Nursing Class of 2026 (Direct Admit BSN)

Crazy that wanting to be a nurse is so exclusive! Run of the mill business majors have strong upside and lower requirements.

Nursing graduates appear to be in much higher demand than business graduates. Example:

Note that pre-nursing (not direct admit) at this school was more selective than all of the different business majors:

My daughter was rejected from all Cal State nursing. Unfortunately, i couldn’t afford Mount Saint Mary’s in Belair with a payment arrangement of $2,000 per month for eleven months. That’s just on the parents.

@RNmomof4 U of Utah was a top choice outside of CA. They gave my son a WUE scholarship which would make the COA comparable to an in-state UC and CSU. I hear you about the WOW factor. I was eagerly looking forward to a visit if he didn’t end up with any in state option. Congrats to your son. I hope he chooses the U!

1 Like

Nursing sounds as competitive as engineering in a lot of places, maybe harder. My nieces did CC for their RN but it took three years. One is working on her BSN paid for by the hospital while the other is off “traveling” to earn six figures. Both in early to mid-twenties.

2 Likes

If she is certain she wants to be a nurse then she might want to consider Plan B, get her RN at a community college (an ADN which is an associates degree in nursing) and then go to one of the RN->BSN programs. Of course she’d have to look at the admission requirements for the ADN program to make sure the first part works.

Once you have an RN you are employable and can work part-time to help pay for your remaining schooling, if needed. RN->BSN programs tend to much be easier to get into than 4-year BSN programs. For example Fullerton has partnerships with local CCs and says in their FAQ “Historically, the RN-BSN pathway has not been impacted so all applicants who met the minimum admission requirements have been admitted.” Often the RN->BSN programs are online but there also are on-campus programs.

It is a different college experience, to be sure, but for someone who wants to become a nurse it may be an option worth considering.

4 Likes

We have very good friends whose kids took a different route from the 4 year direct admit track to get their nursing degree. One started in CSULB pre-nursing, did not get accepted into their clinical program and went on to earn her nursing degree as a transfer student into another clinical program that accepted her. The other earned a Bachelor non nursing degree and pursued a nursing degree thru an accelerated BSN program. Both are now very successful registered nurses with full time jobs.

2 Likes

We went to admitted students day for Cal State Fullerton nursing and were told by the nursing advisor they received 3k applications and offered only 50 spots. Hoping for at least 40 to commit.

It was another brutal year for direct admit nursing in California. APU is a great alternative and would have cost us about the same as the CSUF with all the merit they offered. Congrats to everyone who got in over there.

5 Likes

I have followed your story. Your daughter seems to have some excellent back up options if you decide to go the Bio route. She can always do an accelerated program after. Or the pre-nursing 2 year with transfer option. We applied to several schools as pre-nursing as a back up. Although harder with the impaction here in California it is very doable.

My DD has decided to attend Michigan State University’s Honors College and School of Nursing in their direct-admit Nurse Scholar program. After attending their admitted-student event on Saturday, she knew it was the place for her!

12 Likes

Received this from UNM this morning (April 20) when asked when decisions would be going out for direct admit BSN. This is CRAZY! Will by far be our cheapest option and I have heard good things about the program. Maybe I should wish for a denial so it doesn’t complicate things. Im heading out on Monday to AZ for a few days to do a last min visit for son (ASU, UofA, and NAU) so I wont have time to visit UNM. I suppose we could SIR to Westminster or PLU and then visit UNM in the next few weeks and lose our deposit if that is her best option. I didn’t ask when the SIR date was for UNM.

“Thank you for applying to The UNM College of Nursing Freshman Direct Entry program! Given the extended deadline of the Pre-Licensure BSN program, the decisions for the Freshman Direct Entry program have been significantly delayed. Applicants of The Freshman Direct Entry program should expect an email with final decisions no later than April 25th. Please continue to check your email inbox, spam and junk folders so as to not miss any communication from us. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.”

Ugh, I can’t believe they’re making students wait that long!

UNM results are finally out. Was in daughter junk mail received yesterday at 3pmish

At this point, this is our cheapest option.

