Northeastern University 2020 EA

What is going on with Merit this year? When my daughter applied 2 years ago the merit received from the schools was double … is it just the boys?

Son accepted into CS. 16000 each year in merit. which is only a little more than WPI. I have to say we were hoping for more but this seems to be the norm.

He also got accepted into Umass Lowell and Umass Darmouth with full scholarships and honors college. Plus others. Of course he wont go to any of those to save us some money :wink:

SAT 1540, GPA 4. something weighted, tons of APs. and activities.

He has his heart set on going to Northeastern but I’m not sure if we can make it work. We will see. Congrats to everyone that got in and good luck to everyone still waiting.

Decision: Deferred

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): N/A
ACT (breakdown): 36P, 9 on essay
SAT II: 800 (Math II)
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.92
Weighted GPA: 4.48
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): N/A
AP (place score in parenthesis): BC Calc (5), CompSci A (5), CompSci Principles (5)
IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A
Senior Year Course Load: AP Physics C, AP Stats, AP Econ Micro/Macro, Spanish II Honors, regular English, PE, Civics
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): N/A

Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Chess Team (Captain, We are one of the best teams in our state), JV Tennis team.
Job/Work Experience: Worked at Mathnasium as a math tutor, Internship at a Fortune 500 company for computer science doing actual CS work.
Volunteer/Community service: N/A
Summer Activities: took Math 240: Linear algebra for credit through the college prep program at northwestern and got an A. More internship stuff. Went to some computer science camps.

Essays (rating 1-10, details):
Common App Essay: 10/10. I thought it was awesome. That sentiment was shared with many other people.

Recommendations (rating 1-10, details):
Teacher Rec #1: 10/10. AP Computer science teacher. She thinks very highly of me.
Teacher Rec #2: 9/10. Math teacher that I had in 7th grade and again as a junior when I took Multivariable calculus.
Counselor Rec: 10/10. I know my counselor very well. He said it was one of the best recs he has ever written.
Additional Rec: 10/10. It was from my boss for the internship. Very great rec (I read it myself :smile:)

Other:
Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
Intended Major: Computer Science
State (if domestic applicant): Illinois
Country (if international applicant):
School Type: Large Public School, Pretty Competitive
Ethnicity: White
Income Bracket: High
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): N/A

Reflection:
Strengths: Grades, test scores, essays, recs, actual work experience in the CS field.
Weaknesses: I got a C in PE as a sophomore and didn’t take any of the English or history AP classes.
Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I think they thought I was using Northeastern as a safety, which to their credit I was. I think my application may have been “too good”

General Comments: I was kinda expecting to be deferred, but hopefully I will get an acceptance in April!

Decision: Accepted into the Honors program with a $32k scholarship annually (NHRP scholar)
SAT: 1530 (single sitting; 790M, 740R)
GPA: 4.43W
State: New Jersey
Major: Biochemistry
Did you apply for FA: Yes

SOOO excited!!! Seems like there were tons of deferrals this year so I feel super lucky.

Decision: Deferred lol
SAT/ACT: 36 ACT
GPA: 4.3 W or something
State/Country: Tennessee
Major: History & English
Did you apply for FA?: Yes

@leapyearG Northeastern has been changing the aid mix in the last few years towards more need based grants.

Is northeastern need blind or need aware? I’ve seen different things and I want to see if that may have been a factor in my decision

Accepted CA NUin and Civil Engineering with Arch
GPA 4.3
SAT 1430 (770 MAth) Once
International Robotics Honor Society
4 Years of Chinese and Study Abroad and Looking forward to MORE
Many AP’s
Lots of Women in Stem Service Work
Female
Missing info for FA so waiting

Shocked and Excited

@letmein2024 Need aware. Only a handful of schools with mega endowments meet need and are need blind.

SAT/ACT: 1520 SAT (780 Math, 740 Eng)
GPA: 4.55 weighted
State/Country: Ohio
Major: Computer Science & Mathematics

@suzyQ7 I’m assuming that is total merit aid, over 4 years…

Homeschooled applicant from Texas here!
Just got accepted as a Journalism major with the Honors Program and Honors scholarship!! I’m elated!

Stats:
33 ACT, 12 on writing
5 AP exams, all 4 or 5
GPA 4.0 uw, 4.56 w
National Merit Commended, National Hispanic Scholar
60+ dual enrollment college credit hours

Must be my recs and essay.
I did correspond with my admissions counselor and visit campus for a tour.
Best of luck to all and congratulations to everyone who got in!

@archiefour We are both in the same boat haha. I got a 36 as well. One of my friend’s friends got into MIT but was deferred from Northeastern lol. I’m taking the deferral as a compliment.

@TomSrOfBoston,
approx how many words? like 250?

Decision: Accepted!

Major: Behavioral Neuroscience
SAT/ACT: SAT 1530, ACT 34 (35 Superscored)
GPA: 4.35 Weighted, 3.85 Unweighted
State: California
Asian American Female Higher Income Bracket
Lots of AP’s
SAT Math 2: 790
SAT Biology E: 760
Extracurriculars: self-started summer program, music tutor, community service, music experience, extensive leadership work.

SAT/ACT: 1320 SAT
GPA: 4.3 GPA (weighted)
State/Country: Alexandria, VA
Major: Biology

This was my first non-acceptance and I did not know how to take it at first but now I’m straight lol :slight_smile:

SAT: 1480
GPA: 4.00/4.58 weighted
State: CA
Major: Music Industry
Did you apply for FA: Yes

Decision: Accepted, Honors, 24k/yr
SAT/ACT: ACT 35
GPA: 3.7 Unweighted
State/Country: TX
Major: Journalism/Political Science
Did you apply for FA? Yes

@Mikey2024 Northeastern does not think that you are “too good” for them. Rather they feel that there is very little chance that you would actually attend, especially if you have shown no interest.

@PurpleLlama066 No longer than an application essay. No fluff!

Not surprised by the defferal, but was really hoping maybe somehow he’d get an acceptance so we’d know. Ugh. We visited back in March and DS loved it. We knew it wasn’t a “safety.” So he will hopefully crank out a good “Why Northeastern” LOCI. At least he can add a couple things in a few weeks, such as (hopefully) a confirmed NMF and he was just named as a candidate in the US Presidential Scholars Program (it’s worth a mention, I guess).

Deferred - applied for CS

OOS - Illinois

SAT 1600
SAT II Math II 800, Physics 780
ACT 36
AP Scores: CSA 5, CALC BC 5, APUSH 4, US Govt 5, Physics 1 4, Eng Lit & Comp 4
Current APs: AP Chem, AP Stats, AP Physics C, AP French V
UWGPA 3.93, WGPA 4.50
NMSF (so far no rejection letter, so we’re assuming he’s a finalist)

Lots of relevant ECs, placed in state for math team 2 years, state qualifier for ACES team

PT jobs with a good amount of hours (summer paid internship in tech support with school district for 35 hrs/wk, first semester internship of 20 hrs/wk in CS, 1 year of PT work at restaurant where he has moved from a busser to a host to a server) on top of most rigorous schedule possible

Did not apply for FA