Northeastern Early Decision and Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

My son is an Eagle too. Hope your boy decides to attend NEU too. :slight_smile:

There you go

Another hard year for the kids. I’m sure she’ll land into something good. We still have Pi day to celebrate!!!

1 Like

Thanks so much @advitha!
Yes, will be great if we can celebrate on Pi Day :slight_smile:

Hi- is that 33% yield inclusive of ED or just for EA/RD? Do you know what percent of last year’s class they accepted from the ED rounds?

One thing I noticed was that on the Common Data set for 2020-2021, Northeastern said they accepted 1014 out of 1979 during ED (51% acceptance rate)
however, in a recent post about ED1, they said that the 2700 ED1 applications represents a 36% increase over last year
which would suggest that the 1979 is only ED1 not ED1 + ED2
if that’s true, it’s hard to know know what proportion of the class was actually filled with ED kids. Also, if the total yield was much higher during RD (as has been reported), the proportion of the class filled with ED kids was presumably lower than planned.

NUin is a very defined and well run program that has been around for almost a decade. They just don’t know locations yet likely due to the pandemic and what will be open etc.

Can I ask your advice on how to get in touch with NU AOs by email? Their direct contact info is not on the admissions site from what I see - seems to suggest they don’t want to be contacted directly. My son sent new info to his AO’s attention at the general admissions email address. He received no response until two weeks later when he received a reply from an administrative assistant simply saying she placed the info in his file. When my daughter applied EA 4 years ago she was able to hunt down her AO’s email with some sleuthing on the internet but also never received a reply after reaching out. My son was just deferred EA and would like to express continued interest. Not sure what what my daughter’s outcome would have been - she withdrew her EA app after an ED acceptance. Curious since our experience is very different from you getting hours of AO assistance!

They must have a much lower yield to NUIN abroad. Let’s hope you’re right. I think they have targeted around 800-900 NUin in the past.

1 Like

Im sorry that you were unable to get contact with your AO’s during your son and daughter’s admission cycles. Personally, I sent out an email to my AO and received a reply within a week, then all future emails I received replies often with the day, if not the hour. I was able to send in additional documents regarding my application and schedule a zoom Q&A session.

I think it may be because of different application cycles. Depending on when you contact them, they may be in a better position to respond. I applied last year ED2 and started emailing my AO about my application in early January.

The same could not be said about my ED1 application to Tufts, in which I emailed my AO twice and never got a response. I think some AO’s are better than others, so sometimes it is worth trying to email a different AO at the same school and hopefully they redirect you to the correct one.

They have an extremely high yield last year (1700 overenrolled) so they are being protective, plus they had 30% more students apply EAthan last year. They also defer high stat student who they think are using NU as a safety school as many will drop out before the RD round. If nu is really your first choice, then let your AO know and you may have to accept NUIN as well. It is extremely competitive esp this year. Plus there are a lot of students who welcome NUIN and they try to manage that program size as well.

Many RD students get merit
fwiw.

1 Like

Exactly, you get it perfectly.

Yep. I was just shocked to see the number of EA admits for Boston campus vs that of NUin. Hopefully, the yield rate on NUin this year won’t “shock” them again and stay in a reasonable range

This is really interesting
there was another post (after the ED1 release) that said that the 880 ED1 acceptances represented 1/3 of their anticipated fall freshman class (so that would mean a class of about 2640). If the above is true and they anticipate filling 1/2 of the class with ED students, approximately 1320 of the 2640 will be accepted through ED1+ED2 (so we should expect 440 acceptances in ED2.) That leaves 1320 slots for EA plus ED.

This is why yield is so important
if they underpredict yield for those very few slots, they end up with an over-enrollment problem
the above suggests that they may have extended 2000 offers during EA (they said that they offered “just under” 3000 fall admissions slots–so that’s about 2000 once you take out the 880 ED1 slots)
if you assume a yield of 20%, that’s 400 slots taken, leaving 920 left for RD
but if you assume a yield of 40%, that’s 800 slots taken, leaving only 520 for RD. But they don’t know the actual yield until they’ve made both EA and RD decisions and kids matriculate
I wonder if they will have to rely heavily on waiting lists to deal with this.

1 Like

Daughter from large NJ Public HS - deferred as art major.
1450 SAT / 6-7 APs / class rank 15 percentile.
Varsity track/field - XC four years.
Some EC’s and community activities - nothing spectacular.

Son 2020 HS grad class was also deferred for engineering in EA, but later received acceptance to NUin - very similar stats as daughter - higher SAT’s 1500. He wound up going to UCSB for engineering.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear your daughter was deferred. Hope she gets accepted later. Good luck!

Do you they send these acceptances along with all the other RD decisions? Or sooner?

Not sure what your question is?

Deferred EA applicants are now part of the RD pool. All will receive decisions at the same time in mid-March.

1 Like

I see what your question is now - my son received his acceptance separately from the Regular Decision pool. He received an email long before the RD decision date. I think they were filling spots basically on a rolling basis and taking students off the deferral list. He was engineering so maybe it was different for other majors or maybe the school’s plans have changed since 2020.

NU Bound seems almost like a rejection but if it’s a rejection how can they almost give max merit?

Anyone else get NU Bound?