Tuition Room and Board Merit/Wue Grants Cost of T/R/B
U of New Mexico 24,500 10,396 17,053 *2,500 17,843

"Congratulations! I am pleased to inform you that you have been selected for admission to The University of New Mexico College of Nursing Freshman Direct Entry Pre-Licensure BSN Program for the Fall 2022 term. Upon review of your application, our faculty knew you were exactly the kind of student we would like to have in our program.

At the College of Nursing, we are preparing nurse scholars and practitioners who find smarter ways of serving unique populations. Our students and alumni are inquisitive professionals who are addressing cutting-edge delivery of care, as well as health equity as it relates to rural health, biobehavioral health, data science and health policy issues. Our nursing faculty members are among the best in the country and are recognized for their innovation, excellence in care and collaboration across the health disciplines.

I am confident that you will flourish in our program. As a student, you will experience the incredible support of our faculty and staff who will guide you throughout your time with us.

Please confirm your decision regarding enrollment in the program by submitting the attached forms by May 15, 2022, to The College of Nursing Admissions & Recruitment Office. You can submit these forms by email at hsc-con-admissions@salud.unm.edu. We very much hope that you will decide to attend The University of New Mexico College of Nursing Freshman Direct Entry Pre-Licensure BSN Program. If you have any questions regarding your acceptance or the program, please contact our Admissions & Recruitment Office at (505) 272-4721 or by email at hsc-con-admissions@salud.unm.edu.

Once again, congratulations on your acceptance from all of us here at the UNM College of Nursing. I look forward to welcoming you to our program. Go Lobos!"

9 Likes

Congrats! Good like with the FINAL decision! So many amazing options! :stethoscope::love_hotel::books::two_hearts:

My uncle and adult cousin’s family live in ABQ. UNM is a fine option. Good mix of big city with underserved population. Nice school spirit and skiing is close.

2 Likes

https://hsc.unm.edu/nursing/_docs/ug-student-handbook-2022-2023.pdf page 31 lists the progression requirements. Basically, the student needs to earn a C (77%) or higher in every course to avoid being dismissed from the program.

3 Likes

Congrats! My daughter received scholarship information from UNM. They have alumni scholarships for California. I believe the final date to apply is 4/30. Worth a try if she plans on attending and has an essay to reuse.

(https://www.unmalumni.com/s/1730/20/interior-2col.aspx?sid=1730&gid=2&pgid=1742)

1 Like

Congratulations! S22 checked his spam folder and found the same acceptance email from the UNM college of Nursing. Love the lucky schools that love our kids back!! I think your daughter has some excellent options. I’ll be eagerly waiting to hear where she decides to go.

3 Likes

I am in-state CA

I applied to: UCI, CSF,SDSU and pre-nursing at CSULB

UCI: waitlist then got accepted for alternate major (not nursing)
SDSU: accepted for nursing
CSULB: accepted for pre-nursing
CSF: rejected (wrote a really bad supplemental essay)

stats:

GPA: 4.4-4.58 (don’t remember exactly which one)
took total of 6 AP courses 4 honors and 9 community college courses (from freshman year to senior year)
submitted only one AP score : CALC AB (5)
Maybe helpful things about my course selection:

• was in a magnet program that emphasized the humanities courses (English and history were particularly more difficult)
    -finished all offered math courses in junior year (senior year took two science courses instead for fun)
7 Likes

Congrats @livian_hui1, you won the lottery!

So we have 1 in state kiddo that got into SDSU so far on CC. :slight_smile:

The Cal State GPA only goes up to 4.4
Rank doesn’t count (its not reported on the CSU application- only the UCs ask for that)
Are you local because that also might have helped?
You clearly have rigor
and humanities courses would not have helped as stated they look at strong grades in science and math. " Nursing : You must earn a B or better grade in high school intermediate algebra, biology, and chemistry with lab courses for consideration. If AP or IB level courses are taken in these areas, you must earn a B or better grade in the course. Preference is given to applicants who have taken and earned strong grades in science and mathematics courses. Review our first-year students nursing prerequisite requirements for more information

Im sure you will have a wonderful experience at SDSU. :slight_smile:

Again, a warm congratulations to you.

:slight_smile:

1 Like