the Housing website…</p>

<p>“The residence halls for which you will be eligible next year are determined in part by your gender, college, and where you live now. In order to select Honors Housing when you recontract, you must be living in Honors Housing at the time of room selection in February. Additionally, because of space that must be maintained for incoming freshmen, only current residents of Bryant, Ridgecrest South, Ridgecrest East and West, Lakeside and Riverside will be able to select those residence halls during room selection. As a freshman living-learning community, Harris Hall residents cannot return to that building next year. Because of future growth plans, New, Parker-Adams, Highlands A and Byrd Hall will be demolished in summer 2011. Please check with HRC to help you determine exactly where you can live next year, before your submit your contract and deposit.”</p>

<p>* Because of future growth plans, New, Parker-Adams, Highlands A and Byrd Hall will be demolished in summer 2011. *</p>

<p>I don’t know how many beds are in those buildings. I know that Bama wants to use lease less of The Bluff, but they may need to use those apts to accomodate students who now can’t be in the buildings that are being demolished. I realize that Bama leased too much of The Bluff this year, and some apts were either empty or half-empty.</p>

<p>I wonder what is going to be built on top of those areas?</p>

<p>I think Highlands A may either be the site of the future honors rec center or maybe new housing.</p>

<p>And Rose is being converted to all-freshman next year.</p>

<p>Help-- Kari didn’t get on campus housing for sophomore year. Can she petition or anything? I was hoping out of state students would get on campus housing for soph year because they are out of state. (Not sure we would have enrolled Kari at Bama had we known she would get housing for just the first year)</p>

<p>wow! Can’t believe my son got waitlisted…I guess it is better then a flat out rejection, but I really didn’t know that this was an issue until a few weeks ago. Everyone on this forum had students who had lived on campus for several years. BIG BUMMER! Luckily my son has been looking for housing for a while and has a few leads but what do we do about summer? We are in CA and I don’t think spending the summer in Alabama was in his plans. ANy advise?</p>

<p>This is concerning. From everything I’ve read on here until this, it sounded like kids who met all the deadlines were getting on-campus housing after freshman year if they wanted it. Has there been some change in policy, or is this the natural result of growth and larger freshman classes? Not that D would necessarily live on-campus after freshman year, but schools where it’s not an option definitely get a checkmark in the negative column.</p>

<p>m2ck, the space clearing up from the razing of New, Parker-Adams, and Byrd Halls will be used for the construction of new houses for sororities. This is the first I’m hearing about Highlands A. That area being used for the new satellite rec center makes sense, though.</p>

<p>mom of four, how were you notified that your daughter did not get on campus housing for sophomore year? </p>

<p>I’m confused because I thought step #2 recontracting isn’t until 8am on Feb. 3? </p>

<p>Son is also from out of state and unless I’m missing some correspondence, we didn’t get any indication that no sophomore housing is available for him next year?</p>

<p>We got an email today saying whether we could continue with the recontracting process or if not, you would be put on a waitlist. Those who can continue can go on tomorrow starting at 8:00 am to fill out the contract and pay the deposit. The deadline for deposits is Feb. 9, at which time I assume, others may be taken off the waitlist…but I am not sure. The deadline for recontracting was last night at midnight. You should have received something in his mybama email this afternoon.</p>