Nursing in Community College

<p>Why is it elitism if one believes the education and opportunities afforded at a BSN school are significantly better then the education provided at a CC???..Are those who attend a BSN school gettting “snookered?” ;)</p>

<p>Uh oh -------</p>

<p>“Snookered” is a bad thing, right ? ;)</p>

<p>I don’t think you should look at the type of school. I think you should look at the nursing program itself.</p>

<p>I think it has been said, but many nursing students plan to eventually attend graduate school. My daughter is in that category. She would definitely be at a disadvantage if she attended a community college. It wouldn’t matter if the community college had the “best” perceived nursing program in the country, and offered ten times as many clinical hours than a college that offers a BSN. She wouldn’t have even considered such a program.</p>

<p>^ I think that’s not right. If it were the best nursing program in the country then why should she be at a disadvantage? There are many RN-MSN programs, so a bachelors is not needed to be able to attend a graduate program.</p>

<p>Yes, for example, the University of Maryland Baltimore has a “direct entry MSN” program. It is highly competitive, and since the OP mentioned having a bad GPA, she would likely not be admitted. </p>

<p>The OP could also go to one of the schools that only offer BSNs to students who already have a bachelor’s degree. Duke has a program like that. I don’t know of any others.</p>

<p>But since she already has a bachelor’s degree, and not a great GPA, community college is probably the most practical option for her.</p>

<p>"…so a bachelors is not needed to be able to attend a graduate program. "</p>

<p>For the Masters programs that my daughter is interested in she would absolutely need a Bachelors Degree. </p>

<p>I would guess that most graduate programs require a Bachelors degree, not just an RN.</p>

<p>And I said best “perceived” program. I do not think a cc would ever offer what my daughter was looking for. So for her, I was right. She wasn’t looking for a cc.</p>

<p>I think for most MSN programs, you would need a Bachelor’s degree of some type, just not necessarily a BSN.</p>

<p>The programs that I’ve heard about combine the BSN and MSN coursework so you don’t need a bachelors to get into them.</p>