Northeastern University 2020 EA

Are decisions for sure coming out this Wednesday?

@tessloven No one knows for sure until they come out. This week is most likely, most likely between Tuesday and Thursday. Calling admissions they will just say “by February 1”.

In the past NU has notified GC’s that decisions are coming out that afternoon and they are sworn to secrecy. A few GC’s blab it to students though.

My daughter received the email as well. Are they trying to confirm continued interest so if students have chosen other schools they can open up spot for EA?

Ugh this is torture!

since northeastern didn’t require a supplemental essay, how did people show interest?

@Runch315, in my son’s case we did 3 different visits. We did our original tour, we came back a couple of months later for a dept presentation, and then went back again a couple of months later for the invited “day at northeastern.” It helps on that front that we are from MA.

Thanks for replying.

Curious if you drove to NEU or took the T. We drove once but traffic and parking was awful. We’re from CT but I am not great at city driving.

My daughter has been pretty aware of making sure she is reading every email and she says she didn’t get the one about withdrawing her application.

Maybe they definitely don’t want her to consider withdrawing her application, @Coun2316 - could mean she is one that they are counting on to fill a needed slot as they craft their class. What are her stats and intended major?

The email from NEU sent out pertaining to withdrawing if you have been accepted somewhere was a mass email sent out to everyone.

These emails have gone out the past few years and there doesn’t appear to be any pattern. I really wouldn’t waste time trying to read into it

We always drive, but we are used to Boston driving. We live about 40 min west of the city so are in and out often. Driving to NEU off the pike is also super easy. And they set it up so parking was free each time!

To be fair, driving in and around Boston is not for the faint of heart and the T is great. Commuted via T for years when I worked in town. I say stick with what you are comfortable with.

Thanks for the response. I am a suburban driver so city driving is pretty scary for me. If DS gets in to NEU I’m sure I’ll suck it up and figure it out.

Did anyone receive a big brown envelope with “special delivery” stamped on it filled with polaroids and letters from students and stuff like that inside telling you to apply? Also a postcard “exclusively inviting” you to NU Preview Day? Both were from back in October. I also received a fee waiver maybe the end of October or beginning of November after I had already applied. Do these things mean a better chance of being accepted? Or are they sent to everyone- I did sign up for the mailing list when a rep came to visit my school is it from that?

@four4college @mtemmd There was a guide to Boston driving entitled “Wild in the Streets”. It is out of print now. I think the Boston Visitors Bureau got it banned as it was scaring away tourists :-). Here is the amazon link. You can preview the first few pages and the table of contents.
https://www.amazon.com/Boston-Drivers-Handbook-Streets-Almost/dp/0306813262/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=wild+in+the+streets&qid=1579542367&s=books&sr=1-2

@emma452 They have sent that out in past years to selected student. You are the first one to mention it on CC this cycle so it does not go out to a large number of people.

@TomSrOfBoston that book looks hilarious! I moved to New England from CA when I was in college. I still remember my friend giving me advice the first time I drove to Boston. I especially remember when he told me not to actually stop at this one particular light because it will just confuse everyone around me. ?

@Orcus2020 - I have been reprimanded for discussing her stats already lol. I think she’s in a good sweet spot of having grades, test scores and ECs that make her a strong candidate, but not so high that they think she’s using it as a safety. Her intended major is business. I guess we will see this week if there was any meaning to who did and did not get the email.

My daughter got that Big Brown envelope back in October. We thought it was an acceptance. Hoping it is a good sign, but who knows. I haven’t seen any mention of it either.

I’m a long time city driver, but I thought driving around NEU was sleepy - except the crosswalks. Folks (esp. students) are not adverse to jaywalking. So watch pedestrians in eskimo hoods that obscure their view dashing across Huntington!