Northeastern University 2021 EA

I also had a question about that. Is there anyway to apply into the honors program after receiving an admittance to Northeastern?

Iā€™m also curious about this- I think Iā€™m going to send it to my rep. Does anyone else have any idea about where to send a LOCI?

Becoming an Honors Student | Honors Program (northeastern.edu)
Joining Once You are at Northeastern

Matriculated students have the opportunity to apply to the University Honors Program during their first, second, or third semester of study at Northeastern. If selected for admission, students will enter the University Honors Program at the start of the following semester. Application decisions are made at the end of the fall and spring semesters, upon review of the studentā€™s application, faculty letter of recommendation, and grades.

Note: Students who entered Northeastern through any NUin Program may first apply for admission to the University Honors Program during their second semester. If admitted, students will join Honors in their second year and can begin taking Honors courses at that time.

NEU honors takes the top 10-15% of each college/major in thr admissions process. Among the students day to day, there really is no major difference. One big plus for frosh is honors housing in east village; more limited honors housing is provided for other years, but you must room with only honors students so many do not live in honors housing after frosh year. In years last, honors frosh were given a waiver for a summer travel class only after frosh year through dialogues of civilization courses; and access to up to $6000 more towards other global experiences, like DOC, global coop (many do not pay so this can cover flights etc.); honors alternative spring break etc. you have to complete 6 honors classes and many are smaller sections. ThEy also have some special programs for honorsā€¦ itā€™s a good program, but it depends on how much you make of it, but itā€™s not like students talk about it everyday. For those not in honors, they also have other programs and support to help with research, travel, etc so itā€™s not the only way to get that support.
Can you share what benefits or scholarships they mention in your honors admissions letter for this year as it seems to change a little bit each year?
https://undergraduate.northeastern.edu/honors/

3 Likes

Sure! The letter mainly outlines the Honors Scholarship, which is $25,000 a year for me! It also mentions ā€œunique interdisciplinary courses with smaller student to-faculty ratios, access to unique experiential learning opportunities, and advising tailored
to high achieving students.ā€

1 Like

Congrats on the scholarship! I wonder if theyā€™ve discontinued the honors specific global scholarship items for this year due to, perhaps, limited opportunities and they likely still have to make that up for last years honors froshā€¦ normally the letter has spelled out all the benefits. I imagine they mention honors housing as well?

I submitted it through the portal and reminded my ao about my continued interest in the school.

Hope that this helps!

I donā€™t believe they did for me in the portal, but I did Gert more information on that and other things in the packet that came in the mail.

Hey guys what should I write/include in my LOCI? I was deferred and this is a top choice, I just want to make sure that I am writing this letter correctly. Also, where do I submit it? Appreciate any and all help!

Look at my post #2550 on this thread, dated Feb 3 I think.

You can link directly to it by copying from the chain icon at the bottom of a post!

@jahjah400326

1 Like

For engineering (CompE and CS major), how does Northeastern compare with Georgia Tech? Is there anything that would make it worth an extra over 40,000+ per year [or consider it]?

Iā€™m a big advocate for Northeasternā€™s CS program, but GT is one of the best out there. At even cost itā€™d be about fit preferences to go Northeastern over GT, and most would probably give GT the edge there in a vacuum. If Iā€™m reading this right, GT at 40K less a year is a no brainer and an amazing option for CS/Engineering. If itā€™s 40K more a year for GT, then obviously the reverse. Basically, they are generally in the same ballpark with a slight edge to GT. Neither is worth 40K more a year than the other unless money is not a concern at all.

9 Likes

My s also admitted to NUIN with no merit. Can you negotiate for merit to start spring of freshman year?

Decision: Accepted
SAT/ACT: 1450
GPA: 4.10 W / 3.70 UW
State/Country: Pennsylvania
Major: CS
Did you apply for FA?: Yes
Pretty good ECs, multiple leadership positions, lots of science olympiad medals

Doubtful. Does he have a merit offer from a peer college? That may help.

Did you apply EA or regular? When did you receive your decision?

If they have already got their decision, they probably applied ea or ed! EA decisions came out in like the second to last friday of January

My son has a 10k per year merit from Case Western and accepted to NUIN with no merit or FA. Is this negotiable?

1 Like