Northeastern Admissions Regular Decision Fall 2022

1000 was just a guess.

There were earlier posts that said they anticipated about half of the freshman (fall) class would be from ED (so, if 880 came from ED1, that suggests about 370 from ED2)…this would leave 1250 spots open for EA and RD combined. But if the prior post is correct and they accepted a total of 6100, that means that they accepted 4850 EA plus RD. Assuming a 30 percent yield, that would mean they expect 1455 to come from EA + RD. Combined with the 1250 from ED, that would lead to a class of about 2705. And if the yield is higher than 30 percent, they could easily get a class of 3000…so, I hope you’re right and the ED total is closer to 1000 than 1250.

NU’s yield was way up last year and I am sure they selected their applicants carefully this year and expect yield to jump significantly again this cycle. Plus they accepted too many last year and that cannot happen again. The university got a lot of good press in the last two years as they handled Covid testing so well and as a result more people heard about NU. It’s a pretty unique school in a much sought after city.

I agree. That is what is likely to happen and that is what the AO seems to want. Here is the dilemma, though: let’s say that happens and there is a large number of ED1 applicants. If they defer or turn down a great majority, I predict that will not repeat itself in the next cycle. And, if they admit a lot through the ED, what happens to ED2 and RD? There cannot be any rational prospective left for RD applicants — regardless of their profiles. I happen to think that the AOs that are “very good” in driving up this trend end up ultimately hurting the institution. That is one person’s opinion, of course. We shall see. I do not understand what NEU is trying to do/show… too much ambition can hurt you.

I guess I’m not understanding what you mean by “what they are trying to do”. Their yield was way up last year and they were unprepared by the high numbers of students that accepted.

2 Likes

I was surprised to hear the other days that there is no additional supplemental essay. Feels like they encourage the random applicant and a simple fix next year (if not, they want those numbers of applicants).

My daughter knows a freshman there - not only had housing trouble this year but also trouble getting classes required for major because of over enrollment. Regardless, he is happy there and clearly it’s a very sought after school.

1 Like

It’s never easy to simplify or summarize with this sort of thing. I shall try:

• last year, NEU “messed up” and is still dealing with the consequences of over-enrollment
  • this year’s applicants did “pay the price”, not sure that is the right choice of words but here we are
  • long-term, they are trying to drive applications up and admit % way down
  • similarly, they want more ED applications so that they can shape the class the way they want it

Applicants ought to ask whether any of the above is in their interest. I suspect many good applicants will stay away and more so in the long term.

I have a very happy student at NU afforded opportunities he simply would not have had at other schools. Life changing opportunities. Friends have heard all about it and applied-a few have matriculated to NU and one lucky student made it as an incoming freshman. Students tend to focus on fit of a school and stories from respected friends.

4 Likes

It’s never easy to simplify or summarize with this sort of thing. I shall try:

1. NU didn’t “mess up”. The yield went up from 25% to 33% which was unexpected. NU wasn’t the only school. BU, Purdue and some other schools were over-enrolled too. Yield calculation is not an exact science.
  2. This year’s applicants are unfortunately seeing this exact situation play out in many schools, and not just NU.
  3. Long term, NU is trying to attract the best students who’ll be the right fit on campus. It’s up to the students to apply or not. Those who consider NU as a “safety” and assume they’ll get in are in for a surprise. And it’s not just NU.
  4. Every school wants to shape the class the best way possible for a vibrant, diverse and dynamic class that matches their school culture. NU is not the only school pulling kids from ED. Most schools encourage kids to apply ED if they can. The chances of admittance has always been higher.

It’s in the student’s best interest to apply to schools which match their academic, personal, and financial criteria.

Admission is never guaranteed, and sometimes it can be painful to accept. But I’ve seen so many kids here on CC have the grace to accept the results and move on. A rejection or WL is not a reflection of them. I just hope parents will take the cues from their amazing students.

11 Likes

That’s fantastic and congratulations to your student. It does not work out for all, unfortunately. The why, how and what is the debate. Good luck to all the applicants and admits!

Thank you. That is a debate and you have your opinions and I have mine. We shall see what happens in the long-term. I think it is not fair what some colleges do to the applicants and I will leave it at that. Let us wish the applicants all the best and again, congratulations to all the admits.

Agree with the following 100%:

It’s in the student’s best interest to apply to schools which match their academic, personal, and financial criteria…

1 Like

Last year one out of three students accepted the offer of admission instead of their usual one out of four. It was unexpected and they have adjusted accordingly. Maybe the Admissions Officers will be relieved if fewer kids apply.
My sophomore has had a good experience and is looking forward to a study abroad. He cooks for himself and the only complaint I have heard is about the gym being crowded. I read a lot of success stories on the parent FB group. One student got a music industry internship in LA over 20,000 applicants due to their co-op experience.

5 Likes

Just for reference for future applicants scrolling this thread - focus of this article in NYT 2 days ago is on NU - university spokesperson confirms they are need aware.

It is no secret that Northeastern iis need aware. Only the best endowed colleges can afford to meet 100% need and be need blind.

3 Likes

agree with endowment point. it was just being questioned above and the responses were conflicting. the article explains why there is confusion (and suggests it actually has been a bit secret) but clarifies the answer. Just read it and thought clarity might help for future.

Paywall and i have used up my free articles for the month.

@TomSrOfBoston - If you google the article name and NYT it will sometimes skip your paywall and let you read when you “enter” that way.

Tried it. Didn’t work. LOL

Interesting- it worked for me - when I clicked on the link it said I had hit my free article limit. When I googled the title and chose the article I could read it

1 Like

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but the need-aware process only plays a role in the decision to admit/reject, and has nothing to do with the amount of aid offered. Is that correct?

For NEU (and other NA schools), I’m curious if NPC results are less accurate for need-based applicants (married, no business). My D23 is set on ED1, and the NPC result is affordable. Does NEU being need-aware mean we can still be gapped?

1 Like