Northeastern University Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

All student applicants will receive an official email to check their portals when their decision is announced, but they often see a heads up to look on IG etc first.

4 Likes

There will be some rejections from EA, but usually students are deferred to RD round if not accepted into one of the programs offered.

3 Likes

My son declined global scholars. Committed to another school with an exceptional
Program that gives him more individual attention. To expect 18 yr olds to have two campus experiences in one year (one of which is brand new and not offering full scale social life or club life) and not matriculate with the other freshman is not a way to make potential students feel welcome to NEU. And then to say, “we’re not sure you will be able to get all your credits done in 4 yrs bc global scholars might not have everything you need” is frankly rude. Quite a money grab IMHO.

16 Likes

Agree on the money grab, I also heard that courses taken during the time abroad are pass/fail. Not sure if that is true, but I would not be ok with that.

2 Likes

The courses abroad are taken for letter grades, but because they show up as transfer credits on the NU transcript, they do not factor into the NU GPA (essentially pass/fail, just like when a student transfers credits between any other universities).

1 Like

That’s interesting, and actually makes no sense, like a lot of other things at NEU!

I distinctly remember that somewhere in his admission letter it said something about maintaining a 3.0 gpa in global scholars in order to enroll at the Boston Campus the next year, so it sounds like that is nonsense considering gpa isn’t accounted for during the global scholars program. My son is used to a highly rigorous program in high school and this sounds completely sub par.

1 Like

Good luck to your child too!

2 Likes

I actually disagree. My daughter wanted NUIN. She was offered Global scholars. After initial moment of disappointment she quickly warmed up to idea and is 99% sure she will accept. And is super excited. I get that it isn’t for everyone, but on the zoom about global scholars they said they identify kids who might thrive in this program—kids who have demonstrated interest in travel, maturity etc
 My daughter lives in an east coast city. She takes subway to public school. She spent summer in Europe last summer in an exchange program,. For her, the program seems great. She spends one semester in London and one in Oakland. She lives on East Coast and believes it is her one chance to live on west coast. And even if not perfect, is 4 months. I think every kid is different, but my child has no hesitation about heading to Boston for year 2, and is thrilled about her first year option.

14 Likes

Like your son, and many of the students who applied to NU, my daughter also had a highly rigorous high school program in which she earned a full year’s worth of college credits via AP classes, plus she finished high school in three years. She indicated on her application that she preferred to start with NUin, and she went on to have an incredibly enriching experience in Dublin. I can’t speak to the specific requirements of the Global Scholars program because that isn’t the program that my daughter completed, but I do know that she came back to the Boston campus with credits that now place her credits-wise in the second semester of her second year.

It sounds like you may have some questions about how the Global Scholars program works, and I suggest you reach out to the admissions office for that clarity. If this program isn’t a good fit for your son, that’s ok. It works for some and not for others, but just because it may not be the right program for your son doesn’t mean that it is a nonsense or sub-par program. There are over 2800 colleges in the U.S., so there is a place for everyone. I hope your son finds his fit just like my daughter found hers.

5 Likes

He found the right fit and is already committed. Thanks!

OFC Global Scholars might be the right fit for others, so have at it! Only offering our perspective, which is what this forum is for! And I do think it’s important to be critical consumers given the high price tag :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m assuming your daughter isn’t studying engineering? We looked at the course listings for Fall 2022 NUin, to get a better understanding of how the program works. For a student coming in with typical STEM AP credits, there are very few courses that would be applicable to an engineering major and wouldn’t already be covered by AP credit. This was disappointing, as it seemed like it would be difficult to make progress towards my son’s major in the fall semester.

1 Like

She is a Behavioral Neuroscience major on a pre-med track, although one of her roommates who also started in Dublin is an engineering major. Dublin had a large number of STEM majors, so I’m not sure which NUin course listings you were referencing, as each location offers different courses. NU works with the host university to ensure there is an apples-to-apples courses at the host that matche a course at NU so the credits transfer easily when they return to Boston.

The only way to evaluate accurately is to speak to admissions at NU after the NUin locations and course listings are announced. My daughter completed her NU Path requirements when she was in Dublin and also took Chemistry again so she was fresh and ready for Organic Chemistry 1, which she is taking this semester. From here on out, the only classes she will be taking are those required for her major plus the pre-med requirements.

1 Like

I’m looking at this document, maybe you have something more current? https://nuin.northeastern.edu/wp-content/uploads/2022-NUin-Course-Description-Guide_-3.30.22.pdf

2 Likes

This is something similar to the one we used, which was a grid that also broke down the courses according to what requirements they fulfilled and what D’s major requirements were. I don’t think I have that anymore, but I’m sure the school can provide something to you.

I would caution you to wait until you speak to them before determining that it might not be a fit, because they’ve done this a lot of times before (the Dublin program has been running over a decade) and given how AP-friendly they are, I’m sure they’ve worked with all kinds of incoming credit situations. I remember having a million questions regarding my daughter’s situation, and they handled it well.

1 Like

Congrats on UMD! Amazing school!

You may very well be correct, especially if your child has so many AP courses. I would suggest however that you ask for the course offerings for 2023. I have found that there is a constant change to these programs and offerings.

My '22 is currently in NU Bound in London studying business. Last year at this time when we looked at the course offerings, we were very unimpressed. NU had recently purchased NCH in London, which was primarily focused on humanities. It is no longer NCH, but Northeastern London and NU completely changed the curriculum offered to the NU Bound/In students to mirror NU Boston.

4 Likes

If students are deferred, when would they get official word of a decision?

1 Like

They would come out with the RD decisions in late March.

1 Like

My son did not get the email in the morning. Only an email to check his portal for decision in the later afternoon. He was accepted.

2 Likes

Hopefully they are specific then as to when to look for a decision for those it applies to! When did RD come out last year?

So today should be THE DAY for those of us waiting-let’s hope they don’t make any announcements prolonging that!