NMF iPad

<p>Has anyone inquired as to the specifics of the iPad this year? Keyboard? Case? Retina Display?</p>

<p>Can’t tell you much about this years, but can tell you about last years. It was the most current iPad available at the time. Gen3, retina dispaly, 64 GB with data capability (You would have to pay for your own plan). Also included a case with bluetooth keyboard.</p>

<p>Doesn’t mean that you will get the same thing but I would expect it to be most of the same with the exception of being a Gen4.</p>

<p>If your child is using the iPad on campus or in her dorm, she really doesn’t need to buy a plan.</p>

<p>Agreed on not needing the plan. DS did not buy it, wireless coverage was sufficient.</p>

<p>Great information! Also, we are now shopping for phone and computer for Civil Engineering and CBHP. Any advice?</p>

<p>The computer should take up at least, and if possible, slightly more than half the floor space of the bedroom. Right, C2012Mom?</p>

<p>I’d suggest waiting until June, July, or even August to buy a computer as college students can get good deals on computers during the back to school sales.</p>

<p>Agreed on the data plan. I’m replying on my iPad now (with the keyboard, which has been very convenient and durable). I’m ChemE/CBH, and at first I thought it might be necessary to have a computer with a bit more processing power than the norm, and maybe a number pad. We ended up getting a reasonably-priced HP Pavilion from Best Buy that has suited me just fine. As of freshman year, I have not needed the capabilities of a high-end computer… just something that can reliably access the internet from my room (I only use the iPad around campus unless it’s CBH project time), has Word/Excel, and a decent keyboard so that I can program through Secure Shell.</p>

<p>I love the new laptops with the touchscreens. Once you get used to an iPad, you’ll find yourself touching your laptop screen, so it’s nice to have that feature.</p>

<p>TNTide5, how prevalent are Apple laptops among engineering students?</p>

<p>Hahaha, M2CK, I actually did that once or twice after getting the iPad. I’m sure Dad is shaking his head in disgust now… (I used a microfiber cloth!! Haha)</p>

<p>MereMom, I see several people with macs around campus, and most of the people who actually bring their laptops to CBH class have macs (just from an observation I made in CBH, where many of us are in engineering). While there certainly isn’t a shortage of Apple products in the College of Engineering, from what I’ve seen PCs are still in the majority. There haven’t been any compatibility issues so far, although Dr. Bara (ChemE prof) has designed a very useful iPad app and loves to use it in class.</p>

<p>Good to know. DD is dreaming of an apple (I think it is a girl thing for her), but DH has been reluctant as he feels PC is the way to go for EE. She is getting the NMF iPad, so either way we go with the laptop, I think she will be satisfied (or will eventually accept whatever purchase is finally made).</p>

<p>Our S was an engineering student and D was a cinema student. Both started the U with high end laptops. Both laptops died – S’s was 2.5 years old and D’s was probably 1.5 years. Both got new desktops + netbooks and found this the way to go. Neither is a fan of Apple and neither wanted a tablet. Both see tablets and iPads as more consumption devices than serious devices for work and creating materials.</p>

<p>We’re all different. H & I just got an iPad mini, which we mostly love. We had an Apple gift card we received, which we used to purchase it. We are still getting used to having some Apple products in our mostly PC family. (We also just got iPhones for the family.)</p>

<p>If your campus is wired as most campuses are, you probably will NOT need to buy a device which has its own plan for use on campus. At our kiddos campus, it was still faster to use the Ethernet wire instead of the wireless, so both used that much of the time.</p>

<p>I hadn’t thought of the desktop/netbook combination. What a good idea!</p>

<p>For our kids, the desktop/notebook combo was actually CHEAPER than the top of the line laptop and gave our kids the flexibility they needed. Having the desktop also allowed them to have several monitors which was very helpful in their respective fields.</p>

<p>The mid-range HP laptop I bought on a good back to school sale has lasted me all 4 years and is still going strong. I’ve only bought 2 replacement charging cables and the Windows 8 upgrade. Granted, I take very good care of my electronics.</p>

<p>A data plan is not necessary unless one finds a really good deal with a wireless carrier. I have found my smartphone to be very useful.</p>

<p>I’ve had a couple of CS-type business classes where I needed to have a PC or a Mac running Windows. </p>

<p>Concerning laptops, I highly recommend one with a number pad on the side. A lot of people say to only buy a computer with an Intel chip, but AMD chips are also great. Don’t buy your student the $300 or less laptop special at a discount store as they have about the same specs as good desktops from 2003. With the back to school student discount (usually $100 off at Staples or a free Xbox from Microsoft), a good non-gaming laptop will cost $300-600 before tax, but after a ~$250 discount from the full price and any rebates. I’ve bought 3 laptops for family members in the past 8 months this way. Touch screens seem to be running around $100-200 extra.</p>

<p>If your student hasn’t tried Windows 8, there is a learning curve, but after that Windows 8 is very easy to navigate.</p>

<p>Does anyone know when we get our NMF iPads?</p>

<p>Last year son picked his up at the Supe store at move-in.</p>

<p>I think they’re given out the day before school starts. I thought that the group was so large that they divided the process into two groups.</p>

<p>Maybe last year was different. We went with him on move-in day to pick up his books and he got his i-pad as well. No waiting at all - just had to sign for it as I recall.</p>