Northeastern Early Decision and Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Northeastern has a proposed 800 student residence hall awaiting city approval. The city has been dragging its feet for over a year now.

840 Columbus – Campus Planning and Real Estate (northeastern.edu)

The first 5 floors will be academic space.

1 Like

From our experience, NU always has a plan. Housing is tight in Boston like most cities, and there are myriad city ordinances to navigate, but they always have a plan. In the last few years, they’ve leased hotels, leased housing from neighboring colleges (Wentworth), built new on-campus apartments (Lightview), with plans for more (as @TomSrOfBoston pointed out). I would be very surprised if NU did away with the 4 year housing guarantee.

1 Like

My daughter did, but don’t think we are going to take it. It is just too much money.

Thanks- is this new construction? Presumably this is a multi-year plan…

Yes, a new building. When Northeastern first proposed it, completion was to be September, 2023. But the city is stalling approval.

Is your daughter considering NUin or is the school now out of the running?
My DD was also admitted to NU in and wants it but no merit.

My DD was also admitted to NU in and wants it but no merit.
Is your daughter considering NUin or is the school now out of the running?

With NUin it is not out of the running but went from top 2 to let’s see what happens elsewhere first… I still do like their approach with coops etc. a ton and pushing her toward it but she’s somewhat more confused now than she was before.

1 Like

We share your confusion, and in our case, currently a bit of disappointment (seems to go with the college application territory).

Our D was admitted via NU Bound, and there is unfortunate speculation concerning location, etc., since none of the details have been worked out or publicized.

I think NU did these students a huge disservice by not having everything in order prior to announcing admission. I don’t like the fact that these places can place high expectations on students but can’t always live up to the same standard. Sorry - we’re frustrated.

We are hopeful for good options but not at all confident they will come to fruition. She applied to NU because of Boston, the curriculum, and the vast opportunities. As much as it would be delightful to spend an academic year in London, we did not at all expect to be potentially farmed out as part of NU’s latest expansion experiment, especially if that is to the most recent Oakland, CA acquisition. We are hopeful, but not terribly confident at this point, that NU is the place. And if that is the case, it will (eventually) be OK.

6 Likes

Have they provided NUBound admits with any more info- how many will be in the program? costs? locations? It is such a new program any more info will help others navigate this option.

It is a confusing proposition. I imagine more details will be coming soon so folks have plenty of time to weight their options. Some might be pandemic related, some might be waiting on more approvals for Oakland, other locations, etc. For some kids, this is a great option and their way in to NEU after that first year; but it is definitely not for all kids. NEU itself is not a great fit for all students given how untraditional its curriculum is in so many ways. Best to you and your D in the decision making process.

Interesting – “The university expects to fulfill the need for 69 percent of undergraduates requiring housing by 2024 following completion of the 840 Columbus Avenue project.”

This must be their commitment to the City, to house 69% of students by 2024, but with this year’s huge overenrollment, that will be very challenging to meet, especially if this project is delayed further. I do campus planning at a UC and these delays are incredibly challenging in managing campus plans and enrollment/housing.

Agree! I worry that they are going to have to rely on cramming more kids into existing spaces if the hotels they have been using aren’t available anymore and this project is delayed…what other options are there?

It seems odd that the city would not try to approve the project since: 1) the university already owns the land; and 2) the alternative is that NU will have to let students live off campus, which puts upward pressure on an already unaffordable market…

you can join NU Parent FB and you can get more info there.

She’s negative about it. She plays a fall sport and wants to walk-on. Depending on her other acceptances, this NUin thing might leave Northeastern at that bottom of the list.

No. The similarity ends there. Not WI.

Thanks for this info. Looking at the floorplans of the freshman dorms. The “economy” rooms–the doubles made into triples–do you think those will go back to doubles this year if they don’t have the over enrollment that they had last year?

I’m guessing here, but I’m assuming they will go back to normal capacity once the overenrolled classes go through the system. I’m not sure what the percentage of students stay in on-campus housing for all four years. My sense is, that most move off once allowed. But I don’t have that data.

does anyone know when ED2 decisions come out?

Very good chance they come out today.