Northeastern University 2020 EA

@mikefoster Yes. @piesquared, a college advisor, posted that he received this email from Northeastern:

So the ED I acceptance rate was 37%, the EA acceptance rate was 16%, not counting NU In offers.

D got accepted to CS and business with a dean’s scholarship. Super excited !! She is now torn between this and Michigan

Act 36
Gpa 4.3

How do we check for Grants?

Decision: Accepted to CS
SAT/ACT: Super score ACT 35
State/Country: Vermont, USA
Major: Data Science and Mathematics
Did you apply for FA?: Yes, got $49,100, Dean’s Scholarship

Decision: Accepted
ACT: 34R 35W 36M 29S, 30R 35W 35M 36S
GPA: 4.33W
State/Country: CT, USA
Major: Biochemistry, College of Sciences
Did you apply for FA?: No

2020ma–no your stats are excellent! Biggest issue is you applied for financial aid–I am aware of 3 students who just got accepted from Massachusetts high schools-1 international and 2 US citizens and all are full pay-- good but not outstanding SATS and likely top 20% at their high schools-very little EC’s outside of high schools which is very unusual–cash is king and has been for several years at Northeastern

Jaqueefa: At $73,000+ dollar annual tuition/room & board, getting aid of only $41,700 does not sound like making bank–you still need to pay cash of $33,000+ a year plus books and fees, etc.—you could go to your state school for far less if you get a similar package–be sure to check out how much bio/chem majors get paid for co-ops–I have a friend that was not offered any $ for her 1st and 2nd co-ops–many majors don’t get paid-business and engineering are averaging about $22.00 per hour–a CS major might get more, but not that much in years 2 & 3
 I suggest you appeal your merit or financial aid–Northeastern is really chasing full pay kids so if they gave you money you might get more. Congrats on your acceptance and Good Luck!

Has anyone received their acceptance packets in the mail yet?

My Son got accepted
International student

GPA : 3.86
SAT : 1480
Major : CS & Economics
No merit scholarship.

How does one appeal the merit? really want to make this work for my Son but right now it’s too much 

We are also going to ask about reconsidering merit - she got $14k the first year and $7k per non-coop semester after the first year. Her other merit offers are in the $25 - $30k per year range. I doubt they will reconsider, considering she’s pretty middle of the pack for NEU and the number of applications, but it can’t hurt to ask. We CAN pay with the amount she got, but I’d like to make this somewhat more affordable.

Stats

GPA - I think it’s about 4.1 W and 3.9 UW - will have 11 APs by the end of Sr year
ACT - 34 superscore with 33 her best in one sitting
School does not rank, but she is in the top decile
State - MN
major - business
Did not apply for financial aid
ECs - 4 years speech & debate (captain), 4 years DECA (state officer), peer mentor, 4 years of sport (1 year at varsity), NHS - not a lot of volunteer work, but has done some, part time job

For context for all, I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a merit appeal working, but financial aid appeals do seem to have a decent success rate.

@aidangag

I don’t believe I have heard of someone getting both NU.in and a scholarship. If you did, you would see it now though, not later.

These are similar to my son’s stats, and he got deferred. We are trying to figure out what his chances of getting in are. He does go to a poorly ranked high school, which may affect the decision. He did visit NU once, but hasn’t done anything else to show interest. He thinks the school may be “too white” for him, and maybe the school can sense that somehow, ha, ha.

I worked for admissions at another school. They definitely track contacts with a fine tooth comb!

I am from Boston, and I always take the T to NU. Much easier.

Because college costs the equivalent of twice my annual income every year.

I have 1 child at Michigan and 1 at Northeastern. If you have any questions, PM me.

The above was for okcorral

Daughter got accepted and she is thrilled. I do have concerns about the affordability but I really want to be able to let my daughter make a decision without worrying too much about finances. We were expecting a bit more of merit money as a National Hispanic Scholar and also maybe not to be too far off from the EFC. I do have some confort on the Northeastern Promise, but that does not apply to the Hispanic Scholarship.
We will contact the financial aid office to get more guidance. Also Northeastern requires 16 credits and a GPA of 3.0 while her other merit scholarship offers require 12 credits, maybe this has to do with the coops?

@ildro The National Hispanic Scholarship is $30,000 based on others reporting here.