Northeastern University 2021 EA

Honestly I totally agree.

GPA: 3.52 UW (school doesnā€™t weight) 3 honors, 2 AP (had undiagnosed learning disorders and gpa is now steadily rising)
2 legacy (mom and aunt), and neighbor (former dean of tone of the schools i believe) wrote a recommendation letter
Good amount of community service, okay ECs, and have been working as a waitress ~12 hours a week since sophmore year
emailed w counselor, went to bouve health sciences zoom (planned major )
does anyone know the likiehood of getting in after being deferred, or if there is anything we can do besides sending in midterm grades and possibly touring? Any info is super appreciated!!!

You can of course get both, but these donā€™t combine/ā€œstackā€ so you would get 30K only if that is already meeting whatever Northeastern thinks your need is. If thereā€™s still a gap, then FA can come in addition to the scholarship but it wonā€™t be extra above it.

This is my first post and want to thank everyone for all the important info that I have been reading over the past several weeks.

Like many others, my son was just deferred tonight and I had a quick question about how NE recalculates a weighted GPA. My understanding is that they add .5 for an honors class and 1 point for an AP class. Is this correct? His high schools provides numeric grades. Also how specific do they get? Does everything that has an ā€œAā€ grade start with a 4.0? Or is it more specific. For example, a 90 is a A- or a 3.7, so does NE add the .5 or the 1 point to the 3.7?

Hope my question makes sense. Thanks in advance.

Everything you said is how it works to my knowledge, including the 3.7 for A- specificity level and adding the weighting to that. That said, I wouldnā€™t focus on that small details of that too much as the recalculation is all going to come out the same in the end when comparing to the applicant pool. Really it only contextualizes the middle 50% accepted GPA range, which doesnā€™t need to be exact to compare to anyways.

Thanks so much for your quick reply! Very helpful.

I know Iā€™m over analyzing but forgot to ask one more question.

Are any classes removed from the recalculated GPA equation? PE, Electives?

Thanks again.

Decision: Accepted into the N.U.in program
SAT/ACT: 1410
GPA: 3.3 UW 4.1 W
State: TX
Major: Music Technology
Did you apply FA? Yes
EC: Music Production, Rock Band, International Volunteering, Filmmaking, Rowing, Rowing Coach

1 Like

Decision: Accepted!!! Also, received an International Scholarship (10,000 per year)
SAT/ACT: kinda Test-Optional, but submitted SAT Math 2 (710) and SAT Chemistry (770) as well as AP Calc BC (4) and AP Bio (4); TOEFL (112)
GPA: 4.0/4.12 (Took as many honors/ap classes as anyone possibly could)
State/Country: I am international, but go to school in CA
Major: Bioengineering and Biochemistry
Did you apply for FA?: no
EC: 2 summer internships in bio and chem labs, 2 leadership positions (prefect of a residential community and a club leader), golf and tennis JV teams, wrote a research paper under the supervision of Northwestern professor, 2 summer science schools, bio-business competition (finished in top 5%), volunteer as history and English teacher

1 Like

We have same problem. The NU AO does not respond to my sonā€™s email questions.

2 Likes

my stats were on the low side and they deferred meā€¦ pity deferral or? I mean iā€™m glad they didnā€™t straight up reject me but idk what i should do now. Itā€™s my top school!!

1 Like

Decision: accepted NUin
SAT/ACT: test optional
GPA: 4.06 weighted 9 APs and several honors
State/Country: Chicago IL
Major: bioengineering
Did you apply for FA?: yes but still owe forms

2 Likes

Decision: N.U.in program
SAT/ACT: 31
GPA: 3.67 UW
State/Country: MA
Major: Pharmacy
Did you apply for FA?: naw

All of you are so talented. Good luck to anyone who got deferred

1 Like

Decision: Accepted
SAT: 1550 (750 EBRW/800 Math)
GPA: European school but all Aā€™s so around 4 I guess
Major: Mathematics
FA? No

Iā€™m so happy!!!

1 Like

same stats :confused:

EA and RD acceptance rates are both +/-20%.

1 Like

Seems like theyā€™ve deferred many and not rejected any

If you read back on the thread there were rejections. Also rejected students are less likely to post that result.

i got accepted!

2 Likes

Is there a rough estimate on how many people they accepted?