New Parent Vent

<p>As we get closer to early move-in, I am becoming psycho mom.</p>

<p>I am freaking about the littlest things. Am I a normal stressed Mom sending the first one off? Or should I really be looking to the doctor because I’ve crossed the the line on stress level.</p>

<p>Example:
DS had to juggle his schedule quite a bit to fit Emerging Scholars and STEM_MBA. After multiple e-mails, overrides, etc. he worked it all out. All good. He has 3 classes in a row, but they were all to be next door to each other, no problem. Well, the locations have just changed and now they are in all different buildings! He is not freaking out, but I am.</p>

<p>Is there a name for what I am going thru? I know the kids Foul the Nest. Do parents go into super helicopter mode so that the kids can’t wait to get away? </p>

<p>Please tell me once he is moved in and settled I’ll revert back to a normal parent.</p>

<p>Define “Normal Parent”…lol</p>

<p>Normal - I was thinking of 2012Mom and Bedazzling and condom buying by the crate…Is there a different type of normal?</p>

<p>Other than tempted to add GPS to both the phone and car as well as sewing in mini GPS micro chips into all garments of clothing… I have no clue what “normal” is :(</p>

<p>CONDOM BUYING!?!?!?!?!? YIKES! Whom should I tell my D to steer clear of?</p>

<p>I have resorted to taking two Tylenol PMs every night so I can STOP the constant list-making and premature mourning that ramps up when I lie down.</p>

<p>You sound normal to me.</p>

<p>Those are normal things. Dont forget being fiercely protective, getting involved when the help isnt wanted even though you know it is, making 4 thousand suggestions to your DS/DD and having them ignored. There are hundreds more. My wife often uses a phrase that is so appropriate in our parenting, she says “they’ll thank us when they’re 25”. My wife recently has been having a hard time sleeping with a little separation anxiety and he’s hasn’t even left yet. I just keep reminding her how great this is for our son, how well organized UA is, what a top university it is, etc. Much of her anguish was relieved when she went to BamaBound with our DS this past May. She met other neurotic (normal) parents who shared her concerns and they comforted each other with their different great experiences in dealing with UA. Its all gonna be great, just keep being the parents that we are because believe me despite their whines/complaints about our involvement they really do appreciate it particularly in the stressful times.</p>

<p>What’s that whooshing sound in the distance?
Helicopter parents. </p>

<p>Haha, my parents have promised to drive me to UA. Other than that, I’m on my own.</p>

<p>I will tell you all this, we moved D in for the first time on July 1 at 8:00am. We left town at 3:30pm and drove to Gulfport for a few days of rest. I passed OUT that night!!! So far it has been much easier than anticipated, on me. Now, D2 is missing her big sis, a LOT. However, she is being picky about when she wants D1 to come home. She has stated that big sis can NOT come home during high school homecoming. That it is now all about her and not big sis coming into town to draw away any special attention. </p>

<p>I am sure when we put her on a plane Aug 8th that it is going to be a bit harder then.</p>

<p>Our move-in is on the 9th and we are leaving on the 12th. We figure that we’ll need the 9th to set up and the 10th to square away any needs that DS may have or forgotten. The only direct flight home is a 7am flight so leaving on the 10th is out. Alabama Action starts the evening of the 11th. My wife wants to wait until after DS has his first meet with AA before we leave just in case there is something he may need. Do we really need to stay until the 12th? No. But if staying one more day makes my DW happy then so be it. Plus side is I get to go to Dreamland or Nick and Joe’s one more time before parent weekend.</p>

<p>Longhaul, think of the much needed exercise he will get in between classes that will clear his mind. I think you’ve been in planning mode for so long, and the light is now at the end of the tunnel - for the big stuff, anyway … it will be a transition ‘back’ to the ‘new normal.’ </p>

<p>You are a wonderful mother and think of all the brand new freshman running around who wont know what they are doing. It’s obvious your kid is more prepared than most. </p>

<p>Breathe deep - supporting you.</p>

<p>now they are in all different buildings! He is not freaking out, but I am.</p>

<p>:) </p>

<p>Calm down…he’s going to be walking with his teenaged bones and muscles…not our arthritic knees and ankles.</p>

<p>Anyone who thinks I am the definition of a normal parent has <em>completely</em> lost it!</p>

<p>TxNCM, there are no condoms available on campus. None. Not even at the student health center. As far as condoms go, UA is a “dry town”. Far better to send your D with a “just-in-case” supply.</p>

<p>I had no idea UA was a ‘dry town’…not sure if DD knows that, and if she does know that, why does she know that. :0 That is a needed conversation…thanks Class2012Mom for the info.</p>

<p>I will happily attest to the fact that C2012Mom is not the least bit normal. Nope. Hoo-boy, the stories I could tell…</p>

<p>NRDSON, though now whip thin, is in the best shape of his life due to campus walking. He boasts that he frequently outpaces joggers. </p>

<p>Longhaul - DS will be fine. You will be fine. Next year will be SO much easier. Last year it didn’t matter what anybody said, I fretted and made lists and fretted and over-packed and fretted some more. So freak out all you want - for now, it’s ‘normal’.</p>

<p>I had no idea UA was a ‘dry town’…not sure if DD knows that, and if she does know that, why does she know that. :0 That is a needed conversation…thanks Class2012Mom for the info.</p>

<p>Tuscaloosa is not a dry town. Tuscaloosa sells booze 7 days a week.</p>

<p>Booze isn’t sold on Bama’s campus, and neither are condoms. That is what was meant by “dry.”</p>

<p>Condoms and other “family planning” stuff are available at stores. Rx family planning can be prescribed at the health center.</p>

<p>I am sorry to say you are one of us now, so you are definitely not “normal” nor will you be ever again! If you were “normal” you would not be here because the average parent does not even have a concept of what a fabulous resource this forum is!</p>

<p>BUT, that is a good thing. I happen to take a sense of pride (psychiatric professionals probably have a DSM code for it) from the fact that I am informed on what is going on. The way I see it, it is just too big of an investment (emotionally and financially) not to try to help my son navigate this crucial period in his life. I would hope he looks back and appreciates it, but if not, I can always be a helicopter grandparent…</p>

<p>It is funny how the family dynamic changes though. Little brother will be a Freshman in high school this fall, and when big brother was home, they would “fight” incessantly. When asked last fall if he would miss his brother he replied with a wry “Not one bit”. Now they talk almost every night on Xbox and are probably closer than ever, 500 miles apart.</p>

<p>I think leaving him last Fall was harder on me than my wife. We are best buds and it really hit me when he wasn’t cheering with me in person as the Tide stomped all over Michigan. It got better, but it was hard at first… no lie.</p>

<p>And, although I never thought of it, it strikes me as odd that a condom can’t be had on campus. Seems like a major untapped market… think of it now… “(Un)Roll TIDE!!!”</p>

<p>There is actually a consumer product that can’t be had with the “A” logo?? I think a quick visit to Google is in order… LOL</p>

<p>Oh dear lord…I am laughing and can’t stop! I don’t know if these are happy laughs or scared… </p>

<p>I do not wish to have a little bundle of Tide any time soon.</p>

<p>rolltide: ‘Big’ Al?</p>

<p>Biggest Trunks in the SEC!</p>