Northeastern University 2019 EA

It’s a very positive article. Northeastern realized that it had a large amount of land on the edge of one of the most wealthy, urban, youth-friendly sections of an extraordinarily popular college city. Sure they studied the formula and optimized things like class sizes (with the possible exception of a few liberal arts colleges that thumb their nose at rankings, I’m sure every college has done the same), but mostly they invested in a modern, urban campus and new academic programs. The result is that my daughter will graduate this spring from a respected national research university instead of the regional commuter school that my dad graduated from 65 years ago. It’s a great success story and there’s no need to apologize for the Globe’s spin on it.

@TomSrOfBoston - fair comment! To be clear, my reference was specific to the institutional focus NU has placed in the past on achieving a higher college ranking as an enabler to justify price parity with other local universities with a national profile (namely BC, BU). Most colleges do this to some extent…I found the link on a Google search yesterday; interestingly, it was one of the top choices in my search result…wonder if BC or BU paid for that placement :wink: !, I shared the link as I do think it’s useful for prospective students to focus more on true fit with the colleges they apply to vs making a correlation between a college ranking list and perceived quality/value of a degree at a specific institution.

I’m a product of a state university system so I don’t have any skin in the game or the great “Best U in Boston debate” unless it’s Beanpot weekend.

As a professional who’s worked in Life Sciences inside 128 for 20+ years, I will say I’ve had several NU co-op students working in my orgs and I’d characterize them as smart, driven and capable students who I’d likely consider for permanent roles.

So are we thinking Tuesday now?

@cusnew Since they are not adhering to last year’s schedule then the best guess is “by February 1”.

Hi all! I applied EA too but I think we’ll find out today. Wasn’t it students from last year were supposed to find out on Thursday last year because it was exactly two weeks before the decision date? So, I feel like it would make sense for our decisions to come out today because it would be two weeks before the decision date. But, then again it can be next week.

They found out exactly a year ago today, so there may still be hope.

I really do hope it is today. Yesterday has gotten us really anxious and disappointed that decisions aren’t out. I guess this is part of the college process.

I would not read into the date, they do not usually match up year to year. The only constants in the past 5 years:

• Not Monday or Friday
  • Not on a holiday
  • At least a week before the "by X" date

I would say the next possible dates would be the 22nd-24th. Everyone stop hitting refresh and enjoy the long weekend!

I wrote the supplement before it was taken off common app but never submitted it on the application but I couldn’t. I know its late but should I add it to my application or just leave it at this point?

Honestly we should all stop predicting and getting people’s hopes up. Nobody knows the true date. If you hear back post that you have. if not … there is no reason to spread fake news.

Sometimes it helps to know other people are as stressed out as I am!

Nothing today i guess

Nothing in CA

Nothing comes out on Fridays. It will likely be betwwen the 22-24 of Jan

If you guys are missing financial aid documents, does Northeastern have someone from financial aid call you usually?

me + both 2 of my friends applying to NEU were called yesterday regarding finaid, so I’d say it’s expected

Can someone do me a favor? I don’t know if this means anything but log in to your NEU portal. Then right-click, and select “View page source.” There are a couple methods here you’ll have to sift through, but can you look at the one right before the . When you do control+f or cmd+f, this should be the fifth one. The method on mine says ViewDefer. I’m not sure if this means anything and it probably doesn’t in case everyone has it. I just wanted to know if you guys have the same ViewDefer code there or you guys had something like ViewAdmitted or something. Thanks!

Our son got a call as well. What were you missing? When we looked on his portal it shows as everything is turned in???

@dragon8301 mine says ViewDefer as well

Mine also says ViewDefer. I think that’s just the way the script is written bud, northeastern wouldn’t get caught on something like that.