Notification

<p>@5boys. Yes, numbers of Asians are in low number at LAC’s. However, I don’t believe (personally) that top schools such as Colorado College would accept URM’s that have major financial need and lower than average test scores just for the sake of increasing diversity. That would go against the whole concept of being a high ranking college–Academics! Why would they pay more for someone less prepared? it certainly doesn’t make their college look better. I truly believe in the holistic approach that LAC admissions use, they consider ALL factors. With most emphasis placed on Academics, obviously.</p>

<p>Even if CC accepted all the students who attended the Diversity Open Houses (there were two weekends), that doesn’t really indicate that they accepted sub-par students. Each weekend they hosted about 50 students, but they had to apply to attend, and that application served as an early read - they had to submit test scores and transcripts before they were invited. My D and I attended, and I can tell you that none of the students I met were sub-par. A few had low test scores, but those were balanced by very high class rank, and ECs. The weekend also gave the admission staff an extra opportunity to observe these kids, and evaluate them. There were a few that showed they would make a wonderful contribution to any campus, based on their character, even if they were not the best students.</p>

<p>And I know for a fact that not all who applied EA were accepted. I remain in contact with a small of the parents, and I know of at least one that was deferred. Not only don’t I think they would spend loads of money on a student who isn’t likely to succeed, but I also don’t think they would spend loads of money trying to recruit such a student. The open house was all about recruiting them, as well as the parents, but it also was about facilitating the admissions process for them. Theirs was the only open house I know of where the FA office not only met with the parents, but set aside time to help us complete the CSS profile.</p>

<p>I definitely don’t think that CC is rejecting higher stat ORM’s to admit lower stat URM’s. I think that when it comes to giving out aid, the $ is saved for the URM they would like to attract, not the white male with the same stats as the URM. I am not saying that what they are doing is wrong… they can do whatever they want. I have no hard feelings, but I know that my high stat kid was probably rejected for a same stat and less need kid. I am sure if he would have been a URM, he would have been accepted and with a great package to boot. It is what it is.</p>

<p>I was accepted to Macalester who is also need aware. I think they consider it a lot less in admissions than CC does. I just have this feeling they don’t accept many white kids who need a lot of aid.</p>

<p>You hit the nail on the head thirdplanet. I would love someone to post who was white, needed a lot of aid, and got in.</p>

<p>Congrat’s on Macalester thirdplanet…is that where you are headed? Great school and absolutely fabulous city to go to school in. Couldn’t get my DS12 to bite because he wanted a more mountain setting as he is a competitive rock climber and mountaineer.</p>

<p>I really don’t want to negatively influence prospective students who might be reading this thread. For the record, Colorado College is not need blind. BUT. I am white, female and applied for aid and I was accepted with scholarship. The school is need aware, but that absolutely does not mean they are out to automatically reject students with financial need.</p>

<p>Last year’s RD acceptance rate was 15%. With numbers that low, hundreds of qualified students don’t get in. While full pay and minority students have a bit of an advantage, there are probably many non white and/or full pay students who didn’t get in too. I don’t think a rejection can be solely based on race and finance when so few people get in at all. “Qualified” is subjective and not determined by just test scores and GPA. </p>

<p>No matter where you end up next year, your college experience depends on how you make the most out of it. Best wishes to everyone.</p>

<p>Ellasanta, well said. I just know one applicant to CC, stats were above CC averages, very good extracurriculars with leadership, good writer so I assume the essays were good, not a minority, full pay and she was not admitted. Is she supposed to find a reason that she was ripped off by the CC system or accept it and go somewhere that wants her. 15% is very selective, it is a stretch school for anyone in my mind.</p>

<p>If all a college wanted to do was boost diversity stats then you wouldn’t have so many colleges (CC included) where miniorties are underrepresented. It’s extremely foolish to assume you’d be accept just if you were a different race. A waitlisted student? Yeah, that might have been the difference. Rejected? You were rejected.</p>