Northeastern Early Decision and Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Yes, that’s my estimate based on a lot of figures. Take it with a massive grain of salt of course, but I happen to believe it is fairly accurate.

Possibly. Since they have already filled about half the class from ED1 and ED2, and they gave out about 3000 acceptances from EA, they will likely give out at maximum another 3,000 from RD. I would think they will likely give out less than that, probably around 1500 because about 1/3rd of EA acceptances are likely to enroll.

So, that’s a bit of a complicated issue.

Basically, they have said that there will be another 900 beds added between East Village and International Village. How they will divide that up I’m not sure, but knowing that EV is smaller than IV, I could see another 350 being added to EV and 550 to IV.

This plan is more intermediate than anything as Northeastern is trying to sort out all of its housing. Currently, Northeastern is renting a couple of dorms from Wentworth, has students still in the Sheraton and Westin, as well as pushing upperclassmen to pursue off-campus opportunities.

They are aware that this isn’t the right thing to do, and since NUin Boston is ending after this year, they are trying to find a way to properly have all students in housing. Therefore, they will expand housing in IV and EV as they pursue options. There are plans to build more residence halls/upperclassmen dorms on Columbus Avenue, semi-rumors of the Midtown Hotel being torn down and an upperclassmen dorm/off-campus housing being built in its place that is significantly larger, and other rumors of buying some residence halls from Wentworth.

Either way, the bed spaces may be expanded for this upcoming year, but it won’t stay that way.

1 Like

My son was deferred in EA and submitted his mid year grades but they don’t show anywhere in the portal. Is that how it is for everyone else?

The Midtown Hotel is slated for demolition but the last I heard is that it will be replaced by a midrise condo building.
Midtown Hotel Redevelopment | 220 Huntington Avenue | Back Bay | Page 11 | archBOSTON

Maybe they have their reasons (like addressing the over enrollment from last year) for having T20-like acceptance rates, but NEU is also well known for having gamed the USNWR ratings system to get to #50. So color me skeptical.

NEU is a good school, but it’s not an Ivy or HYPMS even though it tries to act like one. So I’m disinclined to pay T20 rates at NEU. Time for my daughter to move on!

Thats what I’ve heard too, but I think the new building will target upperclassmen students, hopefully it will replace some of the housing issues

From what you’re saying, it sounds like housing is going to be worse on campus this year than last because–even with a smaller freshman class–there are simply no short-term solutions that can compensate for losing the Sheraton/Westin/Wentworth beds other than putting more beds in existing dorms…

The two Wentworth dorms will still be used by Northeastern in 2022-2023.

1 Like

It seems like if they don’t approve the upsizing plan, they are going to push the issue to the neighborhood, if they do, it is going to be an issue for all existing students in the dorm. From what I can tell, those rooms look small, hard to put more beds in. They might want to consider reducing the room rate so that the students and parent are more likely to accept the “solution”. After all, it was the issue they created by miscalculating the yield rate terribly last year. (Certainly, we could blame Covid for all the mess. )Just my two cents.

I really think its funny how often people talk about NU’s “gaming the system” like every other college does not do the same thing. Most, if not all top schools use methods to try and improve their rankings because they are aware that parents look at USNews rankings when picking college for their kids, and now, kids look at them too.

Some examples:

• Top schools like Emory, Claremount McKenna, GW, etc. have been caught misreporting (effectively lying) about SAT scores, GPA’s, etc.
  • Tulane has a “spring scholars” program which is incredibly similar to NUin, Tulane has also vastly increased their ranking over the years.
  • Boston University has a very similar program to NUin in which students stay their first semester at home, go to BU second semester, and then go to London for the summer.
  • Ivy schools have similar programs as well. Cornell has guaranteed transfers for students to go to lower schools first and then transfer in their second year, pretty similar to NUin and NUBound.

Arguing that NU isn’t a good school but “tries to act like one” would just lack acknowledgement of how many other schools are exactly the same, except Northeastern is open about the fact that it is trying to better itself and better its accepted students. If anything that is more respectful of Northeastern.

Ivy schools and HYPMS are exactly the same as Northeastern, except people only care about “prestige” and “history” even though the actual education you receive is marginally different per school.

I’m glad you found that boston magazine article from 8 years ago and haven’t looked at everything Northeastern has done since.

15 Likes

That’s actually the opposite of what I said :blush:

Definitely not true. I’ve read quite a bit about what NEU has been up to, including all the current issues they are facing.

Anyway, I am not trying to change any opinions here - just voicing my own. And certainly not intending to offend anyone.

So I’ll just leave it at that, as I have no interest in writing a rebuttal.

I see people talk about NEU gaming the system all the time, but other than the article from 8 years ago, nobody has ever really offered any solid evidence. I did a lot of research too as a parent. Those spring admits, guaranteed transfers are almost everywhere. What is wrong with NEU offering that? As for the acceptance rate, it is not even included in the USNEWS ranking. NEU just has to deal with the mess due to the miscalculated yield, partly due to its growing popularity as well.

I even find the article from 8 years ago unfair in many ways. The rules are open to everybody, and what is wrong with the school trying to move up within the boundaries of rules? It is like my kids preparing for ACT. Some people say reading the question first and then check the answer choice, and some people say just doing the opposite, but there are no people out there saying: Hey, you are gaming the system, and what are you up to? Why don’t you try to get a better understanding of the subject and try to be like those kids going to HYP?

1 Like

I find the whole things silly…if US News thinks certain factors make for a good school and uses them in their rankings and then a school tries to improve those factors, how is that “gaming” the system? Now, if you don’t think those factors are important–and, to be clear, I think many of them are NOT important–that’s on US News and how much the public relies on their rankings.

2 Likes

I think NEU catapulted themselves into another trajectory by doing whatever it is they did to raise the number of applications, drive down admissions %, etc. Tulane, too. This is a business! And as long as people look at those rankings and give them credibility, schools will do things to move up the ranks. Yield, blah, blah, lol.

I agree. It is really important for all parents and kids to know about how the school are actually ranked. A lot of those factors are probably not that important not something you are looking for.
I just find it incomprehensible there are some folks out there really believing that NEU created this whole housing mess on purpose in order to make it look like HPY. Really? Everybody knows NEU is not HPY. NEU knows that too.

1 Like

I said I wasn’t interested in engaging in a back and forth as I was merely expressing my view (based on many factors) and I respect others’ opposing views.

But, if you’re all going to misrepresent what I said then I’m going to call it out. Please re-read my post.

Thank you.

I understand, but it was not directed to you, sir. Thank you too.

1 Like

Wasn’t this discussed quite a bit in the Jeffrey Selingo book?

2 Likes

I have heard about the book, but did never get a chance to read it. My understanding is that the book was also about the whole reverse-engineering story.

Again, it is like ACT test. For those HYP-caliber kids, they can take the test whatever way they want, and get 36 or 35 every time. I am happy for them. Go ahead and enjoy your education at HYP.

For those non-HYP-caliber kids, the kids having to play some guessing game or some testing “tricks” to get 34 or 35, like the ones I talked about earlier( granted they would still have to be pretty good in the subject), I would not blame them for trying to “game the test”. They didn’t do anything wrong and were just trying to get a higher score in ACT test in every possible way.

If those HYP kids don’t like this, don’t blame those other kids for trying to “act like them”. Go push ACT to change the format of the test. But those HYP kids need to understand that ACT is not only designed for them. It is for everyone, not only for them.