Northeastern University 2020 EA

Has anyone gotten their admissions packets in the mail yet?

We have not. @FlyTheW are you in Chicago area too? Does anyone know what to expect? Official letter and brochures? Sticker? What can I say, I’m pretty excited for D20!

@ildro and any others interested

I’m not sure this will help, but I emailed the admissions office about the NHRP scholarship after turning in the necessary documentation through my admissions portal. Basically I asked them for more info and asked for a timeline of when I could expect an updated scholarship and this is what they said:

“ Congratulations on your admission to Northeastern University and your National Hispanic Recognition Program status. As you have provided documentation of your National Hispanic Recognition standing, within the next 2-3 weeks we will revise any scholarship and/or financial aid awards you may have already received from Northeastern to reflect your merit-based scholarship award. We will revise your scholarship and financial aid awards - unless your current award is already equal to or higher than the amount you receive as a National Hispanic Scholar. Northeastern National Scholarships replace any previously awarded merit scholarships and may result in a change to previously awarded Northeastern University Grant funds.

Revised financial aid and scholarship awards will be posted to your Application Status Check. Additionally, you can view any updates to financial aid awards through your myNortheastern Admitted Student Portal.”

I think this means I’ll hear back soon and as long as a NHRP scholar has submitted their certificate, they will replace the old merit (I had received the deans) with the Northeastern National scholarship as long as it’s more than what you had already received. I hope this helps!

when should LOCI be sent in for those who are deffered

@stainedglass and @animallover1212 I was told previously that the LOCI should be sent to your admissions office (AO) and around two weeks after you got the deferral.

@yrmomkb this question might be dumb, but would the appropriate address to send my LOCI to be admissions(at)northeastern(dot)edu? Or would it be the email address of my admissions counselor, as provided in the portal?

@stainedglass - I don’t have specific info about Northeastern, but for other schools I have worked with, it is the admissions counselor assigned to you.

I would like to hear you thoughts as well. Son is considering both schools for CS.

for the people who have written LOCIs did you submit it under the application portal as extra information or did you email it to your admissions counselor?

How co op works? During coop do we need to pay tution and can student use college dorm?please provide more info. Which one is good 2 coop or 3 coop ? Will get college credit?i appreciate your response. My daughter got in CS honor program. Just curious to know more about the university program.

@nitmom starting with the Northeastern website will help a lot, but answering the basics:

• You don't pay tuition
  • You can use on campus housing if your co-op is in Boston, though many choose to try other locations, particularly after the first one
  • You don't get college credit but you get paid in most all co-op's, quite well for CS ($27 an hour would be a good average estimate, though it varies of course - you can see more details under "suggested salaries" here: https://www.khoury.northeastern.edu/experiential-learning/employers/)
  • 2 vs 3 co-op's is a personal choice, it really depends on many factors. You don't have to decide right away either.

At its core, Co-op is about gaining experience in your field and having confidence in what you want to do postgrad.

https://careers.northeastern.edu/cooperative-education/

Thank you very much

@stainedglass not a dumb question at all – or at least it’s the same one i asked earlier in the thread! check out the answer i got in post #599. best of luck.

My D got into Northeastern EA but we’re looking to come out for a visit before deciding… there are a couple of things I wanted to get everyone’s feedback. It is a pre-professional type school where students end up getting good jobs from their coop experiences… is it a good school for premed to get into medical school? will medical schools on West Coast take note of NEU students that apply? Also she is in the NU.in program and i know first semester grades don’t transfer into the GPA - does that mean it is best not to take premed-type classes (e.g. bio, chem, math) or is it okay since it sounds like it is only a Pass/Fail grade when abroad… thanks!

@ocmomwith3 - I have a close friend who teaches there. Prior to that, she was at MIT for many years. She has also taught at a few other Boston area colleges. She says that Northeastern students are much more job focused than most schools and usually have a pretty straight line from school, classes, co-ops to paid jobs.

Medical schools are pretty aware of all undergrad schools nationwide. The important things are the courses she takes, the grades she gets, and her test scores. Basically study hard! Not sure about which classes to take first year re grading, but in general I would encourage students to start the science premed courses first year to 1) see if they like it (more students drop the goal of med school than keep with it after taking these classes) and 2) make sure she has space and time in her schedule to take all the classes she will need for med school applications. The latter is especially true if she wants to go abroad.

My son has already been accepted. Today, he received an email inviting him to join the Northeastern Global Engagement Program. Does anybody have information on it? Thank you!

@laura2019mom Looks to be a new program in the business school… very experiential, international and entrepreneurial… https://www.northeastern.edu/geo/nu-network/global-engagement-program/

@laura2019mom I also received this email today! It seems really interesting, I just wish there was more information/opinions about it. I will probably email Northeastern with questions soon

Probably a silly question but anyone have a perspective on if any shot at merit if deferred to RD? SAT:1500, ACT:34, wtd GPA 95/100. Decent ECs.

where did your daughter go for her NU.in semester? my D is also a biochem major -