Northeastern University 2019 EA

I heard the same thing @gle4766. This is probably at least part of the reason for so many deferrals, including of top academic candidates, in the EA round. Have to imagine, to the extent they weigh anything in favor of such candidates, it would be demonstrated interest. I visited the school twice, doing the full general and school-specific tours and info sessions. Even bought a sweatshirt! Hope that all helps!

Does anyone know what percentage of the class is filled during the ED cycles?

@am9799 The 2017-18 CDS shows 361 students were admitted ED, total of 3,108 enrolled.

@momzilla2D - The Dean made a point at one of the info sessions I attended to stress that NEU is one of the few top higher ranked schools to not overly draw (at least not yet) from the ED pool. I mean some schools take more than 50% of their class early!

@BrooklynRye and others

Last year many top statted applicants were deferred although many others were admitted EA. There were two parents and one student who commented here after being deferred that they would be withdrawing their applications. They all seemed insulted by not being accepted to their safety school!

If deferred EA I would recommend sending in a LOCI that is specific to Northeastern and what has attracted you to the school.

@TomSrOfBoston I apologize this might sound stupid but what does LOCI stand for??

@gle4766 Letter of Continued Interest. Sorry for the alphabet soup. I’ve been on CC too long. :slight_smile:

@TomSrOfBoston Do you have any ideas of when we could expect to hear back from Northeastern?

@gle4766 LOCI stands for a letter of continued interest

Good advice by Tom. I think the test for genuinely interested students is an EA deferral. If you withdraw/commit elsewhere, you self select yourself out of the pool. I suspect it’s a big reason why so many are deferred, but also why many are then accepted RD if they stick around.

Demonstrated interest is tough because not everyone can visit, but make sure you’re subscribed to marketing emails and reach out to your adcom if you can with any questions so they perhaps recognize your name when the time comes. Unfortunately, no one knows what exactly they look at, but I wouldn’t sweat not visiting if you can’t. A LOCI (Letter of Continued Interest, sent to your adcom usually I believe) is a great idea that anyone can do if deferred.

Possibility for it to come out on Wednesday from 5-7?

@rochellka My guess would be this Tuesday or Thursday but then again I expected them last week.

I’m getting soooo nervous but I’m guessing Wednesday will be the day. It gives time after today’s holiday.

i understand why everyone thought it was gonna happen on the 17th that was reasonable based on last year. but can we please stop all speculating about the day? because nobody knows at this point and the 17th was stressful as heck so lets just all calm down until we know anything for sure.

I agree with @BobbyFeet, we really cannot know anything for sure. If you’re going to try to make an educated guess though, I think the most viable predictions are either this Wednesday or Thursday. Two people way earlier in this thread said that it would be at least the 23rd (Wednesday), and at this point I trust that the most since it didn’t come out last Thursday when we all suspected it. Of course, that’s just speculation and there’s no real reason to trust it, but there is literally no other evidence because the patterns have proven to be false. Let’s not all freak out though on any specific day this week though since we truly know nothing!

Everyone needs to remember that even if you don’t get accepted to your dream school, you still carry your personal strengths with you wherever you end up.

We heard some students found out about northeastern EA already — then were told they had received scholarships??? Anyone else here this???

Some already heard… they received scholarships EA

I heard rumors of this over a month ago as well around ED decisions, never once a confirmation. I watch multiple forums and have not seen any decisions yet. It’s probably people not understanding EA vs ED. I would disregard it no matter what. In the end it doesn’t affect you - you hear back when you hear back.

Edit: Spelling

Hi PengsPhils, do you know if we have to stick with the major we put on the Common App? Is it possible to change after accepted? Thanks.