New IB World School

<p>Hi so the local hs just was approved to be an IB World School. It's set to begin IB courses this September for 11 &12 graders. The current AP program will be scaled down immediately and hs won't offer AP US or AP Eng this year for 11 graders in favor of IB classes. There will be 11 ENG & 11 US offered plus IB. Was told all IB classes will be weighted 1.10 like the AP classes, both SL & HL. Administrators seem to toss class rank into discussion when trying to get kids on board the IB Diploma route. If given the choice would you try for the diploma at a newly appointed school? No new teachers were hired with past IB expience, so it's a new curicullum for everyone. Will this school be held to the same standards as other schools that have been teaching IB for years? How successful do you think the students will be? If our teachers believe the kids work is superior but then it's externally moderated will the grade change on the students report card? Does anyone dabble in IB and AP and not go for the diploma? My thought is to keep IB off transcript if not attempting the diploma. Im concerned the added IB weight will artifically inflate some students work based on grades that are not inline with IB standards. Basically are all newly approved IB schools not assessed as harshly or do they show failure? Sorry I have so many questions and hope someone has some experience or thoughts.</p>

<p>My school kind of just started IB two or three years ago, so i feel for you. I would advise you to stay in AP and maybe self teach yourself for any other exams. Because the curriculum is completely new and the teachers are learning at almost the same time as the student, you wouldn’t receive the full IB standards. Anyway the rankings really do suck for AP, my school for IB will be able to get up to a 5.0 weighted (an extra 15 points). But consider the unweighted GPA which really counts more I believe. So ultimately it’s up to you to decide.</p>

<p>If I was in your position, I would do a little IB and a little AP… see what you like better. I did the full diploma and am happy I did, but I don’t know if I would have taken that risk had the teachers not been experienced. That said, though, I’m sure you would do fine anyways. Your class grade isn’t moderated by any external IB moderators or anything; only the exams and the major assessments that go into your final score are moderated/graded by actual IB people. If you’re worried that your teachers won’t be able to prepare you for the final exams, you can always look online for help. There are several IB forums that I would go to for advice. Really, it’s your choice, but I believe AP is a joke compared to the effect that IB can have on your life.</p>

<p>This happened at my school. The teachers will have no clue what they’re doing because they’re learning the program alongside you. The IB is also known for saying that most new IB schools will not have students get the full IB diploma for about 5 years, and this is pretty much true based off of my IB sister schools. </p>

<p>Stick with AP. You can do well in IB and get into a good college with it but the exam scores might shock you :/</p>

<p>Hi! My name is Marlee, and I’m a senior in my school’s IB Diploma Programme. I’ve so far really enjoyed my experience and I feel like I can be successful. I’ve already taken one of my exams. Despite some moments of stress and complications from new or unqualified teachers I really love the program. Let me know if you have any other questions about my experiences!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I would be concerned about being prepared for the exams, definitely. I’m a senior in the program and I am really glad I decided to go for diploma, but it will take much extra research on your part to stay on track most likely.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The exams and all other types of assessments are not graded by your student’s teachers but by IB graders from around the world. They will not go easy just because it is a new school to IB.</p>

<p>

[quote]
How successful do you think the students will be?

[quote]
</p>

<p>Honestly, I feel that knowing your subject is just as important as knowing the test for a teacher. For example, we have a new French teacher at my school this year. I think I will learn a lot of the language but possibly not a lot about how to apply it to the specific style of assessments that IB gives.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Teachers give report card grades, external graders give your IB marks (very similar to how AP courses work)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yes, you can just take individual courses in AP and/or IB. We call them IB certificate kids because they are trying to get individual certificates as opposed to the whole diploma.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’m not sure what your concern is here. I understand the concern that IB courses will not be that rigorous from the start since teachers are not familiar with the curriculum and expectations. But I’m not sure that should affect your decisions for your/your child’s classes.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Assessment scales are universal. There will probably be an adjustment period.</p>