Northeastern University 2019 RD

@ProudDad13 Any idea of when decisions will be out?

Probably wednesday

@PengsPhils Do you consider the honors college as something that should sway a prospective student’s decision toward attending Northeastern if they are considering other similarly ranked colleges with great programs? I was deferred EA but suppose will not receive an honors invitation should I be accepted, but I’m wondering if the honors college is that big of a deal.

I checked Twitter… for EA and ED2 they posted about emails at 7pm… I can’t wait for tomorrow!!?

Did everyone who was deferred write letters of continued interest? I didn’t and I’m worried they will reject me because they think I am not interested enough.

@StraightOuttaTX

Good question!

In short: Absolutely not.

Honors really boils down to being a perks package, not a different academic or co-op experience. The perks basically are the global scholarship, better housing in the first few years, and a few smaller intro classes for basic classes like Calculus. There are a few honors specific courses, but they are all gen-eds and the honors kids I know are generally indifferent to them.

While it’s nothing to sneeze at (particularly the global scholarship), there are limited effects. Heck, you can even apply to get into honors for your second year, and I have never once heard of someone being rejected doing that. Most people don’t even care / think to do it to give you an idea of how important honors is.

This thread has more details as well: http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/northeastern-university/2123075-northeastern-honors-college.html

As a note, the “honors” CS intro course is now called “accelerated” and opt-in (regardless of honors) as the college found that Honors and high school CS experience did not strongly correlate.

I wouldn’t get hopes up for tomorrow because we went through this with EA and it was later than expected. If the EA date was pushed later than usual, then we can probably expect RD to also be later than in past years too. Obviously I don’t know anything for sure, but I gave myself so much anxiety about it for EA so I think its important to just be patient and not have too much hope for the earliest possible date.

I heard that some of the kids involved in the scandal applied to Northeastern so would that possibly affect the release date? Like maybe they might need to take some extra time and kick out those people first

@stressed2019 I think it’s unlikely that would make a difference. Even if it did have some effect, they would probably have to wait until all the legal stuff is dealt with.

I hope so. We all want to hear back as soon as possible!

Did they send out an email before decisions were released last year?

Emails are sent about 30ish minutes after your decisions are available - no prior warning days before or anything. The Northeastern Admissions twitter announces decisions are out on the day typically when the first wave goes out.

No, Northeastern was not listed as one of the schools involved in the scandal.

@prad14 what scandal ?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/12/us/college-admissions-cheating-scandal.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

A shame :frowning:

so are we thinking decisions will come out later today?

Here is the article where Northeastern was mentioned: https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/Boston-Area-Parents-and-Students-Frustrated-by-Nationwide-Admissions-Scandal-507061051.html

The last few years they have come out on the Wednesday of this week which would be today

@Perritomorado The article mentions that fraudulent test scores were sent to NU, BU and BC. It does not say if the student was admitted.