Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant?

<p>What is the difference and which one involves more blood? I was thinking of specializing in pediatrics.. either pediatric nurse practitioner or pediatric physician assistant. Which one has better job outlook/employment? Please Help! Thanks!!</p>

<p>Both require about the same amount of schooling, 4 year undergrad then 2-3 years of grad(depending on where you go). NP’s are actually more on the rise than PA’s due to the new health care bill approaching. Also, the NP’s work under collaboration agreements, meaning they can work for themselves and have their own practice, whereas PA’s work under a physician. In some areas of the US Np’s are able to work without collaboration agreements and with the new health care the rest of the states will soon follow this. I think it depends on what type of NP or PA you are to determine how much blood you see. With pediatrics you probably wouldn’t see much blood in either. Also, if you’re moved by money, then you may like to know that NP’s make more. Usually around 100,000. PA’s usually 80,000 to 90,000 maybe in the 100,000’s with lots of experience. But this varies from what part of the US you live in.</p>

<p>Some Physician’s Assistant programs can be completed in 5 years. For example, DeSales U. has students do 3 years as an undergrad and 2 years as a grad student in PA., if you enter the program from high school.</p>

<p>I asked a DeSales PA student about whether they had classes with nursing students. He said no, they were separated.</p>